Saturday, August 11, 2018

LOTS of Random Thoughts and Then Stitching Finish / Progress

I am popping in today after taking a week off from so much computer and outside world to take care of some stuff at home.

I had said I was going to take August to get order back in the house before "the busy" of football season and my new grandbaby gets here.

I turned off the TV most days this past week. I scheduled my computer times and limited it greatly. I turned on music...everything from Doris Day to country and all in between to work. AND a whole lot of quiet too.

I made it to the gym one day this week and plan to get back into my three days a week this next week. No excuses!!! Also I cooked three nights this week and made breakfast for my husband four times this week. Time to get back to eating right too. We ate at an event one night and did our usual Mexican on Friday night. Real proud of myself!

I read some and cleaned out some books too. I am not one that likes to get rid of books. I have bookcases in lots of rooms and usually regret getting rid of a book, but I had a few actually sticking in the cabinet next to my stitching chair that I stuck there to actually read. I knew I never would. Most were given to me ...so no real special books were done away with.

I have started writing down book titles I want to read and cross stitch patterns I want to stitch in order to have lots of both that I can't possibly get to.
I am using the library more for fiction reads, but when I read a nonfiction I usually like to own it. I have one fiction book on my Kindle waiting for the right time to start, because it is one of those books that I know if I start NOTHING else will get done until I finish. You know...I am one of those people who likes to hold that book in her hand too.
I am doing much better about not buying stitching patterns until I ready myself for them. I do have a new one, but started it immediately. More about that in a minute.

I decided to change up what I do at church as well.
This Sunday, I am spending my last week with preschoolers. I have had the itch for awhile to change. I actually never thought I would ever enjoy preschoolers, but I did.
In 2010, I gave up working with the youth group because my youngest graduated from high school. I actually went to work with the wee ones which is so out my groove, but it worked because I didn't want to do elementary since I taught elementary school everyday.
Anyway, I am retired and ready to teach them again. I am not sure if I will get a group of boys and girls 2nd and 3rd grade or 4th and 5th grade girls, as I told our director to put me where she needed me. Technically, we try and have a teacher start with them in Kindergarten and travel with them to 5th grade, but being a military community that means our church groups change a lot. I am hoping for the 4th and 5th grade girls, but I will find out this next week.  I have to miss a few times in September and that stinks with starting a new group, but sometimes you just can't help it.

Oh, and I also gave up going on Tuesdays to volunteer when Mom fell. I am going to be keeping Tucker for the first year when he is born, so I had to give up volunteering there. That was hard for me to do. I am not good at saying no.

Speaking of that...I didn't get to do any of the finishes I have piled up by the sewing machine because I needed to sew a drop cloth into a sized banner for church. They are opening some new youth rooms and asked me to do it. What should have been such an easy project was a tad frustrating. I didn't get it small enough the first time I cut and sewed up the sides. Had to cut some more off....totally my fault. Then I needed to put buttonholes in the top. I knew the bobbin was acting funky, but rather than change it out I went on and on the second of the three buttonholes, it jammed up. The banner is still sitting in the sewing machine. I simply must go back and pull it out and finish it today. UGH!!!
I swear I think my old sewing machine from college works way better than my new expensive one.

About missing time at church (I said LOTS of random thoughts)...football season starts and there are a lot of home games in September for Auburn. HOT is what that means. I am hoping most are at night. Also, Lindsay has a baby shower in Atlanta one of the September weekends. We have one here in two weeks. I am excited for her.

I baked a cake this week and took almost all of it to neighbors. My purpose was to take some to my neighbor who I have mentioned before whose husband has an early onset of Alzheimer's coupled with something like Lou Gehrig's. IT has a name...very rare. SO SO SAD. Anyway, I took Lemony down with me because she loves the lady. She knows where she keeps dog treats and always snuck off to go visit her before the husband got sick. One day she quit going, and then I knew something was wrong. I swear Lemony is part human!!!! Y'all she just knows...could have been a great therapy dog. She is so good...



I think that is it for my random thoughts...well, maybe one more...Mom seems to be doing better. Praise BE!

Now, for some stitching progress...

I am waning on my rotation. I will show the ones that are getting less time and ---

I am fully okay with that. I have always been a bit of a one stitch at at time. I am not in a hurry either. Life is hurry up enough as it is. Why should I rush?!!!

First up is my Autumn cottage.  Love it!!!! I thought I couldn't possibly love this one as much as the spring and summer ones, but I do. The little squirrels...😍
The thread is Classic Colorworks Cinnamon Stick and that is EXACTLY what it looks like.


I have absolutely loved doing these. I did them on 28 count and they have made the perfect little pillows for my church pew. Here are spring and summer

I have winter to do. I am actually going to start that one soon. In the mood. IT is slightly different from the other three in that it has two cottages with trees in the middle. I have chosen a light blue to do it on.


Then there are the two longer pieces I am working on that are probably going to get less time now: the space shuttle and the Helen Keller piece.


I haven't done a ton on the school house piece, but hope to do some more on it this next week. I saw where Marlene of Floss Tube did this on 28 count and it looked wonderful. Made me feel better about my choice.


Now, for some other things I am working on...

The Prairie Schooler Santa which I am trying on 40 count. Arlene (Nanaland) sent me some more PS Santas too.


My new purchase was the Blackbird Designs "Spell of the Moon." It came in this week and I promptly started it. I ordered the called for 32 count. 32 count to me is that gray area where it is hard to decide on 1 or 2 strands of floss and there are lots of opinions. The weave on this piece was so loose that I was just not crushing on the one strand. I did some of both and I have decided to finish it with two strands.





I may actually do two of these: one for me and one for my daughter.



AND if that isn't enough to keep me busy...
I have a stack now building of things I need to fully finish and I cut out a romper for Tucker. Hoping to get it sewn by the shower in a couple of weeks. 

I guess I better get off of the computer again and get busy! 

Gus has started bringing me toys to toss, so it really is time to get off.
Sandy




12 comments:

  1. Love the pictures of Lemony and Gus! The expressions on their faces make me smile. It sounds like you have had a productive time, Sandy. I like your Autumn stitch and look forward to seeing it in pillow form. Your other WIPs are looking good. Are you stitching the schoolhouse piece over one or two? Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing it over two. I just can't do the over one. My eyes can not handle it. It is just not neat enough for my liking. I envy those that can do the small stuff. IT will mean mine is much larger, but I decided to go ahead with it. I so wanted to do those ...school teacher in me I guess.

      Delete
  2. Oh my Sandy I'm tired just reading about all you have been doing. Where do you find this energy? Good for you giving so much back to your community and church. Love all of your stitches in progress. That blue linen is gorgeous...it almost looks blue grey. It's so pretty. I agree with you about Weeks linen...it can be very flimsy and tear easy too. I'm doing the schoolhouse series on 28ct. lugana over one. I have to wear two sets of reading glasses to see any small stitches but I love how it looks when it is done. I think yours will look great when it is done over two also. Have you decided how you will finish them? Love the photos of your two cutie pies Lemony and Gus. Lemony is human with his feelings so alert...I love him. RJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree; Lemony is amazing:)
      I think I am going to do pillows even though they will be larger. I am going to take a wait and see approach. I could possibly do something with the ABC one since it is larger and then do pillows with the others. I will be on the lookout for something interesting. In December, I am going to an antique show in Pine Mountain, Georgia. They always have unique items, so who knows maybe something will catch me eye then and determine the finish for me!
      With 32 count, the weave of the linen can so determine how something looks. I worked a good bit more with two threads yesterday and it looked so much better. Never know!

      Delete
  3. You have been very productive!! Love all the stitches. I am doing a 32 count piece and I tried two but it was too bulky so I changed to one. The fabric style does make a difference. Tucker will be the best dressed boy in town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The linen weave makes all the difference with 32 count. I even asked Lindsay and Jeff to make sure I wasn't just being me. They both agreed it needed the two strands. Sometimes I envy Priscilla who just says with confidence I am doing it all on the same kind, but then I like to know if I would like something better.
      You just have to trust your instincts at the end of the day. You are the one that has to live with it.
      I don't know if Tucker is going to be the best dressed "Grammie sewed it" boy or not, but I am going to do two things because I have the fabric for them already and then if I don't love doing it I will buy his stuff and cross stitch him something:)

      Delete
  4. Sandy, You certainly are getting lots done!! First, I'm so happy to hear your Mom is doing better. Lemony is a great therapy dog!! Such a sweet face, she looks so relaxed while Gus looks like he is always on the go! Oh, I LOVE that French Country Blue color, who makes that linen? I am going to do the ABC series on 28 count, I hope I can stitch over one for such a big project.
    Your comment about ordering more patterns and books that you can't possibly get to made me LOL, I can certainly relate to that!!! When is the baby due? You must be over the moon with anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You nailed the dogs' personalities. The blue linen was by Wichelt. I really like it as well! I think the white winter cottages should look great on it.
      I think we can all relate to too many things we want to stitch. With Instagram and blogs parading such goodies by our faces everyday, well, it is hard to resist.
      The baby is due October 19th. I am so excited. I am really beginning to think about it a lot. Hope to get a romper made this week.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for mentioning Floss Tube. I had never heard of it, but Googled it and found a delightful video. As time allows I'll finish watching it and look for more.

    Do you have any cross stitch blogs you follow? Would you mind emailing their links to me?

    LOVE your pups and the things you share about them!!!

    I have been cross stitching and hope to write my own blog post this afternoon about that. If I do, you'll see it. I cannot even begin to compare with your level of productivity but I do enjoy it.

    DO YOU EVER SLEEP?!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will send you my favorites. Warning: they can be quite addictive! but then they are far better than most of the stuff on TV these days. Way better than 24 hour news:)
      I am glad you are stitching. I find it to be relaxing. When I get to feeling like I am trying to do it too much well then...like everything else you step away and gain some self control:)

      Delete
  6. Sandy, I am tired just reading your post! You have a lot going on!! Such sweet pictures of your dogs. They can be very intuitive!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy