Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Birthday, All of September, and Stitching

 I decided at the beginning of the year that I would separate my family updates from stitching posts, but I am breaking my rule with this post. September is always a busy month and that means less blogging.

I have been working on two of my larger pieces and am honestly farther along on both pieces than my pictures. I was just too lazy to go back and photograph again.

I had hoped I would finish the heron this year but I don't think that will happen. I suspect it will go into January of next year. 


I am procrastinating now because to the right above that leg is going to be the tails feathers. It will be a lot of grays and changing threads. It is going to be so beautiful when completed, but it is going to take lots of concentration. When I get past that page I honestly thing the neck and head will go a lot quicker. 

My other stitch as of late is the Thirsty Hart sampler. This one is going slow because I am changing ALL of the colors. I am not great at that, but I envision this as colorful not a neutral pattern as charted.


I think this one can be finished in '21. As I said I am already a little farther along.

I have to take Mom to get an endoscopy tomorrow and then stay with her some tomorrow so I am taking a long something smaller to work on. I will share my progress on that next week.

I saw an Instagram post from one of my favorite decorators/gardeners. He lives in South Georgia so he is my gardening zone. He gets my love of summer but also forward thinking to fall. He said September is 3 parts summer and 1 part fall. I think that is true at least for Zone 8b. Summer is the one season I sort of hold on to even though I love everything about fall. 

I am slowing easing in which suits me really well. The light is changing and this week it seems like it happened even faster because of the cloudy weather.

I love mums and when I was growing up the big antebellum homes in Brewton would have lots of them out front. I have zero luck with them but it doesn't make me not want some any less. I succumbed and bought two small ones to enjoy since I figured the prices was about the same as grocery store flowers.

This was one morning when the light seemed so pretty and my little mum made me happy.


I have put out some fall...not all...just a slow adding it in.

I had put decorated my dining room table. My birthday was yesterday and we had a family dinner which was prepared for me. We hadn't planned to eat in there, but outside but it was rainy. I threw on the table cloth and set it all back in place. 



I was blessed and here is my only picture of the evening...


Here are few more shots from my phone...

Palmer's name has been hung.


Tucker loves the airplanes and in this case helicopters and much as his mimi.


I would have stopped to watch too.

It has rained so much that I have taken to walking Gus in the rain....otherwise he is going stir crazy.



So long,
Sandy



27 comments:

  1. Lovely picture of you holding two lovely boys. You look so happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I did enjoy myself last night so much. Those two boys also make me so happy.

      Delete
  2. As much as I think I would love having a dog, walking one in the rain lets me know cleaning the litter boxes - in any weather - is so much easier! LOL I enjoyed your post! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Sandy! I hope the entire month is a delight for you and it looks like you're off to a good start. Your stitching continues to amaze me. I still cannot even imagine concentrating well enough to get back to cross stitch. But I love seeing what you're up to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday, Sandy! What a wonderful picture of you and the two boys! Both of your larger pieces are looking fabulous. Hope your Mother's endoscopy went smoothly. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin. The endoscopy went well...now, it we can just get her to eat more.

      Delete
  5. Palmer's room is so cute and his name is perfect above the crib. Love you and your precious treasures....nothing like those grands. Happy Birthday and Happy Stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Sandy!
    Your heron stitching is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Sandy!!! This was a fun post and I loved seeing your stitching and actually all of the photos. I cannot imagine the patience required for stitching something as large and detailed as that heron. This morning as my friend and I walked, we saw a blue heron up quite close as it rose out of a little brook (surrounded by bushes) as we were passing by. What a majestic sight they are in flight!

    I love how Tucker stopped and stood still to watch the helicopter.

    I've done a little fall decorating here but only a little. It's not feeling like fall here quite yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely not feeling like fall. I just have to create it much like spring for you I suppose. I have found I do less each year. I like a little but not too much clutter. I shared a lot of it with Lindsay a few years ago.
      I have to stitch slow on something like that heron or I will make mistakes. I can't just stitch for days on end of it. It is as if fresh eyes are the best for a big project like that.
      Tucker seems to love the planes as much as me. He took a tour last spring of the museum here and wanted to know the name of every plane.

      Delete
  8. Happy Belated Birthday!! The heron is stunning, I see them all the time and they are such gorgeous birds. I wish I had the fortitude to stitch this! Hope Your Mom's endoscopy went well. Palmer's name is perfect and that is one gorgeous crib!! Your a dedicated dog owner!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know someone else who would have walked that dog too:) I took him yesterday to a big field out at the fair grounds and just let him run. It has rained so much that he was going stir crazy.
      Mom's endoscopy went well and I am hoping it will help her eat more.
      That crib is amazing. It converts to a bed later, but Tucker went to the bed very easy in the other room. I think he actually likes his new room. Lindsay's in-laws bought it for them.
      I have to go slow on the heron because if I stitch for a long time on it I seem to make a mistake. A little a time helps me keep it all correct.

      Delete
  9. Happy Happy Birthday!!! How wonderful to celebrate with family, especially those two sweet baby boys!! Well, one baby and one "big boy". You are SO blessed to have them near so you can enjoy them a lot! I am anxious to get some mums for the front porch. Looked at Walmart yesterday and they only had one color, so I think I will pass. I like a variety of fall colors. Pray all goes well with your mother's endoscopy. Love the stitching you are doing, and I agree, next year is soon enough. You have a full plate right now it seems! Palmer's name came out beautifully!! Yes, the sunlight is changing and it looks more autumnish every day. Just wish it felt that way! It will come, I just need to be patient! Have a blessed week, and Happy birthday again. We are September birthday sisters!! Mine is still on its way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light is definitely changing and looking more like fall EVEN IF it is not feeling like it. Hopefully it will feel like it by the end of the month. The mums at Lowe's were expensive this year too. I will have to check Walmart. I like the bright yellows but I also love the purple shades too. September sisters...I like that.

      Delete
  10. Sandy: Your Samplers are beautiful, I like changing colors on some designs.
    You look so happy with your grandbabies, they are so sweet.
    I like mums and your falls decorations are lovely.
    Gus is like Krissy and Mikey they need their walks each morning rain or not.

    Happy Birthday
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has rained so much this summer here. Everything is lush but it has cut into our walk time. They have to get out at least to take care of the morning business:) Thanks for all your complements. I would imagine you are feeling a bit of fall in the air already. It is still pretty warm here or at the very least muggy.

      Delete
  11. Sandy... what a gorgeous view you have!!! Your stitching is so pretty. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy late Birthday, my friend!!! Looks like you enjoyed it in the most perfect way!! Funny how little it takes to make us love and appreciate our lives now, isn’t it?!!!! Enjoy this quiet transition into fall with peace and love of life!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Belated Happy Birthday, Sandy. What a great picture of you with your grandsons. Reading this, I'm struck by how differently we all experience the seasons. Being much further north than you, while I know autumn begins in September, it feels very much like summer to me. Temps often in the 80's. But the changing light is noticeable and I love it. October is when the sky changes here. The blue is more vivid, and of course the leaves finally begin to change. Everything is so green here right now - makes me wonder if we may have a more colorful fall. That's always the question here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT is very hot still here. No change in color of leaves until December. It has been a rainy summer though for us, so while I wouldn't might a slight drop in temps I will be ok with a warm fall for awhile.

      Delete
  14. Well, first of all I wish you a belated Happy Birthday, Sandy! You are holding your two best gifts in that sweet photo of you and Tucker and Palmer. Love how Palmer's cross stitch turned out--it looks beautiful hanging above that lovely white crib! I wish you luck with the heron--I really don't do well with too many color changes as my eyes are aging. I find it very tiring. I'm working on a simpler Prairie Schooler now and thoroughly enjoying the ease of just pulling the needle in and out--very satisfying :)

    We've been hot here, but that will change tomorrow when our temps won't reach 60. Brrr... not quite ready for that yet :) Enjoy this last week of September and I do hope your mom's endoscopy went smoothly. Take care now ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your needlework is stunning, Sandy, I love that happy photo with your darling grans. Belated Happy Birthday wishes from me as well.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy