Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Magazine Love Part 1

The first issue of my very own magazine delivered to my house was the April 1975 issue of Seventeen with Susan Ford on the cover. I read every page and devoured every morsel of its goodness. (I was a Freshman in high school)

Ebay
 Seventeen was my go to magazine of the high school years.

1976 issues...

Another of my favorite issues was the "back to school" August 1976 Seventeen....


Here are two pages from the above "back to school" issue. Any clothing styles ringing a bell with you?



I also remember reading COED in the home economics room. I loved home economics, hence my degree in it. Mrs. Cotton always kept those issues out for us to read when she got busy with things going on in the school. (She organized everything in the school. I actually think most schools have an extra paid position for those jobs now.)

And yes, you are seeing that correctly...Bruce Jenner before Hollywood.

When I was in college, I fell in love with Southern Living. Its arrival after I married and had my first home was always a welcome sight in the mail. Southern Living of the mid eighties to late nineties were my favorites. It is funny to look back at them now, because magazines have come a long way since then with color and photography. However, those issues are still some of my favorites. 

The Southern Living June 1982 issue remains one of my favorites to this day. I was living in the home management house at Auburn University that summer. It was a requirement to live one quarter in the house. You had to plan and throw a party, make a home improvement, etc. That was my go to magazine for recipes that summer, but that one issue was awesome. The home management house stay is a post all in itself. Maybe one day. Fun times! with coming together and trying to make things work for the professors' visits when it really wasn't working at all.

Photo is from the cookbook of that year.

My magazine choices have changed and I will share with you my latest faves in an upcoming post.

I still love the printed magazine. There is just something about stopping to sit in my favorite spot and peruse one for ideas. I know there is so much on the web these days from blogs to Pinterest and that I love also, but I love the feel of the magazine in my hand. I have not passed it on to my daughter. She is an all digital girl. Not sure if that is just her or all girls her age. It is that change that has made my choice of magazines different? Some change is good, but not all. More on that later.

You may ask why I have actual copies of magazines that old. I am a pack rat, but not that big of one. For many years, my hubby and I worked with the youth. Whether it was delivering the Wednesday evening message in the youth room or leading a small group to teaching in Sunday School, we worked to make it relevant and interesting to come to for the young people. 

In a discussion about how things have changed and how you have to weed through the stuff to make sure it fits Philippians 4:8 Test, I actually ordered some old magazines on Ebay for my girls to look through. There was quite a difference in the articles from then to now.

What was your favorite magazine growing up?

More on my favorite magazines of today coming, but I am going to leave you with a few ads from the above magazines. I love the Lane hope chest ad. Anyone remember that one?

Sandy


"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things." ---Philippians 4:8

5 comments:

  1. I don't remember what I read in high school or college, but in my early 20's it was all about Country Living. I still have some from the 80's. I don't read any now unless I am in the doctors waiting room too long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping in AnnMarie. My mom has been sick a good bit this year, and we have made quite a few trips to doctors' offices. I think only one office has had magazines. Everyone is on their phone, which I use a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy, I'm still a magazine in the hand girl, too! I subscribe to Southern Living, HGTV magazine and BHG. In high school, it was Tiger Beat! I enjoy your posts and I hope your mom is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do remember Tiger Beat! Thanks for stopping by.
      I am sharing my new favorites tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. How delightful! I remember all those shampoo ads the most! Thank you so much for sharing this stroll down magazine memory lane!
    And thank you for sharing at Something to Talk About!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy