250 years! I still remember 1976 and the excitement for the 200th birthday, so I am in full celebration mode.
I finished up my America 250 stitches and treasure boxes.
I finally got started and agreed that he was correct. I painted them and then also sprayed them with an acrylic varnish spray. I did the finishing spray twice and let them dry really good.
I laced the stitches over craft chipboard and layered a piece of batting in between the stitch and the chipboard. I then glued them with Alene’s craft glue to the lid and laid a heavy box over them to dry.
I used Lady Dots Creates chenille trim in navy although it looks like federal blue. I chose that trim rather than cording out of fear I could not make them as neat as I would like.
I am really pleased with the treasure boxes as we are calling them. I am giving them to each of the 4 grandchildren. Jeff is adding some 1976 coins to them to start them off on collecting treasures.
Hopefully, they will survive until they are old enough to remember Mimi made these!
I am in Auburn and typing this all of my iPad so I am cutting it short. I will be back to check in with everyone next week.
Happy 4th mt American friends,
Sandy



Looks great!!
ReplyDeleteSandy, your patriotic treasure boxes turned out beautifully. I, too, remember the celebration of 1976. The joy and unity shown during that year was a wonder. Continued prayers for this country of ours! Have a very blessed Fourth.
ReplyDeleteThese are such treasures for your grandchildren, Sandy! I really think the box finish is perfect for them and the things you plan to tuck inside will always remind them of you. Have a wonderful Fourth of July--Happy 250th! ♥
ReplyDeleteWell done, Sandy!! They are PERFECT and PERFECTLY done. The boys will treasure them forever, you can count on it. Thanks for sharing them with us!
ReplyDeleteThose little patriotic boxes are adorable! What a sweet idea filling them with the things you and your husband collect. Isn’t it sad how kids don’t play outside?! We used to run from Dawn to dusk….my kids always played outside and had jobs all through HS, but they were a minority none of their friends held jobs during school year or on breaks. I believe it teaches the ethic of hard work.
ReplyDeleteI’m glad you are having help this summer a bit. It almost makes one giddy, doesn’t it?! I understand!