It is almost the end of September and again I am wondering how it has passed so quickly. It hasn't been the kindest month to me (lots of appointments and sickness), but yet I can't complain too much about it. It has been very mild in terms of heat. Heat is still lingering, but not oppressive heat like usual. I have slowly added some fall decor which comes in waves for the entire season. I like to add it slowly based on the occasions of the months. For instance,
my kitchen table usually has placemats, cloth napkins, and candles adorning it, but they change with the months of fall beginning with burnt orange and navy to start football season (it looks like it will be another long non fun one for us). Then it moves to a more orangey look for October and more browns and greens for November. I have no pictures to share of that, so you will have to use your imagination.
I did add the pumpkins on my dining room table. I still love the pumpkins I picked up at Joann's about 12 years ago.
The sideboard will get its Pilgrims and Indians with the cornucopia in November. That is one of my favorite decorations. Now, my mom would pull out her turkeys in October because I don't think I ever saw any Halloween decorations at our home growing up. For now, our doggies decorate the top.
I have been in a ribbon mood this year. I have no explanation for it because that can happen some years and others I find them detestable.
It is a brown gingham that has been sprinkled all around the house this year.
I had grandiose plans for September and quite frankly not much of it happened. That just comes with the territory sometimes. I have stitched and read good books so that is a win.
We kept Tucker and Palmer for Lindsay and Tyler to go out to eat Friday evening for her birthday. Normally, Lindsay and I share a party for our birthday but as I said, my plans have all been turned upside down for this month. Jeff and I along with Valerie did pick her up from work to go to lunch this week. I do plan to celebrate with a dessert and all the family over in October when we have our normal weekend all together in Auburn. We have been doing this in September for the past few years, but we switched it up this year. I will probably just keep that surprise a secret.
On Friday evening, I took some owls that I got at the Dollar Tree to put together. I wasn't sure they would have any interest in doing them, but they surprised me and loved it. We played outside until dark. They were getting along and coming up with things to do without any arguing. Mimi enjoyed herself immensely. We then came in and played some games before the parents got home. I wasn't even tired at all...reƄson?... they got along. I told them so too.
I finished my Christmas gift stitch. Isn't it cute? I will love bringing this out in December.
I buy entirely too many books but I have tried to allot that in to my budget. I figure if it is one that Mom, the girls and I will all read, it is worth it. I have 3 to be delivered in October by 3 of my favorite authors; Sean Dietrich, Karen Kingsbury and Jan Karon. I should have plenty to read for the remainder of the year. I keep my list of books read on
Goodreads. I really thought I had read more fiction this year than nonfiction but they were close in number. Fiction will win out with my 3 latest books coming. I have made an intentional effort to add more back into my life
and it has been a good and positive thing.
I did read the latest Fannie Flagg book which is a collection of short stories called Something to Look Forward To. I enjoyed it and definitely think it is geared to the older more mature :) reader. I would probably say wait until you can get it at the library though. My favorite book of all time of hers is Standing in the Rainbow. I can only say that it is quirky and reminds me of my childhood which had a lot of hard times with so many deaths in my family, but the book hugged me in that the descriptions of things such as Christmas decorations made me think of the good in that decade of my life. I choose to think of standing in the rainbow rather than all the sadness...if that makes sense.
The picture below is testament that I gave the door and the surrounding casing a new coat of paint. I chose to share the full setting of said door to show you the dilemma with that door.

The tower would seem as though rain wouldn't be an issue since the overhang on the tower is pretty far out, BUT the tower doesn't have an issue with rain. Rain in northwest Florida is hardly ever a sweet little shower. When it rains, the bottom falls out and we get torrential downpours. Literally almost every time. What happens is the rain comes pouring around that tower and is supposed to go into those gutters. The rain is usually too much for those gutters and it just comes down so hard that it wets the windows to the left of the door and the door. This will be the second time in 12 years we have had to replace the casing around the door due to water damage. This time a composite material was used and I have often suggested a storm door might help. Jeff will not hear of the storm door idea. For 41 years we have mostly agreed on every issue, but this one not so much. The window casings had to repaired and the door now. It has been caulked multiple times and no one really has a great idea to help the situation.
Soooo.... I repainted the casing and gave the door a fresh coat of paint. Looks pretty nice at the moment, but for how long?
Valerie is officially a crawler and that has actually made her a little happier. She can now move around and entertain herself more. She gets places quickly which has me on guard.
We went out to the beach Saturday morning and the Gulf is still very warm, so we can't let our guard down for hurricanes just yet.
September is about to move on out and October is coming in. I see no sign of fall temps in the extended forecast. Time will tell --- I just don't want anything stirring in that southern Gulf so I guess I need fall to come on and get here.
Until next time,
Sandy
Comments for others:
ReplyDeleteYes, September has been a challenge for you with the pneumonia diagnosis. I’m glad you’re getting better. It can really knock the wind out of a person (literally! I’ve had it several times over the years).
Your table decor is beautiful. I like how you change the colors with the new months. That’s a nice way to work with the seasons. You have a very attractive sense of taste with home decor.
“When it rains the bottom falls out.” I like the way your phrased that. Your front door looks great.
Ah, so little Valerie has been impatient to explore on her own! She’s so cute, as are all of your grandchildren.
Repeating myself: I'm so glad you are feeling better!
I did less decorating in my home this year too Sandy...a sign of getting older??? No halloween, just fall. I saw James Farmer on Homeworthy and he got me in the mood to shop my house and move some things around. He has a new book coming out soon. It will be on my list to purchase. Love the finished piece and it can go anywhere and can stay out until January. I did get on Christmas ornament done....now to fully finish it. I will be stitching a Sugar Plum Fairy for Audrey this year. Continue to rest as much as you can. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteHappy to hear you are feeling better, Sandy! The picture of Miss Valerie made me smile. The owls Tucker and Palmer created are adorable. Your tablescape is so pretty. I love your finished Christmas piece. Have a wonderful week!
ReplyDeleteAlways so good to catch up with your news, Sandy! The owls are fun, tablescape is lovely, and Valerie exploring made me smile. I have a little one in my life who is just about at that same stage. It is fun to watch them but yes, one has to stay on guard for sure. Your Christmas project is absolutely beautiful. I love it!
ReplyDeleteI always enjoy visiting here, Sandy! How great that the kiddos are able to play together and not cause Grandma troubles!! Yay! Okay... you really need a storm door. Keep working on hubby. Seems like a no-brainer to me. It would solve nearly all your problems with rot and shrinking caulk. Keep us posted! Have a blessed week!!
ReplyDeleteI think you got a lot done this month, Sandy--especially considering the pneumonia! Love your Christmas finish and those little DT owls. I'll have to check our Dollar Tree for them--my grandsons are coming in two weeks and that looks like something the older one would love. Oh, you'll have fun keeping track of your crawling Miss Valerie--all those cupboard to explore :) I agree with you--you need a storm door! Can't imagine not having one with your torrential downpours in FL. Hope October is a healthy month for all of you! Take care now! ♥
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness Sandy: You have had a month of appointments, hope all is slowing down now. Your decorations are lovely, the Owls are a hoot, giggle, so cute. The Christmas Gift Stitch is beautiful, love the finish, we are big readers, I have two books going now, one is All the Light We Cannot See and Death in a taxi, short read by one of my Blog followers Victor Moubarek. So sorry about your door, I had to beg Mike to put in a screen door, he said not at first, he gave in and now, loves that there is a screen door now with glass or screen we switch to the weather of the day, it lets us see the outdoors when the wood door is open, he likes it now.
ReplyDeleteCatherine
So good that you're feeling better and I enjoyed your decorations. September has simply disappeared, I hope October lingers a little longer.
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
I love to decorate with ribbon. It adds just that something extra that is so cute:) Hooray for books coming in...especially Jan Karon. Can you believe there is more to the Mitford series? I just heard that last week - and, yes, I was super excited. I'm currently re-reading the series (the perfect cozy books, in my opinon) and now there is "the rest of the story!"
ReplyDelete