Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Thoughts This Tuesday

Today I am going to share something I read a couple of weeks ago in my Bible study time. It has been marinating in me for a time and thought I would share it with you.

I had been studying Acts with my First 5 app. The message in the app that day had nothing to do with what stopped me in my tracks. I came to a verse and in the middle of it ---I just stopped. I read it like three times. The rest of the chapter was lost on me as well as the message of the app that day.

But this verse just spoke to me. It made me go off on a different path with my thoughts and one that I have pondered since.

I need to give you just a bit of background...
AND I will give you a quick and watered-down bit of background....OK?!

The apostles are a bit overwhelmed (a good present day word) and needed help. They selected 7 men of good reputation, full of wisdom and Spirit to assist. (my take --present day elders)

Stephen was one of those...

Description 
from Scripture of Stephen.

Acts 6:8 
And Stephen, full of grace and power, was performing great wonders and signs among the people.

Stephen is arrested for the above and brought before the same council that had tried Jesus and the Apostles.

I am not to my point yet, but this is so cool about Stephen before the Council.

Acts 6:15
"And fixing their gaze in him, all who were sitting in the Council saw his face like that of an angel."

Oh, that others might see Jesus in me like that...

Rather than speaking to the Council to talk about himself and the charges, he systematically goes through the history of the Israelites and how the Jews had ignored God's message over and over. 

Chapter 7 of Acts chronicles the Israelites from Abraham to Solomon.

Basically, Stephen proves to the council that they have done way worse than him from their own Scriptures.

In the middle of this great chapter and Stephen's talk, one verse just stopped me in my tracks...

Acts 7:23 talking about Moses
"But when he was approaching the age of forty, it entered his mind to visit his brethren, the sons of Israel."

It entered his mind ---

It entered his mind. I try to make sure I am in tune with the Holy Spirit through Scripture reading, prayer, just being aware of Him throughout my day. Many times things enter my mind. Thoughts of calling or writing a note, or sometimes simply someone pops into my brain and I know they are struggling. I feel led to lift them up in prayer.

BUT......
how many times do those things enter my mind and I just never follow through with those ideas if you will that pop into my mind.

Lately, I have really tried to stop and pray if something comes to mind and if in a while that thought is still there to call and check on something or write a note to ACTUALLY follow through.

What if Moses had not followed through on what I believe was the Spirit leading him to visit his brethren?

God would have had to use someone else, because His purposes will be fulfilled, but what about the blessings missed by listening and following through?

Just a thought for today. I think we need to be walking with God and praying and reading His word, etc. to be assured those thoughts entering our  mind are indeed from God.

Just sharing my thoughts on this Tuesday,
Sandy






2 comments:

  1. Sandy, that is something that I have really worked on in the last year. I try to act on impulses that I feel the Lord has placed on my heart FOR A REASON!! It is hard and it takes discipline because I can often tell myself, this is silly, no one wants to hear from you etc.....Thank you for confirming something in my heart that I feel is a God project for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT is hard, because I do the same thing...think no one wants to hear from me. I am trying to do more it also.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy