Tuesday, December 4, 2018

The Fall Garden and More

I like to use my blog to document things I enjoy doing. I am not sure when I started blogging that I ever thought others might actually read it, but since my blog is just that a journal of the good things in life here goes...

Fall shows itself differently than the images one sees with fall elsewhere. It shows up...just much later. This year the leaves are beginning to turn right on time. All over town the maples are quite lovely and my little stretch of whatever oaks and stuff across the bayou are turning their pretty shades of yellow orange. I have yet to be able to get a photo to document their loveliness because it has been a very rainy fall.



It has been rainy and warm so much so that my roses keep right on blooming even though they are quite tired. I actually bought a few red and white ones at the grocery store to have out with the Christmas decorations, but no store bought rose can ever excite me as much as the ones from the yard. 


This is the same rose as above ... I cut it and brought it inside.


There just seems to be new growth even though I have quit fertilizing and trying to get them to grow. I think the cold will be here soon, but who knows they might not get shut down for awhile.



By this time each year, I have generally pulled out whatever tired flowering plant that might have survived the long hot summer in the pots by the side of the garage and planted pansies and dianthus. I was late doing that this year because the pinkish caladiums I put in them over the summer were still making for a bit of color. We did have one or two nights of low 30's and they went down. Hubby came to my rescue this weekend and planted the pansies, dianthus, and dusty miller for me. These will go through the winter here in my neck of the woods.



The geraniums are still holding on in the front and thriving. They are more sheltered from the elements in the front yard and unless it gets into the 20's which it does a couple of nights over the course of the winter they stay outside. I cover them or bring them into the garage for those nights.



On the back, they are looking a bit more worse from wear really from the long hot summer rather than any cold. The painter has been working back there. Ugh! (trying to keep my chin up) I have moved the plants all inside on the back and I have a corner upstairs and downstairs that look like this. The geraniums and begonias will probably stay inside until late February.


My Christmas cactus is starting to bloom right on time. I got so excited when I saw the first bud. I had read up and tried to follow directions for a Christmas blooming.


Oh and the lemons look almost ripe.




I have been busy with life...church activities, baby activities, mother activities...they seem to have been more than I can keep up with, but I had a perfectly wonderful day at home yesterday. I accomplished much and it was quiet because it has been raining like the "40 days" kind of raining all weekend, so the painter didn't work. I had the house all to myself, well except for Lemony and Gus. I think they too even relished the quiet.

The next photo is of my guys working on a church project. Hubby and son. I think they are pretty handsome.





I stitched to reward myself last night on my Santa.




I have been decorating the house and will share it soon because I do like to document things in the house. It is always fun to look back.


Here is evidence of placing the wrapped packages on the pool table rather than underneath the tree. 


Off to run errands,
Sandy





6 comments:

  1. First, I love the wrapping paper you are using for your gifts! I think your plants and flowers still look good especially after the heat of the summer. You made good progress on your Santa stitch. Hope you get your errands taken care of; enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stitching is so pretty. I worked on my Santa yesterday but feel that I've made a big mistake already...stitching so much white on white cloth. Now I wonder if I should stop now and do something else. Not having any contrast doesn't look right and it's hurting my eyes to do it! EEEE! Love your cactus...not sure mine will bloom this month! Enjoy your day! Watch out for bears! heehee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love roses as well and I hated to leave my rose garden at my old house. Though I have a Black therm my roses bloomed beautifully. I got out today to finish my shopping and now to wrap and organize. The front bedroom looks like a bomb went off in there.lol Kiss Tucker for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm envious that you already have beautifully-wrapped presents ready to go, I'm not even close. Thank you for sharing pictures from your lovely garden. I hope I can learn to take care of plants over the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy, I love the Auburn Santa! He is looking great. Your flowers are doing so well. We are still blooming here too...who knows with Florida weather. Love your packages which all look fantastic...great choice of paper. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandy, Everything has played a bit crazy this year, and the roses have borne long flowers for me as well. It's nice to be able to enjoy it for so long, but if it's good for the body - I do not think so.
    Great picture of your guys. And a great Santa projekt.
    Have a nice week, Martina

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy