Thursday, January 25, 2018

Putting the Hobby to Bed

I shared this month that I had decided to give sewing a wholehearted effort. The hobby would either come to the forefront or be put to bed.



You see I have fond memories of all the things my very talented mother made for me. She was quite gifted in her day. She laid it down many years ago.
Then couple it with the fact that I am home economics major who went another path for the career. A God given path though -I believe.

It just seemed it was always on the list of things I would do when I retired.



Retirement is now a way of life and yet sewing is not.

This year I decided to determine if it was really something I really enjoyed.

I can honestly say as January closes it is not something I really desire as much as the idea.



I am putting it to bed. I have a stash of fabric that will be used for crafts or passed onto someone else, because I actually have used this month to give it a real whirl.

I will still sew simple projects, like a curtain or two or a project bag, but sewing for me is a goner!!!

I may even pick it up when and if I ever have grandchildren, but I don't think it is ever going to be on a large scale.


This shirt was just plain unenjoyable. No need to do the planned third project.



Notice that most of my pictures had nothing to do with sewing. I have been busy in the house just enjoying tidying things and resting inside while January has proved to be cold cold cold.

I have another week to do those inside tasks in January. One of which may be lightening the load in the fabric stash cabinet.



I will be back soon with other stuff to talk about. I am sure y'all will be tired of me talking about sewing.

You know I always like to share things like that because there may be just one person who needs to hear a similar message. If that is the case, it is always worth the sharing.



Did you notice I needed a little pink in my life? Life is short...I love pink and am following a good friend's advice to do more of What I Enjoy!
Sandy


11 comments:

  1. A prudent decision dear Friend. And hey...I will buy some project bags if you go into the business.: Went to see my friend and thank you for the prayers. I did not cry until I was in the car. Praying God's mercy on this precious family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to watch young people go, but I found it is hard watching people my age die too. IT really puts it out front and center how quickly life passes.

      Delete
  2. This is my sewing nowadays -- things like simple table runners and throws, placemats and curtains, mug rugs and coasters -- things that I can make and use or give as gifts. I also am done with sewing garments and now that I have faced that fact (thanks in part to your own musings about it), it occurs to me that I can get rid of all my sewing patterns for clothing!

    And yes, so hard to face the facts that illness happens even to younger people. I have seen that in my own siblings (I was the oldest and am the only one left of four) and it was difficult to watch. It does indeed remind us vividly how brief life is and the importance of living it to God's glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That had to be really hard watching four siblings. I can't even imagine.

      I love to read other people's musings on life. Often there are nuggets of wisdom in there for me, so that is why I write posts such as that.
      I am thinking one of my cabinets may get a little lighter as well.

      Delete
  3. What a great post to read this morning, Sandy! Life is too short to squander the time on hobbies (or things or even people) that you aren't enjoying. Miss Betsy is looking good. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin. I like to know what others think about things. That is what drew me to blogs in the first place. I think there are little bits of wisdom we can all gather when we share our thoughts.

      Delete
  4. Sandy, You gave it sewing a good try and if it does not bring you pleasure there is no sense wasting time when your other hobbies are more enjoyable. Love your pink touches!! Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. Wait until you read my pink story today! I do like pink, but I may need to check the mirror more often:)

      Delete
  5. I'm in the same boat Sandy. I only sew for the house...drapes, pillows, shower curtains, bedding etc. But I have no desire to make clothes anymore. I used to make all of my clothes but no more. Fabric is expensive these days and the sales on clothes make it less expensive to buy them ready made anyway. But the real reason is I just don't like sewing clothes anymore. My Mom was a professional seamstress and I felt an obligation to sew but I finally have stopped too. I just don't get any enjoyment out of it. RJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are making a wise decision, Sandy... At our age, we need to be indulging in hobbies that make us smile--not that frustrate us. I look forward to seeing more of your stitching--your little pink valentine is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have felt so much better since I crossed it off my list. I have been cross stitching away.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy