Thursday, March 12, 2020

A Weekly Check In

I had planned to try and do a weekly check in post today, but with all that is going on I am struggling to decide what to do.

New territory for sure.

I have decided to do a lighthearted update with lots of pictures, but I can assure you I am on alert as we all are over the happenings around the world. I do not make light of them.

I have a weakened immune system so I am pretty much on lockdown per instructions of my family. I need something happy to look at in between the sad.
Lots of prayers needed for this thing to calm down medically and for our country. I can only imagine if it goes on long what it could do for the economy which affects us all.

ALL that said, let's move on to some lighter notes and a story.

I finished Redbird. I can't wait for Bluebird to come out to add it to this one. The called for color was Lancaster Red by Weeks. I had some in my stash and thought I had plenty. I ran out towards the end. The substitute was DMC 221. I decided to keep on stitching. I may be a tad bit lighter but it worked enough to keep on trucking.



I hope to fully finish into a pillow for this one much like the pattern cover model.

I am now trying to stitch quickly on the Easter hoopla by With Thy Needle and Thread and then it is back to the blue jays exclusively until they are finished. I think you will be surprised when I share that again.



Around the house I have added more spring. I added my bunnies to the side table in the dining room. Mother gave these to me in the 90s when craft fairs were everywhere. The kids always loved them. I am going to share my story with you about my impulse purchase in brief here. As I share the story I will break it up with pictures from the week. How does that sound?



When I first started this blog I saw some McCarty bunnies on another blog. Her style was similar to mine (miss her blog terribly) and I thought I just had to have some. I ordered one off of Ebay. I could never find another one the same size to match and it really needed a pair because I like symmetry. I had envisioned one of each side of the sidebar.

A closer view of these little cuties... and that cup has some cute little eggs and a story too. I am full of stories.


Fast forward a year and I ordered another one of those McCarty bunnies and when it arrived I was simply not impressed.  This one didn't stand up but was huddled over and time had me not liking it at all.
A combination of factors. I had ordered both impulsively to begin with would be one. Another is I like things in the house decor that kind of have a story to them. *When you are my age there is not a lot of space anymore so things must have a story or some sentimentality to be worthy of the space they take up.

Along came another cute little McCarty bunny and this time it looked like a match that I had looked for with the first one. I quickly ordered it and it was quite pricey. It arrived and was half the size of the first bunny. Mind you when I looked back it was clearly stated. See the quick decision made. Now I had three odd bunnies who didn't really go together. No story except I was uneasy about the whole dog gone thing. For some odd reason it really was like a bur in my saddle.



Really ridiculous in light of real world problems. Anywho...I sat on it a few days and then began to think there were probably some little ladies in Mississippi who were wanting these to go with their McCarty pottery. I didn't love them. Mississippi is where the McCarty pottery started and it is a big deal over there.
I listed all three separately on Ebay. My goal was to get out of all three what I had paid for the final one. I had three boxes sitting in the recycling bin that all three would fit in, some packing peanuts and bubble wrap in a closet so I wouldn't need to buy that. Like I said I didn't want to gouge anyone as I felt I had been sucked into...just break even.

They all three sold almost instantly. I broke even and I feel so much better.
A win... a silly frivolous win in light of things but a win.

My sewing room. The Easter basket is mine from when I was a little girl and Lindsay used it. It was well made.

Also a lesson in thinking a bit more before I buy. I think we all make mistakes every now and then and we live and learn even in a more mature age.



Now, that I bored you with all that...I do hope you enjoyed some pictures along the way with the story.

I will share a few of Tucker and Lemony. It might seem like Gus is always in the spotlight but that is because he loves being on camera. Lemony ---not so much. I baby her and she got to go on a walk with us without Gus. She needs no leash. She would never dream of being disobedient.

Notice the leaves...I have shared before that the live oaks drop leaves in the spring. It will be an all mass of them soon.



Tucker has been sick. He is on the mend, but you can see how weak his eyes were the other day.


Now, for my finale. My pots along the wall are just showing off with spring like temperatures. 



I do hope all is well in your neck of the woods. I hope my post served as a bright and happy diversion. I am well aware of the seriousness of things and it is meant to be a momentary distraction.
Sandy

13 comments:

  1. Blogger must be having difficulty loading photos today. I cannot see most of your pictures. They may appear okay on your page, but not for others. I had the same problem, and didn't know it until someone told me. Just wanted to let you know. I had to remove all my pictures and reinstall them one by one. Would love to see your pictures when you get it fixed! I noticed someone else had this happen yesterday too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are back, and they are great! Glad you were able to correct it. I hope mine are loading okay now too. Love your photos, and all that you are doing. What a joy to have your sweet grandson to enjoy. I am sorry he has been sick. That is never any fun. Love your Easter bunnies and basket. I haven't gotten around to decorating for Easter yet...maybe I need to get started and you have inspired me. Have a blessed and healthy week. I guess blogging is a good way to enjoy friendships without worrying about passing germs back and forth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful progress on your stitching projects.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flowers, threads and little ones...ahhhhh! Thank you for the happy distractions! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I'm sitting down and having my morning coffee with you Sandy, I enjoy your chatty posts and they are a lovely diversion from these frightening times. I just love redbird and glad you will be stitching the bluebird too! Hoopla is looking great. I think it's so sweet that Lindsey used your childhood Easterbasket and hope sweet Tucker will use it too. I love seeing the oaks with the hanging moss, one of my favorite things to see in the South. Tucker and Lemony look like best buds in the photo!! Stay safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy, love the pictures of Lemony and Tucker! Sorry Tucker has been sick, but very happy to hear he is on the mend. Your Redbird stitch is lovely. Can't wait to see it in finished form! Your Hoopla bunny is looking good. Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures. Have a good Friday and weekend; keep healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. About the pictures loading: yesterday they didn't, today I came in and they did. And they were worth a second trip.

    I'm doing that oasis idea on my blogs, too. Not to ignore the current worries, who could, but to offer a bit of a change from worry. So thank you for doing the same.

    I enjoyed wandering through your stitching, baby pic, pet notes, plants. I'm so glad you've got them to share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet puppy and baby! 😊

    Stay safe... This too shall pass, so enjoy the restful time now. Our church has canceled most things and lots of places have closed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. With the barrage of hard news we are getting every. single. day. your diversionary blog post is most welcome.

    Impulsive decisions. I'm right there with you. (actually, I think I'm worse) I pray a lot lately that I'm learning from them, learning to be content with what I have and where I am.

    I hope Tucker is on the mend. And I'm glad you're keeping a low profile during this scourge.

    Thanks for the blog post. I needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've all bought things that weren't quite right or didn't fit it. I hate to try to resell but that's a good way to feel better about it! Love seeing sweet Tucker! Hope he feels all better now! Stay safe and healthy. We are all on a hike in a bit but hope to avoid the stores this weekend. It's crazy! Sweet hugs, Diane PS Love your Spring stitching...so pretty, your decor too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Redbird is so nice. I love the nice springtime touches that you've added. Pictures of precious pooches always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Redbird is lovely, Sandy, and the two thread colors are something I wouldn't even notice. Glad you continued with the 221 rather than waiting to find more overdyed Lancaster Red (because who knows if that would have matched anyway!).

    Love all the bunnies and I keep many of mine out year-round. They just make me smile :) Your story was cute--glad it all worked out for you by selling the three on Ebay. I had never heard of McCarty bunnies before (oh, dear--don't let me start another bunny collection!!).

    Aw... poor little Tucker--I can see it in his eyes. Sure hope he is 100% very soon. It's so worrisome having any sort of sickness in this day and age. Take care now, Sandy--enjoy your week ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a nice diversion, indeed. You really went to town finishing your Redbird sampler. I seem to take forever to finish anything. I love all your Easter decor. And the story of the McCarty bunnies. I'm unfamiliar with them, but I appreciated the story. I suppose we all appreciate knowing we're not alone in making some mistakes in our purchases. Tucker's a doll even when he's not feeling 100%. :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy