Saturday, March 19, 2022

Spring!

Tomorrow is the first day of spring to some people. I am beyond excited about that idea, but the truth is I adhere to meteorological dates for spring and summer and astronomical dates for fall and winter. You can easily see which seasons I like most with this view of the starting dates. 

I had hoped I would have that "little" heron all stitched by this day. That didn't happen. Here's my progress.


He is going to be a winner when I finish his tail feathers. I did get his beautiful neck and head all done. There is also an over one dragonfly started over to the left. All of it is a distraction to those grays of the tail feathers. I have no explanation as to why they are so hard other than I am off a little bit and am not frogging it. I am going to plow forward and the grays all run together so I have to do little bits of it at a time. 

Hence, I am not giving it a timeline to be finished anymore. I want to enjoy it and it not be a chore. What will be will be!!!

I have so many other things I want to stitch on, so no rules for me. I am too old for all those rules.

The past few weeks have been tough and busy so no blogging has taken place. I lost my friend, Kim. Her funeral was this week and that just took all my emotions to write with it out the door. I still can't even write a tribute to her. 

We have cleared Danny's house and are just waiting on the cleaning people to do their thing and then we list it. It is hard to get anyone to do anything these days. I think Jeff and I have determined we have checked almost all things off the list except those of the house and then closing out the bank account. I got his taxes ready to send to his accountant this week and everything has been donated, sold, or turned off. I think that is incredible that most has been done in less than a month. Danny gets credit for having his house in order so to speak. 

I am still working on trying to get mine more in order. I have been brutal in this round of getting rid of stuff. I think the Goodwill people must wonder. It feels really good to get rid of things. It has taken me a long time to get there.

The one thing I did keep of Danny's was his stereo that had a turntable. I put it downstairs where we had one that I took to donation. I have had the most fun going down and listening to my old 45s mostly and some albums. Tucker enjoyed the old stories where it dings to turn the page. I did keep about a dozen books to read. I will pass them on as I read them though.



Jeff and I are going to take off a few days at the beginning of this week to go to the Auburn house. It is spring break in our school district. Lindsay and her family have traveled to visit with Tyler's family, so I have the first part of the week with no kiddos. Paul Allen and Katie are getting the baby room ready. Things are starting to look cute in there too.

I haven't much to say other than I have just been busy. 

Palmer and I have fun days together. He is army crawling everywhere. He is so close with the full on knee crawling. I had to take the walker away from him because he was too fast with it and he is like a bull in a china shop with it. He is quite a bit more rambunctious than Tucker was. He loves stroller rides and I love getting out with him.


When we return from Auburn I hope to spend the end of the week getting some outdoor chores done. I am ready to see everything in full bloom. The azaleas popped out a bit too early this year and got bit by the cold spell that dipped down too far south. They won't have a banner year in my neighborhood, but everything else is budding and looking like they are daring anymore cold weather to stick its nose in down here.

This "no rules" girl is signing off for a few days.



24 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post, Sandy. I am so sorry for your loss of your friend Kim and also for the loss of Danny. What an inspiration he was to have so many things in order for those who would be dealing with those issues. I would like to think I would be like that, but I am not organized yet.

    The heron is looking amazing.

    Have a wonderful time at Auburn! You and Jeff both need some time away; glad you are getting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to think I am that organized as well, but I realize I am not. I may have the big things together in one spot for the kids. I am needing to keep a running list of account numbers and passwords etc for them. It can be a daunting task.
      We definitely could use a few days to unwind and hopefully get outside which is always my good thing.

      Delete
  2. Sympathies for the loss of Kim
    Being busy, time away will be good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. She was such a good friend and only 61. That is way too young.

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. It's been such a hard time and I know it has affected us all. Love your big beautiful heron! Hope the weekend is nice there! It's beautiful weather here right now. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the news coupled with some tough few weeks have been hard. We are looking forward to a few days away and hopefully some good long walks in Auburn. They have some great hiking trails there...change of scenery. I think a few days in the fresh air and away from cleaning out will do me good.

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend Kim. I can imagine how that has hurt. I lost a good friend to cancer a couple of years ago, and it was really hard. Even harder was she had moved up to Minnesota to be with her family the last few months of her life, so we didn't even get to go to a funeral or memorial service for her. But good friends live on in our hearts and minds. I try to remember the happy and healthy times together, and that helps. I am glad you are going to get a way for a few days this week. After what you've been through I am sure a little break will be very welcome. I can't wait to see "the heron" when it is complete. We have a live heron here frequently that I love to watch and take pictures of. They are very interesting creatures. Please have a good restful time and we'll catch up with you when you are back and up and running again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies



    1. The past few weeks have been less than fun and goodness the news these days doesn't help. I am looking forward to a few days to recharge our batteries. We are leaving after church and really don't have much on the agenda but to just rest and relax. I have such great memories with Kim and know she is no longer suffering but sitting with Jesus.

      Delete
  5. Your heron is so beautiful already! What lovely work you do! Tucker is looking much too grown up! Rules are meant to be broken... !! I am sorry for the loss of your dear friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really just don't want to adhere to my old self and always spinning to get to the next thing, so no rules! Tucker is getting so big. I look at him sometimes and wonder where the time is going. I wish I could slow time down just a bit.

      Delete
  6. Hi Sandy,
    your stitching looks great.
    Have a nice Sunday. Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sandy: I bet you all are happy to see the home cleaned out it is a chore, I am experienced by my in-laws homes.
    your heron is positively beautiful, I have made a few mistakes but did not frog no need of t works out in the end.
    Have a relaxing time at Auburn.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone who has cleaned out a home knows what a job it is. It is hard emotionally too because we realize all our stuff is not so important. We are just waiting on the cleaning company to clean it out and then we will list it. They keep calling and moving the date back. IT is not Monday. ARghhh...We had a nice few days away and are back home today. I have lots of little chores to do, so I better get busy.

      Delete
  8. That heron is beautiful and I agree with you....cross stitch is done when it is done. I do not understand all those people who count stitches and do WIP boards etc. I am a rebel ....I stitch what I like when I like. And that is just fine. I am so sorry about your friend....it is so hard to see people who you have a history with, leave us behind. What a great thing for Tucker to have those books to listen to by the stereo. I have starting listening to the Cat Who Books by Lilian Braun on You Tube. I can stitch and listen and it is so calming. Have a good time at your Auburn house. We are off to Grimmwood this morning. Happy Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard of the book you are talking about. I do love to listen to a book while stitching. I have kind of kept one book going from the library like that. This library thing has been very good. It is a cooperative with northwest Florida and has given the area a lot larger selection than just our library. We are back from Auburn. We took Mother with us so it wasn't as relaxing as it could have been but still good. It was her 87th birthday so we took her to eat out while we were there.

      Delete
  9. Sandy, I am sorry to hear about your friend Kim. It sounds like you have Danny's estate in good shape. I am glad that you and Jeff are going to take a few days to unwind and relax at the Auburn house. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops, I forgot to say the Heron is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin. The heron is beautiful. He has been the biggest project I have ever done. I have enjoyed all of him other than those gray tail feathers, but they aren't bad if I don't try to do too much at one time.

      Delete
  11. Oh, I like your "no rules" rule, Sandy. :) Your Heron is really coming along, and it's just beautiful. You have accomplished a lot in a short amount of time with Danny's house. I know the relief of checking off all the things that have to be done for an estate. I'm sorry for your loss of your friend, Kim. Your heart must be so heavy. I hope your trip to Auburn is a refreshment to you and Jeff. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki, it has been a hard few weeks, but we know they are part of life. I am pulling myself up and getting a grip. I have been reminded of how much everyday is a gift.

      Delete
  12. Sandy, I am so sorry to hear about losing your dear friend Kim.
    Your heron is just gorgeous, one of my favorite birds, what a wonderful this gift will be for Lindsey. I agree, don't put pressure on yourself and enjoy the stitching. Tucker is so darn adorable!!! What a joy it must be for you to help raise this 2 adorable grandchildren. I hope you have a relaxing trip to Auburn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely don't want to stitch if I am not enjoying it. I am adhering to the rule of no rules when it comes to stitching.

      Delete
  13. Aww... Sandy, I'm so very sorry to read that you lost a good friend. It's just so hard at times isn't it? And you've already had a lot to deal with with your BIL's death. I love that you kept his stereo equipment. I was just reading about how young people these days are getting back into records again. Oh, the hours I spent listening to those little 45s that we bought for 75cents a piece :) Those little books that ding are wonderful for Tucker, I'm sure. I wish I had saved some of ours.

    Your heron is amazing! I bet you can hardly wait to see it framed and hanging in your home! You are so right though--stitching is not a race, enjoy the journey! I'm still amazed at how fast some people stitch, but then I remember that they are probably a good 20-30 years younger than me :) I've definitely slowed down, but that's okay.

    We just had Mister B here for five days--what a delight! It is SO MUCH EASIER now that he can walk and talk and tell me what he wants. I think I'm just better with the toddler age than the infant.

    You take care now and I hope you're getting some outdoor work done. We are heading to Naples next week for the same :) Enjoy your weekend ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent entirely too much babysitting money on 45s and spent a lot of time in my bedroom listening to them. I could never get rid of them because of the investment in them. I have had so much fun revisiting them. I don't know if that will last but I am loving them.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy