Sunday, March 27, 2022

Getting Back in the Swing of Things.

I am going to try and get my blogger motivation back up and running. I have lost it along the way and my family has informed me they don't think I should quit, so here I am jumping back in. It is a bit hard to write these days when the world is such a terrible mess, but maybe that means I need to all the more. I can't do much beyond give and PRAY for the world, but I can keep a distraction going over here on the Homefront.

I was at the doctor's office a couple of weeks ago and I could hear through the paper thin walls at one particular conversation he was having with a gentleman about depression. I think all that isolation time and now war talk has more than a few just losing hope. I think my visit was a good interruption for the poor doctor in his day. I had great bloodwork results and no problems. I think he was pleased to walk into a room where he didn't have to do much but just say hello and howdy do. However, today my allergies have wiped me out. I woke up so congested. Fortunately I had some good medicine from a previous visit to an online doctor, so I am better this evening. I need to bounce back as I am keeping Tucker tomorrow. His daycare has a teacher workday. Tucker has high expectations for a visit to Mimi's house. He gave me a list of foods to have on hand Friday evening. There is no way he can eat his entire list but it is all in the pantry for his selecting tomorrow.

Jeff was on spring break last week....

My week turned out to be not my own. IT was guided by everyone else, but it all turned out well. We made it to the Auburn house, but it was more of a work trip that I had hoped. We took two beds (not mattresses) to exchange and I can adamantly tell you I am over moving furniture. I told Jeff that I am officially too old for that! I was sore in far too many places upon our finishing.

The beds were from Danny's house. Both were way better than the two we had in two of the rooms there. I was able to use the wood from them, but not the mattresses. He was a smoker and they were just awful. Now for the bedroom downstairs we were able to just use the mattresses we had. Both were queens so all was good. 

The second bedroom upstairs was a full or double bed and we had wanted to change it out anyway. We bought a box spring from Sam's and also tried out one of those mattresses that are a mattress in a box. Just let me tell you they are not any lighter because they come in a box! So with moving one down the stairs and a new one up the stairs I was completely pooped. I took a picture of the one upstairs, but failed to remember the one downstairs.


This will be a lot more comfortable for the couple who has to sleep in here. A full is quite small compared to a double and just think...I remember when that was the bed most people had when I was a kid.
A blogger must remember to take photos.

Mother went with us this time. It was her 87th birthday while we were there, so we went to eat at Outback on that day. She ate well. Hip hip hooray. She didn't feel too well as the allergies were bugging her, but all in all she did well.


When we got back we did a little bit of yard work. Jeff took off for the whole week. Lindsay didn't so I had to keep the kids on some of the days. She worked half days so I got a wee bit of a break.

Tucker helped PaPa plant the orange tree that we have been talking about planting for two years. 


I told him he was 3 and the tree was as tall as he was. We would have to see if was as tall as him when he was 4. Either way, we will have to watch them both grow.

I thought you might like to see the next picture. The blur is Gus getting out some energy.


PaPa helped feed Palmer.


I told Jeff it was time to go ahead and set a date for retirement. I have set one for him of next June...not this coming one but the next. I think it is time. We will see what he says.

Mimi got her picture too.


Jeff, Paul Allen and Katie went fishing on Friday to a place called Basin Bayou to the north of the bay, hence the different trees.



The live oak tree leaf drop has begun here along the coast. It is fall in the spring with those trees.

March definitely has lived up to its mantra of being a windy month. My poor fern downstairs has been on its side more this month that it has been upright.


I am hoping it will go out like a lamb and bring on those gorgeous April and May days I love. All of my day lilies are above ground with tiny buds starting to appear. Spring is showing up here and I am ready. I spend as much time outside this time of year as I can. We had our first supper meal yesterday on the deck. Hoping to make that a daily occasion if the weather is cooperating. 

I have much outside work to do but it will get done. I am not going to rush it. I am spending my days doing chores, loving on the grandkids, reading, a little stitching, and just soaking up every good blessing in this crazy time. I think I am more aware than ever to give thanks to God for all my blessings. Life can change at anytime.

I am going to try and get back on here at least once a week. 
Sandy

24 comments:

  1. So glad you are keeping the blog going. We will just love watching all your grands grow up. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree that you need to keep blogging and sharing the everyday life. It's good for people to see that there are those who can live life unafraid because of their trust in god. "Doing chores, loving on the grandkids, reading, a little stitching and soaking up every good blessing in this crazy time." That's what we all need to be doing.

    Friday was warm here (nearly 60º) and we spent the night at our camp. Now today we are having snow flurries and tomorrow isn't predicted to get out of the 20s! Crazy weather. I had just been thinking we should put out our deck table and chairs. Probably not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reminded as I was being told my husband and daughter to continue of the C.S. Lewis quote I had shared about what we should be doing in times of trouble. So here I am going to try and do better and much as I can. Yes, I am sure you have to worry about cold weather for a good bit longer, but it doesn't make it easier to long for spring weather.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, that should have been "God" with a capital "G". One of my pet peeves, you'd think I would get it right!

      I was thinking of that C.S. Lewis quote as well.

      Delete
  3. Always so good to see a post from you Sandy! Tucker and Palmer are just precious!! I'm glad you got away even though you had an unexpected moving job. It's amazing how aches and pains appear that are unexpected. The bedroom looks very nice. I slept in a double bed most of my married life, a queen seemed so big when we finally got one. It's winter here again yet again, snow flurries today and a hail storm yesterday. Crazy weather and like you, I'm hoping for a beautiful April and May. Take care and I'm glad your family is encouraging you to continue blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all slept on full size beds. I remember when we got a queen and felt like it was the lap of luxury. Thank you Mary.
      It has been up and down here so I know it must be still cool to the north. When you are walking in the cool of fall I will be sweltering with heat, so I guess it is a trade off of sorts:)

      Delete
  4. Yes, we need to see you! Keep blogging and taking pics. And visiting our blogs.
    I was very glad to see a picture of your mom there. She's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy your posts so much, so I do hope you will keep blogging. You have a beautiful life with your children, hubby, grandkids and even with your lovely mother. You are blessed to be able to enjoy them all. I love that you planted an orange tree and that Tucker was a part of it. He will always remember it as the tree he helped plant as he watches it grow and hopefully produce fruit someday. I enjoyed hearing about your time with the kids and the "moving experience". I'm sure the fruit of your labors will be appreciated when you have guests! Have a blessed and wonderful week. Keep smiling, and the world smiles with you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, I am indeed blessed but not perfect. I think we all need a little inspiration and reminder of how generations before us even in America had it harder than we have ever even imagined.

      Delete
  6. Sandy, it sounds like you are keeping busy with Tucker and Palmer along with the Auburn house. I am ready for the wind to be over here. Enjoy your Monday and coming week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. March has been a windy one for sure. I don't think it has plans to go out like a lamb here. We are expecting storms on Wednesday and Thursday. Yukky.

      Delete
  7. Yes there are lots of things I am telling Marvin we are too old to do ourselves.lol After the age of 65, you do feel the aches and pains. Or at least I do!! Your Auburn house is looking so good. I know you enjoy your time there. Yard work is one thing we are going to have to get help with. The hot sun and the work is just too much. We also need to get some landscaping done this year if it ever warms up!! This has been a chilly March for Alabama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, on the yardwork. I am sure if you shop it you can find someone to do a good bit of it for a good price. We have a yard guy in Auburn; now mind you there is very little to do so it is very cheap. You need to lay the groundwork in the beds for easy work too. I learned that the hard way. I have not missed anything I pulled up to make life easier there and that is coming from a "like to work in the flowers" girl!

      Delete
  8. You are right about blogging. I am glad you are continuing on. Blogs are like sports events use to be, without the tangle of politics for a peaceful gathering.
    Great photos. The ones of you and Papa with the grands are precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments. No politics allowed here. We get enough of that everywhere else these days.

      Delete
  9. Sandy: Great to see a post, that adorable Tucker and palmer are so cute, I bet he had fun with papa planting the tree, it looks like Tucker has everything under control.
    Your mother is adorable.
    Krissy says hello to Gus.
    I love fishing, fresh fish is amazing, we always look to see where the frozen fish in the market comes from, unless its fresh caught salmon etc. we do nbot buy it, I am fearful of farm raised fish of any kind.

    Have a great week
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky in that we do have good seafood. I would be very picky about if it were farmed for sure. Thank you for your sweet comments.

      Delete
  10. First of all, Happy 87th Birthday to your dear mother! She looks wonderful and I'm so glad she ate well. I remember struggling with that so much with my mom.

    I'm with you on moving furniture--I'm just too old! Your new bedroom looks great, though and I'm sure the aches and pains you felt were worth it. That must be nice to have a little getaway house to visit now and then. I imagine you'll spend more time up there when your husband retires (which sounds like next year!). I hope he enjoys this last year of work and is fully ready for retirement when the time comes.

    Loved the photos of Tucker planting the tree and little Palmer. How quickly they are growing up--just adorable.

    I continue to post twice a month and it seems like a good amount for me. My life isn't particularly exciting (except when my grandson is around!)--ha ha! Glad you are continuing. It really is lovely to read back through our old posts and remember, isn't it?

    Have a good week, Sandy! I'll be joining you in FL tomorrow--sure hope I can deal with the heat in Naples (after all it is only 26 here this morning!). Take care now. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love looking back at the old posts. It is a journal of our lives of sorts. It helps to see things like that. I will plug along as they liked the journal of sorts. I will spit out as much as I can. My life would be very boring without the grandsons:) They are growing up so fast. Palmer is crawling and I am now on the go. He managed to dump Gus's water bowl before I could catch him this morning.

      Delete
  11. Your lack of blogging -- I've been AWOL in reading my fav blogger buddies due to out-of-town guests in my home and other life things. Trying to catch up today.

    Your mother has such a sweet face.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What terrific pictures of spring in Florida. In that picture of you and Palmer I'm admiring those big trees in the background. I love big old trees. :) You two look wonderful, too. ;^)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy