Thursday, August 16, 2018

Return to Cross Stitch

I had this post pop into my head today, so here goes.

I had no idea when I started blogging (just before retirement from teaching) that I would get back into cross stitching (bordering on obsession) or meet so many stitching friends.

I am not ready to say that my blog is only a stitching blog, because it is NOT, but the fact that a hobby that entertained me for hours on end in the 1980's and 90's would come back and fill so many hours again has caused me to blog about it much more than I intended.

This will be a stitching only post so friends that don't care for stitching I promise I have more to write about than stitching, but this is one is for my stitching friends.

When I stopped cross stitching it was not because I didn't love it, but life with kids and work just sort of sent it to the back burner. I picked up cross stitching when I was in college. I remember the first project and I was hooked from that point forward. I stitched all the way through Auburn and then I stitched in the evenings until kids and school just became too much.

I began thinking about it again and planned a project to start as soon as I walked out of school for the last day.

When I returned to this love, so much had changed... Aida cloth was not in ...there was something called fancy floss... new hoops, etc.

My dear friend Arlene from Nanaland answered many questions and has never ever steered me wrong with advice. I have no local stitching friends, so she must endure texts from me where I just think aloud sometimes. Love you Arlene!

This past weekend I had two blogger friends reach out and ask me about stitching. They too had once been stitchers. I go all excited when Barbara from Sweet Tea and Sandals did this post.

Anyway, this post idea came to me today, so if I haven't already bored you to death I am going to answer many of the questions I asked Arlene over months of starting again. So, if there is anyone out there thinking about getting back into cross stitching here are some things that are different than years ago or at least they were for me!

FLOSS

The only thing I knew about was DMC and Anchor. Now, there are what stitchers have dubbed "Fancy Floss." That means they are overdyed and many have variegation in the colors. Some of the brands are Weeks, The Gentle Arts, and Classic Color Works. My understanding is that they are not waterproof so they could bleed.
Are they necessary?

Well, let me give this disclaimer right here...Everything is my opinion and there are more opinions than you can shake a stick at. I think everyone's opinion counts. Just like in my teaching days I like to try new things...then I make a determination for myself. You will find a lot of different thoughts about everything I am posting.

My opinion is that it depends on the project. Many swear by them. I truly prefer to stitch with DMC, but in some of the newer patterns I think the fancy floss is needed. I think some of the newer patterns were designed with them in mind and the color variegation is needed. Many older patterns used a lot of different colors and you changed colors a lot to get the variegation, but with some of the newer patterns the fancy floss provides it.

Here is an example of what I mean...
I did this leaf pillow and it is with DMC, but to get all that color there is a ton of different colors.



Then this cottage on the patriotic is done with one fancy floss color, but you can see how much color variation is in that one color.



Now, I had no idea what any of the fancy floss names were when I started the project below, so I used the DMC colors and many were two DMC colors for every fancy floss name. The pattern was a Blackbird Designs pattern and it had the DMC numbers listed right after these wonderful color names.
I was ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS they were names of actual "fancy floss." I just mixed the two colors together. This is called "tweeding" and can work on some projects. I did not feel like I missed out on anything by not using fancy floss on this project.



One more thing on floss...
Here are some links to use DMC conversions for fancy floss...
The Gentle Arts to DMC
Weeks to DMC
Classic Color Works to DMC

ACRONYMS

Oh how I love acronyms, so I loved this aspect of stitching. After all, I had my students get in an SQL...which sounds so much cooler to a 4th grader than a straight quiet line.

There are WIPs, FFOs, SALs, etc.
Here is a site for acronyms and their explanations. Gotta love this...
https://www.caterpillarcrossstitch.com/blogs/news/cross-stitch-acronyms-explained

STITCHING ROTATION

This is an idea of having multiple projects going at once. I waffle on this idea. I am currently giving it a whirl. I have always been more of a one project at at time girl. There are all kinds of SALs and hashtags on Instagram...
#witchywednesday
#saturdaysantas

I tend to do one larger project and one small so when you mess up and need to walk away for a few days you have something else to go to.

HOOPING

Lots of opinions and options here on hooping. I am amazed at the ladies who don't use a hoop. There are tons out there and some of my favorite stitchers don't use them!!!
I am more of a hoop girl...I think it is just how I learned.

AND...how hoops have changed.
I use more than one kind. IT depends on the project.

I have had the blue hoops FOREVER.

Arlene shared with me about Qsnaps. I like them too. I especially like them when you have a project that fits in it and you never have to change it out. IF you do, you can use some felt strips to protect your stitches.


One hoop that I am totally intrigued with is this one used by Judy at Halland House Gifts.

Source: https://hallandhousegifts.blogspot.com
I have yet to purchase one, but I would think this would be great for a really large project.

MAGNIFICATION

One thing I have learned is my eyes ain't what they used to be and I totally relate when someone says they quit because they couldn't see it anymore. I know my own mother doesn't sew much not because she can't whip out some amazing stuff, but because she just can't see it.

I use stronger reading glasses for stitching than just my usual reading or seeing print. That ingenious idea came from an eye doctor. He didn't give me glasses, just told me what strength to use for each activity. God bless him.

Then there is a need for adequate lighting and magnifiers.

I have a good lamp. I had one that I got at Walmart, but recently acquired a floor lamp (you will see it when I get to my stitching chair) to come right out over my stitching.

One of my favorite tools is this clip on magnifier with light attached too. I can't remember if I ordered it from Amazon or found it at Hobby Lobby.
It clips the best on my old round hoops, but I can swing it as well on my Qsnap which for me is another reason to hoop.




There are lots of magnifiers out there. This is my personal favorite. I tried one of those things that hangs around your neck. I think I am too short for that.


LINENS


I don't look at all my projects done on AIDA and go, "Yuck!" In fact, I still love them all just as much, but I am enjoying trying the new linens. My one wish is that I had a Local Needlework Shop (LNS) to visit so I could handle them. Alas I do not, so 123 Stitch is my go to store.

28 count is the same as 14 count Aida if you stitch over two holes... Check out this link for information on that.

Lots of different kinds too... I mean lots!

And then there is do you use one strand or two strands. The larger the linen count, the chances you will want to use one strand of thread IF YOU CAN SEE IT...which I have great trouble with. But, then you can do like Stitching Friend RJ does... use multiple pairs of readers at once. I have not mastered this... YET!

For me this is all trial and error.. I like a full coverage and each linen is different. Some are very loosely woven and need two strands even on a higher count while others are very tightly woven and one thread gives a full coverage.

I usually try out a few stitches to determine which I will do.

Everyone needs to find their own sweet spot.

Just saying that previous statement leads me to FLOSS TUBE and blogs. Y'all, you can literally spend hours watching videos and reading blogs devoted to this wonderful hobby. There will be so many opinions and ideas.
I have learned so much from watching...

the downfall...not knowing when to quit watching and just do your thing.

That leads to this...
you can go in debt buying patterns that you will never get to. I started making a list every time I saw something I liked and buy a new pattern only when I am really going to start it. 123 Stitch even has a way to make a wish list which was helpful for Christmas gifts this past year.

Here are a few other tools and tips I have found work for me.

The line magnet which holds your place. I have had this for over 20 years, but think I saw one at JoAnn's. I actually have two which is nice. There is a piece of metal which you lay your pattern on and then there are strips of magnets which mark your place. When I don't use it I mess up!
Probably my favorite tool other than the clip on magnifier.



The other thing you can go in debt over is project bags. I haven't not fallen down that hole just yet. I keep thinking I will sew my own, but that hasn't happened. I keep my projects in Ziplock bags and then put them in school bags I had. I have six of them hanging in my sewing room. I can grab the bag and go easily.
IT is all in the Ziplock bag which then goes in the hanging bag.

Hanging bags can be grabbed to take to my stitching chair or to the trip to Auburn.

Close up of a bag.


I keep a basket next to my stitching chair for the one project I bring into the living room to work on. When I am tired of stitching it, it returns to the hangers back in the sewing room.

Today I was working on the Spell of the Moon, so I just grabbed the Ziplock.

This is my stitching spot. See lamp and basket. I sometimes bring the whole hanging bag especially if the project has lots of threads. I will often hang it on the knobs of the side table.

Laptop can sit on my side table for Floss Tube viewing. IT is addictive y'all.


Arlene gifted me this folder bag and I love this. I keep my scissors which I was forever losing and extra needles as well as loose threads when I am stitching. It stays in the basket in the living room.


You can see it in the basket in the above pictures.


Speaking of threads, there are more ways to store thread than you can possibly imagine. This works for me.
I have tubs that store my threads and then I pull the colors I need to add to my Ziplock bags when I am kitting up a project. 
The KEY to this storage is SNACK size bags and 3 X 5 index cards. Those two items will provide a stand up filing system.




I even have a system down within the bag. The front has the skein of thread. Once it is cut and part has been pulled off it goes to the back of the bag. Keeps me a bit more organized.




I have a tub designated for cloth, one for pattern book, and then a basket for patterns and cloth that I want to do very soon. Well, as in the next year:)

Top shelf...contains pattern books.

Other top shelf cubby contains fabrics and linens.

Basket contains almost kitted up projects that are on my want to stitch list.
One other bag that hangs is a catch all for hoops and things like that. I once had them in my storage tubs with patterns and linens. I got tired of climbing and just designated a bag for hoops.

As a former school teacher. I was not lacking for bags.


If your eyeballs are falling out yet, just know there is tons more. IT has become quite the event with social media and blogs, etc. 

I do love it and want to keep at it as long as my eyes last. I do tend to do more small projects and look for ways to finish them without framing as I have no wall space left for anything. Yet, with the Auburn house I might be able to do a few more larger things.

I have loved researching all the cute ways people finish them rather than framing these days. A whole new world of ideas...people.

IT is either the greatest hobby ever or an obsession. I will let you decide. I hope this was helpful to those who were like me...starting back after a long break.

Happy stitching,
Sandy

P.S. Remember there is no one way to do any of this. Be true to yourself and do what you like and use the method you like. It should be enjoyable to you!

21 comments:

  1. I.LOVE.THIS.POST, Sandy! I have read half of it as I type this comment and will need to get back to it later today when I have more time but already, it is so incredibly helpful. I had no idea there was such a thing as Fancy Floss and my goodness, I do remember having to switch out my DMC shades to get the design right. It could drive a gal crazy at times.

    Thank you for answering my questions via email and then going on to write this fantastic tutorial. I think I'm actually going to print up this post of yours because I want to have it at hand for repeated reading at any time, any where.

    And yes, I'm afraid that if if weren't for the detractions of weaker eyesight and arthritis in my neck, this would be an obsession for me. May the Lord help me to pace myself!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I couldn't stop myself once I started typing. It was all the stuff I learned as I jumped back in. I hope you can do a few things and enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. I need to print out the info you and Arlene have shared! I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed right now but I know I should just do a small project to see if I enjoy it! I'm going to buy some of the 14 count Aida hopefully soon....and I found an old cross stitch magazine with a small pattern. I think the magnet to keep up with the line you are on would be a big help. Thank you SO much for sharing your tips and ideas. It is a good project to take with you. I like the bags you are using...I LOVE this idea! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you got your package. I think 14 count Aida is the way to go. Hope you can put together you a Ziplock bag to go when you have to go to appointments and have fun. I had tons of teacher bags from workshops so they have worked out well for traveling with my projects.

      Delete
  3. I love you too Sandy!! It is good to have a dear friend who understands your love for all things cross stitch. This is an excellent post about our hobby. I see that Diane read it so I am glad we are helping others to return to something that was dear to them in the past. Magnifiers make all the difference as we age. I agree...for most things, DMC is sufficient. And I still use Aida every now and then. I think the Prairie Schooler charts look better on Aida. It might be the simplicity of Aida. And I am doing Christmas Quaker on Aida as it is just easier to count out all those motifs on Aida. You are much more disciplined than me about purchasing charts. I guess I am hoarding for the days when Marvin retires and I will not have as much money then to buy charts.( That is what I tell myself anyway.) Great concise post about the basics of cross stitch!! I am going to refer others to your post when they ask me about starting up with cross stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness..you have justified your purchases so well. I hadn't thought of it that way. I may need to let myself lose. That day is coming here as well. If that is my argument I really need to stockpile some fancy floss too. Some of the newer patterns are just designed in such a way that the fancy floss is needed. I really wish I could handle them in the store, then I would know if they had a lot of different variegation in them.
      I had to chuckle at myself. Once I started typing I couldn't stop myself. It was all the stuff I have thought about since jumping back in. I felt like the county extension agent writing a newspaper column that I always wanted to be. I think they would give me a word limit though!

      Delete
    2. Oh I have not thought of the county extension agent in years...do they still have them? lol Girl, I can justify my purchases for sure. It is my weakness. I will send you the Old Crow now that I have finished it. He was a fun stitch.

      Delete
  4. What a great post you have written, Sandy! The Internet has helped/enlarged the stitching community with information about online shops, stitching blogs (and Floss Tube and Instagram for those who view), and more. I have been inspired, encouraged, enabled and made friends through this love of cross stitch of ours. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy, I loved your post today. You explained things so well. I'm totally obsessed with cross stitch...could do it all day long. Too bad there are other things that have to get done too. It is my relaxation at night. As soon as the tv goes on for my husband, my needle starts moving and does not stop until late into the night. That is where I have to make an adjustment. I need to limit how long I stitch. I had the same thing happen to me. I stopped stitching for some years when I was teaching and doing military wife things. When I came back to it about five years ago so much had changed. I fell in love with the new patterns, the new flosses and LINEN. And yes I am the crazy lady that wears two pairs of reading glasses so I can stitch on 40 ct. or over one. I also use a daylight bulb in my lamp which has made a huge improvement in me seeing things. You can find them in Lowes. I actually take the light bulb with me when we go on vacation so I get good light when stitching.

    The best part of stitching are the blogs where I have made so many wonderful friends like you. I too do not have a local store and must use 123 (they are very reliable). I love linens especially 35 count and up so I only use one thread. I do use a lot of over dyed threads. But I will use DMC for small areas where the change in shades will not show up. I try to limit my purchases but that is close to impossible. But, I figure it is my only vice and it makes me so happy too. RJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you girl. I do the same thing when the TV goes on at night. I even give myself treats during the day. Work for an hour...stitch for 15 to 20 minutes!
      A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. Glasses, bulbs, time...oh my!
      It has become my only vice. I don't need the clothes or purses I thought I needed while I was working, so most of my thoughts go to what can I order from 123 Stitch. I am so grateful for them. I do wish I had a LNS so I could feel the linen or see the variegation in the fancy floss, but I love 123 Stitch. I have ordered a few specialty things from others, but most comes from them. If you read Arlene's comment, she just justified why we need to order more.

      Delete
    2. Arlene makes wonderful sense. LOL!!! Except we are already retired and I keep on buying. I'm with you I don't need a lot of clothes, makeup, hair items etc. I just need cross stitch so in the long run I'm a bargain. My husband actually encourages me to stitch because it relaxes me so much. RJ

      Delete
  6. Sandy, what a wonderful post for stitchers, beginning and experienced. I never saw that Line magnet before and that will certainly speed up my stitching. What a great help that will be to keep my place. I hope they still sell them!!
    I have to go look at the site for acronyms as I am still learning what some of them mean. For the longest time I didn't know what frogging meant!! I keep my threads pretty much the way you do. The floss in plastic bags but in marked envelopes in alphabetical or numerical order depending on the brand. I like that you can see your colors when looking for a color match. I prefer the fancy flosses myself and prefer to stitch with one thread so I figure they are not too expensive using the one thread. I wish I had a LNS close by but I'm probably better off without one! I have far too many patterns already but I just can't help myself!!
    I can't stitch for long periods of time so I reward myself throughout the day with little stitching breaks.

    I have the same tubs as you for my fabric and finishing items stash and that is another obsession, collecting fabric and finishing trims.

    I had no idea when RJ got me starting on stitching that it would lead to such a rewarding hobby and the most rewarding part is the friendships we have made while blogging. What a wonderful, helpful community stitchers are!! I really enjoyed this post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the hobby and the best part of blogging is finding people out there who share your passions. I so would love a local store, but like you it would probably be my downfall.
      I am still LEARNING so much. I didn't like fancy floss except for the variegation until recently. I felt they knotted so much, but then I started doing the looping method of starting and that helped, but I don't get the variegation that I did when you use a full strand. I have seen some who say it looks too striped to use it that way ....see... so much to think about. Anyway, I keep looking and learning and trying new things. I think I will change my mind many times with the amount of ideas and new stuff out there. I seriously love it though.
      I reward myself during the days when I am home with working for an hour, then I stitch for 15 minutes. Makes me work to get my housework done so I can stitch more. OF course, some days don't cooperate at all.
      The line magnet is great for detailed work. I have had it forever. I highly recommend it!

      Delete
  7. Commenting again here (left a comment yesterday, too, but ran out of time and am back today). Had to LOL when RJ said she takes her daylight bulb with her on vacation. Aren't needleworkers resourceful and clever?!!!

    Today I am checking out all of the links you put into this blog post. (No need to reply to this comment. I can tell we are all on the same wavelength!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy, you are so organized! That is wonderful. You have more time to stitch instead of hunt for just the right ingredients you need. I don't cross stitch. My eyes are not great. I do enjoy reading and seeing others' works!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have explained and described our "obsession" so well!Thank you! I love how you put the projects in fabric bags. I think I should do the same. AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had all those bags left over from school workshops when I retired. They have worked out well. I can just grab and go and everything is together. I am afraid stitching is quite an obsession, but a good one. I love it so much.

      Delete
  10. Sandy, this is a great run-down of all that stitching entails--from the basics to the more advanced "necessities!" I am going to share it with my DIL who is a beginning stitcher. Thanks for putting so much work into this very detailed and helpful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I got two emails I just decided to do this. These were things I wondered about when I started back. I know no locals stitching so all my info comes from blogs and Floss Tube. Love the community we have.

      Delete
  11. It is now 1 year and 5 months since I left a comment on this same post. I re-read it today and still learned some things. LOVE the snack bag -and- index card idea for storing thread! I will be doing that! You have been a huge source of information and encouragement over the last 17 months with cross stitching (and other topics, too). Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy