Monday, February 17, 2020

Let's Catch Up

Last week was just tiring. For all of my January getting things done and not feeling like most of the people I read out there saying how long it was; February may have turned out to be my January. It has been busy, gloomy weather, etc.

Let's catch up.

Last Wednesday, in the midst of business I stopped to bake a Valentine's brownie for my small group that night. Two purposes, well maybe three. One was Valentine's Day was coming and I love to bake, two was one of the members had just had her 60th birthday. About half of us are having that number arrive this year. The other half have already had it. Jeff is our wee baby being 9 months younger than me, he won't see 60 until next year. The third reason is I really really wanted to use my heart shaped pan.
I had planned to make a chocolate sauce and just use a pastry bag and drizzle it in strips across the brownie. Much to my dismay, about half way through my bag which was a disposable one just burst. Hasn't happened before. I don't know if I didn't let the sauce cool enough or got into big a hurry, so it turned into a layer of frosting.



I served it with some fresh strawberries and homemade whipped cream. I can't eat anything other than homemade now that I know how easy it is to make.

I somehow deleted my cute picture of it on the kitchen island with all the cups of strawberries out and a bowl of candy.

Oh well, it was good and all eaten. We are studying Daniel in our small group. Whew, this one has kept Jeff and I on our toes preparing for it.

I took some pictures of my back porch plants Thursday morning. Know how I remember? The white plate I served the heart shaped brownie on is still in the dish drainer from the night before.

I got up early and watered my back deck plants. My geraniums have survived the winter which means I don't have to buy new ones this year. The reason is I moved them inside around the kitchen table when the weather dropped below about 39 degrees F. That wasn't too many days as we have had a very mild winter. It helped that this year I have followed through with downsizing the number of plants I have. This is it on the back of the house other than plants in the ground. I don't have any downstairs on the lower deck. I kept some pots for jalapeƱos this summer, but those are easy peasy to grow.

See the white platter behind the taller geranium?

New growth coming out all around.

Even a bloom.


The inside location for plants is around the table. The ones you see around the table on stands are always there. Often this is a place I bring a dying one to nurse it back to health. 



One I rooted when I couldn't find one anywhere in stores. He is finally doing good. I do love growing things.


Jeff and I skipped off to Auburn for the weekend. We took in a baseball game on Saturday. The weather was cool but sunny so I enjoyed the game immensely. Sunday was rainy and yucky up there and at home in Fort Walton Beach, so mostly we stayed in and watched a movie on TV. We watched Ford and Ferrari which I thought was quite good.

I hung some stitching up at the Auburn house. The downstairs room got the Family Registry Sampler and I also took a piece I have never shared before. 


Second from right.



The larger piece is something I stitched back while Jeff and I were engaged for his mother. It has been in a closet since we moved in our current home in 2002. When I was doing my BIG purge in January, I had it sitting out trying to decide what to do with it since it was specific to her. I had almost decided to pull it out of the frame and just keep the frame. I sat on that idea for a couple of days and then it came to me to take it for my wall in the downstairs bedroom at Auburn. I think it worked out nicely. 

My plan is to add more stitches with TIME. Some sampler type or Bible verses. I actually have one bought for in there. I will need to change out the colors for it to match the room. More on that later. Stay tuned.

In the upstairs master there, I took my mockingbird. She looks lonely but absolutely perfect on that wall color. I will be adding at least two more birds stitched on that linen from that same designer soon. It will be one of my new starts very soon.


I love love love the wall color in that room. It is called "Atmospheric" by Behr. I walk in that room and just melt with love for it. I know that when Jeff retires and we spend more time there that I will be adding a chair and lamp for stitching in that room.

I am love with her. Maybe one of my favorites ever!


Now, for one more picture. I finished Tucker's name.
I plan to show some closeups later in the week. It turned out so cute. I will go into more details on it and Lindsay and I need to head to the frame shop together to pick out the frame for it.


I will be back with more at another time.
I have my own doctor's appointment in the morning. I knew I felt off the last few weeks. I had my bloodwork drawn last Monday. I finally looked at the results Friday on the way to Auburn. My thyroid numbers are all over the place. Explains a whole lot. Anyway, I am very glad to go to the doctor in the morning .

Where is the sun in February? Please return even if it is colder. I am in need of it!
Sandy

The bloom was further along today when we arrived home.



13 comments:

  1. I've been in a bit of a slump too. I'm guessing the strenuous downsizing of January has become an anticlimax. You may have explained something there I hadn't realized. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help:) I am hoping the sun comes out soon. I am a person I think that is affected by lack of it.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your blog and especially your stitching. You are a baby...sixty...wow...I remember that day-I had just finished my Master's...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I turn 60 in September, and that is great to hear. Plenty of good times ahead.

      Delete
  3. I just turned 68 so you are a youngster!! :) I enjoyed this post and seeing your wall of stitching. TUCKER is adorable and the mockingbird is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy: I turned 69 last month and still feel like I am in my forties.
    The Samplers on your wall are beautiful.
    Your Mockingbird is stunning.
    I long for the sun and warm weather.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been the dreariest, yet mildest winter I can remember. Since early January, it seems we've mostly had gray skies and rain. I am thankful for very little bad weather to deal with the roads, but I am so ready for spring. The Mockingbird cross stitch really does look great on that wall. I look forward to the other birds you do from this designer. And Tucker's cross stitch looks adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your wall with the Sampler looks great. I also like your bird in the frame.
    Tucker cross stitch is so beautiful. So many lovely little details.
    Have a nice week, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your brownie looks too good to eat in the dish with the ribbon. I'm all about display with food too! I think your Mocking bird is so gorgeous on the wall....I love that paint color too. Very pleasing to the eye, the undertone of blue is so relaxing. tuckers stitch looks even better all ironed!! Can't wait to see it framed. This year is flying by for me but the weather has been exceptionally dreary here. I can't wait for more than one day of sun in a row...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I just love everything about this post Sandy. Tucker's name is just precious and I look forward to seeing it framed. I love a blue bedroom. Ours is wedgewood blue by Benj Moore. It is so calming. I will be so glad when we get several days of sunshine in a row. I have been a slacker in the waling department and I need to get moving again. Silver Sneakers is looking better and better. Cant wait to see all your stitching on that wall. I am thinking of doing a stitching wall on my back bedroom wall. I think Riley's Harbor will be going there unless I change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love catching up with you too and hope you get your thyroid numbers back in control. I love the mockingbird and TUCKER is very sweet! We have fog this morning so I hope the sun breaks through soon. It really has been a mild winter though so I can't complain. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandy, I hope your doctor's appointment goes well and they can get your thyroid numbers leveled out. I am glad you found a place for the piece you stitched for your MIL at the Auburn house. Congratulations on getting Tucker's piece finished! It is simply precious. Your geraniums all look gorgeous. I am going to try my hand with them again this year. Your heart brownie looked delicious; I know it was enjoyed by your group!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, it's funny, Sandy, but I am feeling the same way about February. Of course, up here, I blame our lack of sunshine--even less than January so far (if that's even possible!). Ugh... I hope the second half of the month improves. The fact that you have blooming geraniums should help--we are a long way from that point!

    Your Tucker piece is just darling--I love the little boy fishing especially. The whole thing is just perfect for a Florida home, too. And your mockingbird is a true beauty as is that wall color. It's funny, my guest room is painted a VERY similar color (Behr's Zero Gravity) which I just love, too--every time I walk in there I feel such a sense of calm :) I'm actually thinking of painting our hallways in one shade lighter than the guest room--have to try out a swatch and see what I think.

    Hope you get some answers at the doctors... Hang in there ♥

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy