Sunday, January 17, 2016

Cross Stitching a Sampler Delayed

I was in deep need of something to cross stitch Saturday night. I have no real store to get anything close by.  I am so loving cross stitching my monthly cottages. I am out of the cloth I wanted to use for March, so I ordered it. Waiting for it to arrive has found me with several days of no stitching.


After going to the farmhouse yesterday, I knew I needed to do a sampler for the dining area. I went looking in my handy dandy tub of old books. I came across this old magazine from 1993. Remember, I have a hard time throwing anything away. An organized pack rat.


I started Saturday night. Gathered my thread and found some linen large enough. Worked on it a little last night.

This afternoon I sat down to do a bit more. It was then that I realized that there was a serious flaw in the pattern. 


Did you catch it? There is a missing letter in the alphabet. There is no "J." 

I was so aggravated, but seriously glad I discovered it before I was anymore invested in it. The pattern as well as the picture of the finished product had the mistake in it. Arghhh!

While I am it, the magazine did have something right. You see that cover?!


It inspired one of my favorite shirts ever. I wore this baby back in the nineties. Remember, I am an organized pack rat, so yes, I still have it. It is yellowed since it was a cheaper shirt. I loved that blanket stitch down the center.


Looks a little worse for wear these days.

I really should have looked for an old picture of me wearing it, but I was lazy.


It may actually be time to throw the shirt away and cross stitch those hens on something else to put in my farmhouse.


As for the sampler, I ordered two patterns this afternoon. One by Blackbird Designs and the other by With Thy Needle and Thread. I will do a sampler for the farmhouse after all.

Hubby and I went to see 13 Hours this evening. Hard to watch, but in my opinion one to see.

Ready to stitch, but maintaining patience,
Sandy



7 comments:

  1. Loved seeing your hen shirt & the beginnings of your sampler. I've always been told that long ago the letters I and J were used interchangably and therefore there were not separate characters for each. There are many old samplers that only have one or the other. Perhaps this designer created this sampler in that spirit of old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary, I didn't know that about the I and J. Now, I will be on the lookout for that. Glad you took the time to let me know that!

      Delete
    2. Mary, I just read a post over at With Thy Needle and Thread blogspot about that very thing. Two things occurred in older samplers: the letters being interchangeable as well as having a mistake somewhere in the sampler because only God was perfect.

      Delete
  2. So glad you caught it before you had done too much Sandy!! I did not see it until you pointed it out. And I love that shirt. I used to cross stitch on shirts and on sweatshirts back in the day but I have none of mine. Could you cut out a portion and make a little pillow for your farm house? Or maybe put a hanger on it and hang in on a cabinet knob or perhaps use it on a wreath? Like you, I would hate to toss out all that work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to give some thought to how I can save those little chickens. Another poster said that older samplers went with the letters I and J being used interchangeably. I am going to have to research that! Love when someone out there in blog land pipes up with useful information!

      Delete
    2. I just read a post over at With Thy Needle and Thread blogspot about that very thing. Two things occurred in older samplers: the letters being interchangeable as well as having a mistake somewhere in the sampler because only God was perfect.

      Delete
  3. I know the Amish make one error in all their quilts because only God is perfect. When I goof up I take that as my reasoning as well.lol

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy