Wednesday, March 18, 2020

I Shall Wear Green Today

I am popping in this morning because I have a very rare moment to myself. I almost decided to forgo this post, but I want to record life so I am doing a short one.

I didn't do well yesterday. I let all of this wear me down with the chaos of having Jeff home. He was like a Jack-in-the-Box on steroids. I seriously was so exhausted by the time bedtime rolled around I just fell into bed. He had to go into work today to try and figure out a schooling plan so I don't wish to be in his shoes today.

I didn't wear green yesterday which is so unlike me. I have no clue how much Irish is in me. I haven't done any research other than just what I know. I know my family on both sides came to Alabama from South Carolina so I figure there is some Irish in there. I have shared this before but let's go back over it for old times sake.
I graduated from Auburn on St. Patrick's Day (some will remember the old quarter system). My dear grandma was quite proud of me as I was the first to graduate from college in our family. She showed up at my graduation in a green dress. When my aunt said something about her pretty green dress she reminded everyone it WAS St. Patrick's Day. (I really need to do a lady in a green dress for cross stitch..huh?!) I just came across many birthday cards she sent me while back in college while I was doing all that cleaning and ordering things in January. They are precious to me. She sent me a little extra money because I was in college she writes. Those cards are treasures for sure.

Today is a new day. I am going to slow down this morning and try to feed my soul.

Now for a little life journaling...



Here is my progress on the blue jay. I put her aside to do the two smalls so I am not as far along as I had hoped. She is a beauty though. I didn't put one x in yesterday. I need to do that today. I WILL find a moment to escape somewhere to do that.


This is what she will look like.


Now, for a few gardening notes. Spring is here and has been for awhile. The weather is glorious. I could stay on the deck all day long when it is like this. I will need some of that deck sitting today. I didn't get enough of that yesterday either.

You can see everything is happy and putting out new growth including my fern which I had in the house over winter.


I have kept geraniums along that top shelf so that they show up in my kitchen window since we moved here in April 2003. They do well until the extreme heat of late summer. Sometimes I have to move them inside around the kitchen table and then move them back out in fall. Some years I have failed to do that and just started over. This year I saved them but they got really leggy in the house over winter.


The far left one was a mess so I clipped one of the stems off and tried to save it. I have stuck in the pot below and believe or not I think it is going to make it. I so wish I could share Aloe with y'all. IT is taking over. I have another one that is huge and driving me crazy. I have decided to see if I can kill the one you see in the picture. Not really, but it does need some attention.
Back to the geraniums. I think the two on the left don't get enough sun anymore due to the very large pine tree which I have overshared about on this blog. I may have to try a new flowering plant on the left. I am tying to pay attention to the amount of sun that hits and so forth over the next couple of weeks.



We have been trying to grow tomatoes for several summers with no success. Jeff's dad grew them on the back deck back in the 80s and 90s with huge success. I think it is a combination of the tree and the plants we have been using. We are trying a new plan with new seeds and moving the pots to a new location. I will keep you posted, but we both have been babying these seedlings.

I will leave you with a cute picture of Tucker and a cute story to go with it. This was taken several days before the beach became a bad thing! They had it all to themselves which is rare for this time of year. To be honest, there are not a lot of spring breakers here in FWB. 


You see that is he holding his hand back out to his mom. He wanted it wiped off. The day before he had been at my house and we were outside. He had on some weird shoes that caused him to stumble quite a bit. Each time he fell, I would pick him up and he would hold out his hand to to get the dirt or sand wiped off. I should have taught him right then to wipe his own hands together to dust it off, but I just did it for him. 
They go to the beach and the idea was to relax and let him play in the sand a bit, but each time his hand got dirty he would hold it out to his mommy for her to wipe it off. HAHA. She quickly thought this will not be a relaxing time at all. She spent the time trying to teach him to pat his hands together to clean them off. 
Grammie learned a lesson. 

*Teach him to be a bit more independent. I should know that but I am a Grammie!

I said this would be short...hmmm.
I will wear green today to try and honor one of the greatest ladies ever...Grandma.

I am going to try and be a little calmer today which means a little more unplugging!
I do read my blogs, but the rest of the world is going to get shut out a bit today.
Stay well friends,
Sandy


9 comments:

  1. Oh that blue jay is amazing Sandy...so fun to stitch I am sure. Loved seeing your plants. I actually bought another little house plant and I am going to try try again. There is just something about real green plants. And seeing Tucker at the beach made me want to hop in my car and head south!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing people's houseplants is like seeing their bookshelves, really interesting. This was a good garden tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing little Tucker with his sandy hands outstretched brought back memories of one of my sons (can't remember which one!) who did the same time each year when we took our beach vacation in NC. He just hated having sandy hands :) And, I'm with you--I treasure those old cards and notes from my grandmas. What will future adults do as everything is done by email--it is so rare to receive a handwritten note.

    Love that blue jay so very much--hope your gardening, stitching, and puttering keep your mind off the outside world ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tucker is a cutie and that is a memory to file away about the cleaning off his hand/hands. Your Blue Jay stitch is looking good, Sandy! Wow on the geraniums! Their greenery is so lush looking. Stay healthy, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right. We all need to just take a deep breath and unplug a bit. God is in control and we aren't! Let Him handle it. I love your bluebird!! Stay well!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post led me on a little learning trail of my own. I know from a sister's DNA test that we have some Scot and Irish blood in our family, but it wasn't until I inferred from what you wrote above that the Carolina's were a popular spot for the Irish to settle. What I did know is that my father's Anmerican ancestors have been traced back to Surry County, North Carolina. So I just looked up a bit a history about that area. Seems Surry County has a rich history of Scots and Scot-Irish settling there in the 1700's. Which explains that part of our DNA. Huh. I've never been curious enough to look into that any further than the little bit of history a distant cousin did once upon a time.

    Your blue jay is looking gorgeous. As are all of your plants outside. It makes me long for spring and outdoor growing things. And the picture and story of Tucker is sweet as can be. lol What a great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandy, You really do need a stitch with a lady in a green dress!! I have all my mail from my Grandmothers, I moved out of state when I was 21. I need to pull them out and reread them. Now why should Tucker wipe his own hands when he has you to do it!!! Smart boy!! Your bluebird is gorgeous!! Stay well. Mary &RJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would love to see the lady in the green dress when you do it! It's wonderful to remember our dear grandparents and the sacrifices they made for our families over the years. Your grandmother sounds really special. Your blue jay will be beautiful when completed! Amazing work! Your little Tucker is so cute, and yes, they do love that extra grandma attention...you are blessed to have him near you. Enjoy every minute that you can. They grow up way too quickly! Praying this virus will soon pass and we will be able to get back to life as usual. But in the meantime, perhaps God wants us all to learn from this experience. Please take care and enjoy your beautiful home and those geraniums. I was just thinking I wanted some geraniums for my front deck. I must look for some now that I've seen how pretty yours are! Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shutting out the world -- it's tricky because we need to be informed but there's just so much out there clamoring for our attention! I have started turning off my computer and my phone earlier in the evenings , which means there's more to deal with the next morning. But like you, we need a break and that's one way I deal with it.

    Determined to kill that aloe plant, eh? You made me laugh. Love your Geraniums. I've got one hardy one I brought from Jacksonville. Such a trooper as long as she's in the sun on the back patio. Glad to oblige her!

    You graduated on St. Pat's Day. Yes, I remember the quarter system in college. Those days are gone, along with so many other things we have depended upon for so long.

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy