Saturday, January 7, 2023

Stitching Post with a Little More

 The New Year has brought a few stitching finishes to share with you. The few days around New Year's Day brought some really good stitching time.

My first share is the framed stitch for the third grandson, Miles. I love how it turned out. It has been delivered and I think Mommy and Daddy were very proud of it. These are honestly not the easiest stitches because I am trying to use a lot of different patterns to personalize them, but I am proud of all three of these that I have done.


My next stitch was something my daughter, Lindsay asked me to do. I mentioned before that little Tucker is quite the prayer person. I give a lot of credit to his parents who say prayers with him every night and to our church. The curriculum we use is just amazing. I know because I worked in the preschool environment of our church for years. Of course, some children are just more confident in their verbal skills and that is certainly Tucker. 

Lindsay said that he basically says  the same thing every night and she wanted me to stitch it. She was in no hurry and it didn't have to be fancy. I actually started this in September or October when we went to Auburn one weekend. I started the little silhouette boy then. That came from an old bookmark pattern. I finished the words using another pattern over the New Year. I self framed it. It has things that could have been done better, but it turned out cute.


Now, my final share is an ornament for my first stitchalong. I plan to try and do 12 ornaments this year. Carol at Stitching Dreams has been doing this for a long time and has the most amazing tree, but my motivation came from Lindsay at Christmas. My plan is to have a basket of stitches that can be used for gifts for her or Jeff to use at work or wherever. I love stitching and I think this will be fun and useful. 


Not only fun and useful, but this is going to be a great way to use all those little end pieces of linen. I also have so many cute patterns. I plan to do a variety of things for the ornaments. 

I hope my finishing skills will continue to improve. I think I am always a wee bit impatient when finishing. 

My first picture shows the backing material. I struggled with this ornament because of the many colors and it not being traditional Christmas colors. 


Here it hanging. I look forward to stitching these and using this a learning project too.




While preparing my ornament I just have to say it is the little things in life that bring joy. I have the cutest little corner on my work counter. My January stitch which is honestly my least favorite of them, but when Robin sent me this card I just knew it had to sit there between the stitch and little cardinal print. How cute is that little corner and such joy to look at while I work. Most of you know Robin as Robin in Virginia in your comments. Robin is truly the Miss Congeniality of Blogs. She is the truest and most sincere person out there in BlogLand.



The colors and little card were just perfect in my little corner.

I am now onto my The Lord Is My Shepherd sampler for the remainder of January.

Now for some gardening updates. When I finally was able to get out and really look around, the freeze unlike any we have had in my lifetime took a toll. Many things will take some time to see if they actually survived. I have read a lot about things to know what to do since I really had no experience for this kind of freeze. For instance, all my spider lilies look like a pile of mush. I actually found a website about freezes on plants with pictures. It says do not prune or cut back yet. They will return to life in the spring. I also read I shouldn't prune the burnt ends off of the bottlebrush shrubs just yet either. One side of the yard must have gotten a lot more wind than the other because one side looks worse than the other. 

I hope I never see cold like that again.

Here is a picture of the lemon tree. 



Many of those burnt leaves have fallen off now, but I do see some green in there on some of the branches, so hopefully it is not lost. It may not produce over a 100 lemons next year, but if it survives I will be grateful.

Also, January should be very colorful on my street with camellias. They were budding like crazy, but now we have to see if all those buds open up or just fall off. Time will tell.

A few other random items:

Miles joined me on Thursday and Friday for his first time. It went really well. I was expecting lots of tears, but he did so good which I think helped Katie's feelings a lot. Palmer starts daycare on Monday. I truly wish I could keep them all, but I know I can't. Tucker really learned a lot and I could see the benefit of being with the other children. I am sure the same will happen with Palmer, but Mimi's heart is a little sad.

I thought this picture of Tucker was so cute. He was vacuuming out his new car just like Mommy.


One thing we can count on is nothing stays the same. The mall here is closing down and will be torn down as soon as the few stores in there have cleared out. I have so many memories at the mall, but if I am being honest it has been done for sometime. Dillards was the last thing there that I visited. Pooh! I feel a bit like I am living back in Brewton as a teen when we had to go to Pensacola to shop. 

Now, it is Destin or Pensacola. Both are difficult at this point in time because of bridges being built and the traffic issues with said bridges. They are about to start on the main bridge to Destin from Fort Walton Beach in a couple of months. I don't care what they say that is going to be a disaster for commuting.  I mean a mind numbing disaster for tourists as well as those who live here.


That is it in my world right now.
I want to try and find some time to do some Thursday's Treasures posts again, but time is always the issue.  My time is filled with good and important things through and that is a blessing. That is the goal. Time filled with good and purposeful things.

Until next time,
Sandy


 


13 comments:

  1. You're sounding very happy right now, Sandy. This was good to read. I agree on waiting to see what survived in the garden. Plants want to grow and sometimes need recovery time. You'll keep us updated as you find out, I expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I think some green growth will poke its head out in the coming months.

      Delete
  2. Your work is amazing. I just love Palmer’s little prayer. ♥️ I sure hope your lemon tree makes it! I bought one this past summer, but it didn’t survive the Mississippi heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our one indoor mall is almost done, too. Dillards and Pennys are the big "anchors" and there is little else there. I love your stitching pieces and Palmer's prayer is so precious!! Thanks for sharing!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It warms my heart to hear the prayers of little ones. Your crossstitch of his prayer will be a treasured memory. That photo of Miles vacuuming his car is adorable!

    Things change and it can be hard. Hopefully they will build something that will bring joy to your community. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m sorry - the comment section is not working for me. I’m Debby from https://www.from-my-house.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you already know, I love the frame molding you used for Miles' piece, Sandy. The ornament is lovely and I was thinking about your comment about not being traditional Christmas colors. If my memory is correct, the candle colors are what is typically used during the Advent. I love Tucker's prayer piece you did. I am looking forward to seeing your progress on The Lord is my Shepherd piece. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sandy: I think the Prayer design is adorable and framed perfectly, how adorable is it that he says that Prayer, he has amazing parents.
    I have to say the little boy fishing is so sweet on Miles design.
    I think that the three-candle design is lovely, the cording is perfect, nice finish, I am not good at finishing.
    So sorry about the cold weather you had I hope that all your plants and trees survive.
    Such an adorable photo of Tucker vacuuming his little vehicle.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice idea to have stitches ready for little gifts of love come December. Love Miles' name and it will always be a special stitch for him. I got started on All Creatures Bright and Beautiful and that is all I want to stitch on right now. I am doing it on 18 count Aida. You are so right about Robin...the sweetest of the sweet for sure. She is such an encourager.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That little prayer of Tucker's is just so sweet--how wonderful that it is ever preserved in your lovely stitching. And Miles' birth sampler is perfectly charming--your chosen motifs are adorable and it is certainly a one-of-a-kind gift. I'm glad you are participating in the ornament stitchalong--your first one is so cute and that's a sweet idea to make a basket of them that can be given away for gifts.

    Hope things will be nice and warm for you for the remaining winter. We're having a mild winter here with very little snow--can't say I mind :) Take care now ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on being a Grandma again, I have been out of the loop for quite a while. The Miles stitch is just so sweet!!! What a lovely thing to do for Katie stitching all the ornaments. I would be hard pressed to give them away! How thoughtful to stitch Tucker's night prayer. I'm sure it will become a treasured family memento.
    Have you ever watched Garden Answer on Youtube? Oh my, I have been inspired by Laura and put in a new garden this past Spring and can't wait to get at it again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am pretty sure I've been to your mall that is going to be torn down, but my last visit there was in about 2000, so I'm sure much has changed since then. You are so right that nothing is so constant as change.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy