Monday, October 25, 2021

A Stitching Only Post

      My little stitching friends... this post is for you. I am going to refrain from telling about a new rug, sharing a grandbaby picture and all that of jazz. I know many of my stitching friends don't mind all that, but I am going to just talk stitching today.

I haven't done a stitching post where I just share all the thoughts in a while so along with what I am stitching I am going to share the thoughts that ramble around in my ole noggin.

I finished the Santa that I said I was stitching for my mother. Yes, I went with the called for darker red since it was a prefect match for the fabric that I want to use to make a standing frame for the stitch. I originally picked up the brighter color because I had Mother in mind, but I didn't choose well.  I am not so good at switching colors which I will talk about in a bit more.



The stitching for the Santa is finished, but if I waited until I finished it into the little standup frame this post might never get done. I will be using the cute little fabric pictured with it. Although it will be Christmas before I know it.

One thing about these Prairie School Santas that I learned stitching this one is that I really like them done with the smaller count linen. I don't know what it is about them, but I like them smaller. However, I do think this will be cute done up in a little standing frame though. I forget what those things are called that Vonna did the tutorial for. I generally do just a flat finish and put on an easel, but for this one I want it to stand alone.

Now, let's just talk ---unload my mind about some stitching stuff...IT will be a rabbit hole kind of post.

I am not good at changing out colors. I am a lover of color...not even a wee bit of a neutral girl, but for some reason I don't see color well. I have a color wheel that I use to match things and depend on my husband who sees things so differently than me. He can pick out the right shade and match up something so well at the paint store. I am not sure if I am explaining that well, but I am not good at changing up a designer's thoughts.

That said, I have wanted to stitch this verse for so long. I won't get into the details but it is a favorite. I have looked and looked for a pattern with it, but to no avail. I finally found this pattern, but those colors are so neutral and don't represent my love of color.



I have been on a quest to change it all up. I am not sure I love what I have done and I have tried to skip around to get to places where I could see the colors I had in mind together. The bottom line on my thinking is I am STILL not sure I like where it is headed. I have wanted to give up on it more than once. That is not like me. I also have another stitch I have wanted to give up on too. So I had to ask myself what is going on, Sandy? Anyway, here is where I am and I am laying her aside for now. That is another thing...what is going on with me having so many works in progress?



Here is the progress on the other large stitch I have ongoing. This one caught my eye and now for some reason the luster of it is gone. I do think when it is finished it will be pretty and I will be proud of myself. I have given myself grace to know it will be a very long time before it is finished because I am not feeling it. I think when I get closer to the end I will get excited about it again and maybe will have some get up and go about it again. I think I have learned a wee lesson here about choosing such a large project again.



I am still plugging along on my heron. Out of the larger projects I am doing I have not lost motivation to do this, but I have been so busy lately and this one is one you really have to be careful on and pay attention to detail. I will get him done, but he too will have to be done in small spurts of time. I look forward to his completion though.

I didn't take the heron out of the Q-snaps but he is so pretty. 


Now, that I have shared 3 very large works in progress I will say I fell into a bit of a stitching slump. Now, that is not like me at all. I LOVE cross stitching. It is my most favorite hobby followed by reading. So how did this happen? 

Well, I think several factors played into it.

1) I had 3 large projects going, one of which seemed overwhelming (the Let Freedom Ring) and one that I had to think too much about color changes (the verse) and then the huge heron that takes tons of concentration.

2) I had taken a step back from stitching so many smalls. I had decided I had nowhere to put them and then I honestly had not seen any cute patterns that just rang my bell. We will talk about these smalls more!

3) I had stepped away from just about everything except a few blogs, an occasional stroll through Instagram and hardly any Flosstube. Why you ask? Well, I had just too much information coming in! The world seemed nutty to me and everyone felt compelled to share their political views. I am going to completely honest with you. I unfollowed a ton of stitchers and pulled way back from even getting on any of it. I was just needing a break. With that pullback I saw little new stuff and kind of lost my inspiration for a bit. It was probably not a bad thing, but my stitches that I had going weren't really making me happy.

That break did me good though. When I did pop in I also decided I would be wise and just write down things I saw that I liked. I didn't want to go back to that impulse buying that I have toned down immensely. I was still trying to be disciplined and finish the things I had started. I wasn't feeling any joy though. I would write titles down and mull them over a long time. 

Slowly I have allowed myself to buy some things and I feel my inspiration coming back. Instagram is like reading a magazine to me. I like to look at pictures of cross stitch and pretty homes and pretty scenery. I wouldn't pick a magazine that had stuff I didn't like. That kind of explains my pull back from it.

We are going back to #2 in a minute but another thing that has really sunk in is how much I love to cross stitch and how much I need the hobby in my life. It is total relaxation to pull that needle back and forth especially when I am watching a project come to life that I love. 

That leads me to #2. SO WHAT IF I HAVE NO ROOM for those little guys. The pure pleasure and the good it does me to stitch is worth having some sit in a drawer. I studied on that a bit and while I have still been on my downsizing /decluttering trip around the house I really spent some time mulling over what to do with those little smalls. I think I came up a with an idea. I have been still culling the room I call my sewing room where very little sewing takes place. HaHa. I should change the name to work room (like teachers call the little room where bulletin board paper is in) or office. The room has always been a room that can get kind of junky. You may remember I added a long basket across that work counter. Well, it didn't take long before that was driving me crazy. 

To make a long story short I have really been culling and rearranging in there when I had some free moments. I spend a lot of time in that little room so I want it to be full of the things I like. I have freed up some space for smalls and given myself a place to house them. I found I didn't like them so much scattered everywhere around the house. Maybe at some point down the road I will share some pictures of my progress, but it is still a work in progress.

Anyway, my inspiration is back. My hobby is back and life feels a bit better even though I have a lot going to keep me a bit bonkers.

I purchased some new "large pieces" and yea, I know they will take a long time, but I waited so long on both of them that I felt sure I was making the right decision. 

One is a Thanksgiving stitch. I have wanted one for a long time. I really was on a search for one that I could put a verse of "We Gather Together" on it, but never came across the just right thing. I did however look at the stitch I bought for months on end mulling it over. I finally decided to purchase it. The girl on Instagram who did this and inspired me did hers on 20 count Aida. I had no idea this existed but I am choosing that to do mine. It will probably Thanksgiving 2023 before it is completed and that is ok.  



I also purchased this sampler by Plum Street Samplers. I looked it such a long time as well and gave myself permission to purchase it. 

I just really wanted to start this one so I did.


I have two new larger things to start which means the ones I am on the fence about will linger or get me going again. Either way, pulling that needle in and out is totally good for me.

I also have some smalls I am excited about again. They will be sprinkled between the larger pieces for that instant satisfaction. I had said no more fall but with my new ideas in the "sewing room" I now can add some more seasonal pieces for all the seasons.

First up in the smalls is some Christmas pieces. I have been thinking about the Christmas village pieces by Little House Needleworks even before I saw Debbie at Country Stitchers on Flosstube. She has done them together rather than as smalls and they are simply amazing. I have been intrigued by them so much, but couldn't quite make myself ever start on them. After much much much thought ranging from Debbie's idea to little pillow to all sorts of things. I even debated did I want to do them like a town that had meaning to me....a combination of Brewton and Monroeville where I grew up or like Fort Walton Beach. Now, if I did Fort Walton Beach then they couldn't look like winter scenes could they? I mean I think I have thought of every sort of idea. I love them and they just keep me bringing back to them. I have three of the patterns  and think it is time to start somewhere. I have landed on individually done rather than a large piece. I have also landed on those stand up framed pieces with a Fort Walton Beach flare. I will try and personalize them when I can with things from here past and present. Anyway, it is a start. I am looking forward to stitching them.

I have chosen this one to start the series.


Let's wrap this up. I have so many things I want to stitch and there will never be enough time, but it is a wonderful time filler in the evenings. It is a great stress reliever. Nothing lasts forever. Yes, some of my stitching will end up at a thrift store because I wouldn't want my kids to keep them JUST because I stitched them. It doesn't matter...I enjoy it and it brings me joy.

I have several smalls that Lindsay wants for the season after Christmas so I should have plenty to keep me busy and to allow for stress relieve.

I have allowed myself for buy some new things and old stuff or stuff I don't care for anymore can be passed on to someone who will like it. I feel better. My slump is over!!!

I hope my crazy thoughts helps someone else sort through their stashes and thoughts.

Happy stitching,

Sandy

15 comments:

  1. As you know, I am not a stitcher but I sure enjoy seeing your projects through to completion! You do such beautiful work! Thanks for sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow so many stitching projects. Happy Stitching Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am like you, if I have some big things going, I need some smalls that I can finish along the way. G Legere is going to take me quite a while to finish but that is ok. I love the big patriotic piece and I almost bought it for my self but I knew I would not finish it if I got discouraged. And I love that Thanksgiving sampler. I ordered Brenda Gervais new Christmas piece with the Santa Mug and a Gingerbread house on top. I hope to finish it by Christmas. I also ordered Turkey Hill Farm after seeing it stitched up. But that is all. I ordered some Victorian motto flosses from ETSY. She now sells her flosses there and it is much more convenient for me. You are right about stitching being a stress reliever. It keeps me going!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that big Thanksgiving design and I'm glad you are enjoying this again. I go through this with my junk journals. I will clean up and put everything away for awhile and then I'm ready to dig it all out and start creating! I love stitching but never investing in the thread. And every pattern uses so many different shades of color. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all get in slumps sometimes. It usually happens when I am a bit TOO busy. I do understand about the floss. I have tons of it and I honestly have tried not to go too crazy with some of the newer flosses as they are way more expensive than DMC. Some of the new patterns are designed with those flosses in mind though and the floss provides the color change. Lots has changed. I love your junk journals. If I had time that would be a second hobby:)

      Delete
  5. Sandy, what a thought provoking post on stitching you shared! I am glad your slump has come to an end. I like the colors you are using for the Thirsty Hart piece. You have made good progress on the patriotic piece and I am glad your Heron piece is still calling to you. Well done on getting the PS Santa finished. I think it will make an wonderful flat fold. I would love to see a picture of your 'sewing room' even with it being a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy, I can see why working on such large pieces are so overwhelming. I'm glad your mojo has returned and that you are making time for stitching. I love the heron and glad you have not lost your desire to work on him!! That is for Lindsay if I recall. I rarely change colors, I think I did it only once that I really preferred mine over the designers. The last thing I want to see on a xstitch blog is politics!! I only go to 2 floss tubes now, I watch the entire Country Stitchers and the beginning of Priscialla and Chelsea, I skip the giveaways as I have enough. Though, I was away for a week and got to go to a cross stitch store in Cape May, NJ. ( I don't have a local one) So, it was a treat and came home with 2 new Brenda Gervais patterns. Jack O Lantern Jubilee and Happy Birthday America. I have been steadily de-cluttering and giving away things I haven't used in years. It's not easy to do. I have been mostly cardmaking as eye issues slow my stitching to a crawl. I love it but it is not relaxing as stitching. Looking forward to seeing your stitching and glad your back in the swing of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that stitching is something that we all enjoy. I truly love it but I was missing it.
      I am with ----no politics. I go to these places for a break away from the crazy! I love Country Stitchers and usually watch them although it might take a couple of sittings to listen. They are just so sweet and I like both of them. The other one I always listen to is Marlene at Stitching by the Lake. Other than the two of them I don't watch too many. I will occasionally pop into another one, but not often.
      I like some of Brenda's fall line but I had told myself no new stitching for fall. Now, I may go back and get some of those next year.

      Delete
  7. Your blog is so inspiring and as always a joy to read. Thank you for sharing your feelings and thoughts...it is very encouraging. Now I just need to pick up a needle! :)
    Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do beautiful work Sandy! I am in awe. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your words, "... the world seemed nutty to me...." I am agreement on that and will stop there on that topic. But your words made me chuckle.

    Always always always love your stitching. My desire to go back to cross stitch has not returned and that's okay. I'm keeping all my supplies, etc because one never knows when it could come back. So I enjoy yours. I like the patterns you choose. They're so homey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandy: I have has slumps where I do not want to pick up my needle and thread, when it pass's it feels so good.
    You have some beautiful; designs going, anything Patriotic are my favorites.
    I like changing colors myself, sometimes it is better for the design, your red on Santa is perfect, I do like the coordinating fabric for his backing, do you mean a flat-fold as a finish for him?
    I really like your new stash, I am looking forward to seeing the Little House finished.
    I do like hearing about your family, we could not have children and adoption was way to expensive for us, so seeing what Grandmothers are doing with their grandbabies is a joy.
    Have a lovely evening.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always enjoy your posts, Sandy--stitch themed and otherwise :) I'm so late commenting as we were in Kentucky for another wedding and I'm just now catching up. Love your PS Santa and the cute fabric will be perfect for finishing him! I'm in awe of you stitching that big Independence Day piece--as much as I love it, I know I would never get it finished. I just can't have too many things going on at once. I usually have one larger piece and one or two smalls going at the same time--that is it.

    Changing colors is challenging for sure. I only make small changes here and there--nothing on the scale of what you are doing. I have to give you credit! And it's looking great. Love the new Thanksgiving piece--but again, it is just too large for me to even think about starting.

    Now to Flosstube... just not a fan at all. I watch one every now and then, but highly prefer decorating/thrifting type videos on You-tube. I find that most flosstubers are way too slow and I get tired of the pets wandering through or kids interrupting. I guess I'm just weird that way :)

    Anyway, a thoroughly enjoyable post that gave us a lot to think of (especially where oh where will all my smalls and Christmas ornaments end up!!!!). ♥

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy