Thursday, April 2, 2020

Managing Concerns

Like many of you, my mind is all over the place. I thought I would share just a few of them with you. I am not calling it worry, but concern about the future. However, if I am being downright honest - it is plain and simply -worry.

Yes, I have a strong faith and I know that my Heavenly Father will walk through this with us all, but I don't believe in the prosperity gospel. There are hard times and I have been through some...namely losing my dad at a young age. This isn't a Bible lesson, but some thoughts that have been rolling around in the old noggin this week.

As I have prepared each and every meal this week, I have been mindful to not waste anything. I have laughed at Mother many times when she would try to get someone to eat the last bit of something to keep from throwing it away. To be honest, Jeff, me, and the kids have all made fun of her for it...lovingly, of course. Jeff's mother never threw away a Ziplock bag. She once used the bottom drawer that I store endless table linens in to keep the old ones that she had washed and dried and then kept them until they were simply worn out.

I have cleared out the home we currently live in after Jeff's parents died and it was quite full as they just didn't throw things away.
I have helped my own mother clean out their home in Brewton when my step dad passed to downsize and move to be near me. I will say it again ---I am beyond grateful that she is near me!!!!!
We worked countless hours going through his garage with me wanting to put lots in the garbage and her wanting to know if it could be sold in a garage sale or at least given to someone to be used.

When she wasn't looking I might have thrown things away. My step dad threw NOTHING away. Mr. Fix It he was and quite innovative as evidenced by this post.

You see our parents knew what hard times were. My dad and Jeff's dad were the typical southern farmer boys who joined the Army for a better life. And while they both fought in wars, mine Korean and Jeff's World War II, they did achieve better lives.

I can't help but know that we will feel some repercussions of this staying at home. I know it is necessary, but I have a hard time not thinking about the future. I want dwell on here with y'all, but my daughter and son-in-law already know they will feel it. Tyler works for a small construction firm so I know he will feel the effects first of my children.

Something else that has rolled around in the noggin along with the don't waste is how I have been on a mission to declutter. It has taken up a good bit of time the last 5 years. Now, I haven't throw away anything that really didn't need to go, but thinking about our parents I have to cut them a ton of slack for keeping things. They knew what it was like to not have things.

The old adage, "waste not, want not" was something they lived by.

I think the only thing I have gotten rid of that would one day maybe useful again is a box of fabric. I was a complete fabric hoarder and it clogged up my sewing room to the point it made me completely stressed. I finally boxed it all up and donated it.

Believe it or not, I rounded a corner today in my thoughts. The protective mama came out today. I will do as Nehemiah did...the next step. I don't know what the future holds, but I know WHO holds the future and I am plan to put one foot in front of the other and do the next thing.

On the note of fabric, I still have plenty left in my stash to use so I am sure I will be ok in that department for awhile. In fact, my next step today was to start making the family masks. I saw Barbara at Sweet Tea and Sandals and her cute ones that are also useful. I used the link she found to make some. Here is the link ....

https://buttoncounter.com/2018/01/14/facemask-a-picture-tutorial/


This one is for Lindsay, my leopard loving girl.

As you can see, it stretches out to give good coverage.
Doing the next thing felt better than stewing in the thoughts of all this. I honestly have paid attention all these years to my mother's resourcefulness and it was never lost on me. I have a bad feeling it will prove useful that I was attentive.

I didn't plan for this to be a downer post, but I just simply can't write about anything else today. Maybe another day.

Stay safe and well Blogland. I will be found doing the next thing.
Sandy


22 comments:

  1. Sandy, I have a hard time thinking about anything else with the virus. Many in my family have been furloughed or lost their jobs. We are on our 3rd week of sheltering in place and I miss seeing family and friends. I flit from this to that, not concentrating on anything. I am going to try and order elastic today and start making masks. I certainly have enough fabric and it will be good to do something positive.
    I had to laugh about Jeff's mother not throwing out the ziplock bag. Years ago I gave homemade cookies to a co-worker in a ziplock bag. He returned the bag to me washed and acted like it was a perfectly normal thing to do. I was dumbfounded!! Jeff's mother is the 2nd person I heard of saving them. I wonder how many more people save them. Stay well and keep on doing your best to get through this, that's all we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! I've had those same thoughts... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always washed dried and reused plastic, parchment paper and tinfoil until it collapses! People used to make fun, but now we're more aware of the damage plastic can do. I always have a bundle of bags clothes-pinned to my kitchen rack, drying. Using anything once seems wrong to me. I don't even like single use kitchen tools!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy, I don't think you were a downer here, but just keeping it real. What you wrote, many of us are feeling/thinking. I wonder about the small local businesses in town knowing that amny businesses are closed because they aren't considered essential or barely making it because they are deemed essential. And while I do have my faith to turn to, I still worry about those people. I did chuckle about the plastic bag drawer; my grandmother did that while we were growing up. Be well and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy, I really enjoyed reading your post today and I thank you so much for sharing. I have never washed and reused a zip lock bag, but I have a drawer full of plastic bags I received when I have ordered cross stitch patterns in the mail. It amazes me how the patterns already have plastic covers, but the shops put them in another plastic bag. Sometimes this goes with multiple orders, such several patterns, or threads and buttons (that is understandable). I reused these for project bags (I don't have any of the fancy ones), and I also reuse them to store Christmas ornaments that I have completed, and other seasonal ornaments. But, I still have a drawer full:) Again, thank you so much for such a great read today, and I will leave you with this little Bible Verse...Cast all of your care on Him, because He Cares for you...I Peter 5:7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the extra packaging. I have tons of those plastic bags as well. That is one of my favorite verses.

      Delete
  6. Yes, we reuse our plastic bags, and we have a little pinning line also! Small orld. However, I only reuse them in certain ways. I don't put food in them. Relying on our faith these days can mean the difference between panic and coping. I find the Psalms comforting. đŸ’–

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how many things that have happened in the past year, books I read or passages I came across have soothed my soul right now. It is only those things that can comfort really.

      Delete
  7. I will buy a mask from you!! I love the leopard. I may have to sit down and hand sew several for us. As an old nurse I must tell you that you need three at a minimum. You want to wash them after each time you use them. I see a lot of people just making one and I want to tell them, Hey, make two or three per person. I also saw a way to make a mask from a handerkerchief and two pony tail holders. Someone had put a Depends on their head for a mask. Hey it would work just strange looking.lol We have to laugh every now and then to keep from crying. Even stitching is losing its charm for me right now as I stitch so much. I never thought I would say that. Got out my Kinsey Milhone books to re read. I am halfway through A is for Alibi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the subject of the homemade masks, people have gone back and forth about the effectiveness of using them and now we are being told to use SOMETHING, even if it's just a bandana.

    We have two, one for each of us. Today I decided I will make more (until the elastic runs out, and I don't have much) so we can wash them regularly. We don't wear them except when we get in the car to buy groceries, get gas, or cash from the bank.

    As for the future, it's a quandary as to what it will look like. Many of us are sorta "deer-in-the-headlights" about the dramatic changes that have been forced upon us in a remarkably short span of time. This is when the sincerity of our trust in God is really put to the test and if we are smart, we grow stronger in our reliance upon Him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandy, thanks for keeping it real! I have those same concerns and worries. My grandmother and mother kept everything--Nana had a iron free-standing crucifix that she hung rubber bands on (as well as on every door knob in the house). Lately, I've started letting paper towels dry if only used to wipe up a bit of water so that they can be reused to wipe up something else. And I've always washed and reused baggies. Just this morning I read on IG that we should keep baggies in our cars to use instead of gloves when getting gas. It saves on glove usage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joe and I are hanging in there. Joe has never been a worrier but I used to be until Joe convinced me that 1) God is in control, and 2) worrying about something never changes anything other than your own psyche, for the worst. I am not saying I am not concerned. I follow the rules because I am concerned and believe all the rules are for our own good. We have had a box of masks for a long time. I bought them ages ago, so we have masks to use. I don't have a sewing machine anymore to make pretty ones like you and Barbara have. We all need to pay attention, use common sense, and do what we believe will work for us and our loved ones. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post was not a downer...just realistic. We all go through these kinds of thoughts these days. I often wash my large ziploc bags and reuse them if they didn't have meat or something really greasy or messy in them. I use the plastic grocery bags for so many things... We have not started wearing masks here yet. We live in an area that is not very congested and when we do go to the store there are not very many people there. I haven't seen anyone, except maybe a very few wearing masks here. But again, we live in the country. If we lived in a more populated area we probably would. Praying for all to be safe and healthy and use good common sense. God is with us. We do not need to fear...just be diligent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wanted you to know that I also have used this mask pattern. It is wonderful and so easy to put together. Her instructions are great!. I have made and donated about 100 masks. Hopfuoly those of us who are making them will see great results using them. I pray for healing for those with this virus the the great leaders and great medical personal that we Have. Stay Safe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know exactly what you mean and how you feel. We will all be changed by this terrible time and I'm sure learn some valuable lessons. I am trying not to worry but sometimes that's what my prayers sound like. My hubby and I can stay home and stay safe but we have 6 'kids' and 6 grandkids and I can't keep them ALL safe. It's on my mind all the time. Well....I better go clean something! Take care and stay well! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found your post reassuring, as well as comforting, that I'm not alone in my thoughts. Thank you for putting it into words. Take care and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. Your comment makes me feel better. I sort of felt like most commenters didn't really get me. I have a strong faith in God and I know the Lord will be with us, but that doesn't mean we won't have some hard times if this thing keeps going. One of my husband's coworker's husband has had it and he is on the upside. I haven't heard from her test, but being near an Air Force base we have lots of traveling people so even going to the grocery store here is a bit frightful.

      Delete
  15. I appreciated your post, Sany. And I confess... now that masks have become recommended, I regret getting rid of so much fabric in the past. Though I'm sure I can come up with some - my remaining fabric just may not be as cute. Your leopard print mask is pretty stylish! Okay... gotta get busy 'cuz I need at least a couple tomorrow as we're doing an errand. Will write about it in my next blog post. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Estou a seguir o blogue, que descobri hoje. TambĂ©m sou professora, mas ainda nĂ£o estou aposentada. Sonho com o dia da aposentaĂ§Ă£o para fazer o que gosto.
    Beijinhos e saĂºde:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I am coming to your blog to visit.

      Delete
  17. Nice you've got the things at home you need in order to make the masks. I've got some on order from Amazon and am just hopeful they will arrive. I did some de-cluttering a year ago, sadly think I pitched/donated all my bandana's. Which I could have used to make masks, even the non sewing ones. Hadn't worn them in years so got rid of them. Used to wear them as a headband when I skied...haven't skied in years. That's fun young person's sport who isn't concerned about falling and breaking something. My folks were like yours; but as they got older less so. Take care, stay well. Somehow we will get through this. I think it's not possible not to think about it almost constantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all might be rethinking all that decluttering later.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy