Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Life Lately

 


The fruits of my plantings....


Another set of day lilies have bloomed. These are called Alabama Jubilee. The red orange color is just beautiful. When I drive up they just make me smile.


Mother's Day didn't turn out as planned. The children had a cookout planned and were in complete charge of it. I told my children that to me Mother's Day is everyday. I am blessed beyond measure. 

What happened?

Sunday morning, Mother texted me at 6:27 AM to ask me if I was up. Of course I was, so I called to check on her. I haven't really said much here on her condition lately, because it is just so hard to explain her symptoms. She was not doing well and really had herself stirred up, so I decided rather than taking her to immediate care places where they just prescribe her another round of antibiotics that she can't take that I would just go to the ER. I quickly got dressed and got her there by about 7:15 which was in our favor for a weekend in ER. Nothing like a weekend in the ER..

They ran tests of course. The ER doctor when I first walked in and explained her symptoms and why I was there told me it was quite possible we wouldn't get any answers, but that they would get an IV started and run some tests on her. 

After a CT scan, he thought she might have had some mini strokes as late as 3-5 days ago. They then proceeded to do an MRI. The doctor we saw once they admitted her didn't think that was the case after the MRI. He thought it was normal aging showing on the test results. Remember my mother has epilepsy and has had seizures. 

She spent the night in the hospital and got an appetite stimulant and some electrolytes in her IV. She is off balance but she says it is not like the usual vertigo in that she doesn't feel dizzy but she describes it as off balance. 

Often Mom has trouble describing her symptoms. She has her right mind but she has never been able to describe what she feels is happening to her. Nothing new at all. 

She doesn't eat enough and while she says she drinks water all the time....I wonder???

AT the end of the hospital stay, nothing was really established as to what is wrong with her other than "old age." Jeff and I discussed that the only thing they had done differently was the IV and the appetite stimulant which worked because she ate hospital food which she would NEVER have done otherwise. 

I am following up with her doctor Monday morning and her neurologist in Pensacola the first week in July to let them see all these tests and weigh in their thoughts. 

I have signed her up for Home Health to come out once a week and check her vitals. Now, she is agreeable to that right now, but trust me when she starts feeling better she will not want this. I am holding her to this for at least 6 months. This will keep us out of immediate care and in closer contact with her doctor than just me trying to call to get in.

She is also going to have some home physical therapy for now to help with her balance. An occupational therapist is also coming to evaluate her although I don't think that will be needed. Mom's home is set up well for an older person so for now she is all good. I want to keep her at her home as long as possible because she will be happier that way. 

That is life lately here.

Tyler's mom came down from Atlanta this week to keep Palmer so that I can get all this set up and working well. That is good for her to get a few days with Palmer. She has her own elderly parents in Atlanta. Hers have passed on, but her husband's (Tyler's dad) are in their upper 90s so she is well aware of the trials of all this. 

For me the biggest issue is - it is just me. Now, I could not do it without Jeff, Lindsay, and Paul Allen. They are all very helpful.

I did get a hamburger later in the day for Mother's Day. Paul Allen went ahead and grilled them and I went over for one. I told Lindsay to go to the beach and enjoy her day. She did and sent the cutest video of Tucker watching the planes fly by on the beach. A grandson after his Mimi's heart. We love our planes.

Lindsay also took this cute little picture of those sweet boys one afternoon.



Palmer was walking behind the cart last week and of course climbing into it as well. He is such a climber. I fully expect him to be walking by the time I get him back on Friday.




He also loves Gus. He rolls all over him and tugs on his ears much like Tucker did with Lemony. Gus is great with him.


We met with the home health nurse yesterday and are meeting with the physical therapist today and something else on Thursday. I am using the time to get Mother set up for success while I don't have Palmer. I miss him terribly and so does she.

I did slip away just before lunch yesterday to put my feet in the healing waters of the Gulf of Mexico. I knew I needed it. I love my bayou, but the beach is my sanity place.

I just strolled for a good while and let my troubles wash away and felt like I was ready to tackle the rest of the week.



It was a beautiful day. There were lots of people behind me, but I just kept my focus on the Gulf and tuned them out.



Tucker only wants PaPa to take him to get his haircut. He told Tyler that he could take him when he got older but for now he wanted PaPa. You can imagine how that makes PaPa feel.


He is growing up so much. I have said it before, I am so blessed to have them close by and they bring me such great joy. 

I will try to have a more interesting post next week. I have a day trip planned for Saturday. I am praying it will still happen. I won't say what it is yet in case it doesn't. The kids of course will check on Mom, but I think her sister is coming to see her anyway.

Counting blessings,
Sandy


12 comments:

  1. Your mom is lucky to have you. But it's an endless management process, all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy, your beach pictures are so beautiful. Makes me want to go to the beach; not likely since it is over 3 1/2 hours away. Love the picture of Tucker and Palmer in their All-American Boys shirts! Praying for you as you deal with this latest round with your Mother's health issues. I am glad you have the support and help of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers for everyone's good health
    Your water photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are blessed to have your Mother…mine died at 60 and miss her every day.prayers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe she could live with you and you would not worry so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you and for your mother's situation. So fortunate that you were able to get her in to the ER right away and that they did so many tests, etc.. It's so difficult at this stage, and I know she wants to stay in her own home. My parents both did, and we were able to keep them there, but only with the help of home health people and family members pitching in. But the home health people (Granny Nannies) were expensive, and we had to do a reverse mortgage on Daddy's house to get the income to pay for them. That worked out okay, but then of course the house had to be sold within 90 days of Daddy's passing. It all came together okay in the end, but it's not the best idea for everyone. But both my parents were able to stay at home until they died, and that was their greatest desire, so I am very thankful God made it work out for them. I am glad you still had a good Mother's day, and that you have help this week with Palmer so you can get things taken care of. Also glad you had some sanity time at the beach. That's really crucial to keep some time for YOU to rest and relax and be refreshed. I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings Sandy: I am so happy you are a good daughter to your Mother, so many children just leave and expect someone else to take care of the elderly.
    She is Blessed to have you.
    So many beautiful photos of flowers and the boys, they are so sweet looking and their smiles are adorable.
    I have a sanity place it is Como Zoo, my place to go to when needing peace and quiet.
    I hope your mother continues to get better, my mother had balance issues it was wax in her ear on.
    one side.
    Have a beautiful week-end.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eldercare is such a demanding season. I'm glad you are so close to the Gulf and can soak up the peace that God gives you there.

    I love that Tucker only wants PaPa to take him for his haircut. I think he actually looks quite a bit like Jeff in that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Palmer and Gus -- SUCH A SWEET PICTURE!!! And your photos of the Gulf water reach out to me. I love them. Sorry things have been tough with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Sandy, your description of your mom and her hard to describe symptoms brought back vivid memories for me. I know my mom wasn't getting enough hydration in those last few months. She was alone as Covid had locked everything down and it really affected her health. She was actually having hallucinations due to dehydration. My heart goes out to you as caring for our aging parents is just so difficult. No one knows how hard it is until they've been through it themselves.

    Goodness, Tucker is getting to be SUCH a big boy. My grandson is the same--he wants my husband constantly when we visit. Oh, I'm a good second place fill-in, but he truly follows "Pompaw" around and tries to do whatever he is doing. So cute!

    Love that photo of your two sweet boys--I sure wish they could stay small a bit longer, don't you?

    Hope the second half of your May is a bit easier with less worries ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are responsible for so much that it really can give you a lot of stress. And it's hard to get older and have so many things go wrong like your Mother is experiencing. I hope this coming week is better and that you can get out on more of those relaxing walks. It sure helps!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You take such good care of your mother, Sandy. She is very blessed. I'm sorry she's dealing with different things, though, of course. The pictures of your grandboys are adorable. Palmer is almost walking?!? He's changing right in front of our eyes. :) Oh... and I wanted to say... your beach walking sounds wonderful. I can imagine how much tranquility it must bring to your hectic days.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy