Friday, February 17, 2023

A Slice of Life

 My surgery is behind me now. I have the official name of it. FESS- Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery. I have had a deviated septum for decades and had sinus issues that went along with it while teaching. The past few years I had really done well and kind of ignored all of the past issues, but last March they reared their ugly head. I have been sitting for a couple of days and really wonder if spending the first few months of '22 with the care of my brother-in-law and then the subsequent cleaning out of his house may have been the culprit for the start up of the ugliness. Remember he was a heavy smoker and staying even for 5 minutes in his house was hard. Either way, it is done and now my nose has been sculpted on the inside with a splint to be removed on Tuesday.  Sounds lovely, huh?! 

Actually, it has all gone very well and I feel like a better person already, so when they dig out all the packing on Tuesday I won't know how to act to breathe again.

I have had lots and lots of rest and have actually stitched so much that I was ready to take a break from it today. I have done so much on The Shepherd's Song that it may be finished very soon. One more sheep and half of another and then grass to stitch.

Before surgery, I was like a mad woman to make sure the house was spotless, the laundry and ironing all caught up so that I could indeed just take a break. Miles has been cared for by his other grandparents and Paul Allen even got to spend a day home with him. It is a long weekend so like I said I should be all rested up. 

I fluffed the kitchen up as well before the surgery. I took down some rooster plates from the top of the cabinets, put some things away on the counters, and shuffled things around. I moved some plants out around the table last month and really like the neater look in the kitchen. I tell you have been in that less is more look for some time now. 



Plates above gone and things shuffled around. 


You can see all the plants around the table are gone. I realized while Lindsay and family were with us that the plants were a nuisance to using the table and then I realized while they were pretty that nothing beats the view out.

I still have two plants there, but they are on low stands and not visible unless you walk around the table to look.


My Christmas cactus has bloomed a second time. It has never done that. This picture was taken last week and it is even fuller than this. The poinsettia is also still putting out new red leaves as well. All odd --- The weather is just as crazy. Cold one day, warm the next. It is supposed to be cold this weekend. As I am typing the temperature has already dropped a good bit from this morning. All my longing for spring just has to stay on hold.



I mentioned in the last post that I moved around the toys in the living room when I moved the large fern outside. (By the way, it is thriving outside) I moved one of the kitchen plants to flank the other side of the glass doors. 


The toys are neatly in the windows and more out of the way in the living room. Much neater all the way around for Mimi's Daycare.


Gus has taken good care of his mommy. He has been my blanket when I am in the recliner.


He has wondered why we have been on no walks though. I can't do that until Tuesday. It is bothering me as well, Gus.


I don't think I ever shared Miles's name all hung in his room. Looks cute there.


I have many projects I need to be working on while I am doing all this sitting, but some times just resting is what is needed. I don't get that many days like this, so sitting it is. Just glad it is over and went well.  No more infection!

I don't think I responded to a single comment last time. I will be better this time as I am feeling so much better.

Bring on spring,
Sandy




23 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are doing well & resting. that can be hard to accomplish sometimes as we are used to being busy. Your view is so lovely. I love plants but I think you have the best of both. A nice clean view and a few special plants. It was snow flurrying here earlier....kind of poo-pooed on my anxiousness to plant all the seeds. Have a fabulous restful weekend. ~Bridgette~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I am wanting spring much too much. I guess we all need to settle in for some more winter. Thanks for the kind comments. I do love my plants, but I am liking the openness too.

      Delete
  2. Great news! I am glad you are on thr mend. Rest is good. You have a lovely view there.

    Deviated septum repair is good to read about.
    I've had mine since grade school. Since I began staying home so much, (2005), and after the renovation, sinus problems have decreased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sinus issues had really gone away since I wasn't working either. That is why I think being around the cigarette smoke house and cleaning out may have aggravated it. Either way I am glad to have it repaired and will watch what I do from now on. I do not want an almost year long infection ever again. I am so grateful that it has gone smoothly and I should be on the other side of this very soon.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the slice of life update, Sandy!! So thankful to hear that the surgery is behind you now and that you are already feeling better. I do have to wonder if all the work that you did at your brother-in-law's place exacerbated the issue -- but as you said, it is taken care of now.

    So good to hear that you have gotten lots and lots of rest and accomplished so much stitching. Keep feeling better and enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am truly getting some much needed rest. I was so distressed that the surgery took so long to schedule, but the holiday weekend gave me lots of time to heal.

      Delete
  4. Sandy... so glad to hear you are doing much better. Miles is pretty lucky to have his own room at your lovely home! Hope you get lots of rest this weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie. The picture was of Miles's bedroom at his home, but he does have a bed here. I was just very late in getting his name stitched for him. Take care and let's hope it warms up across the south soon.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you're doing better, and wise enough to rest while you have the change. I should take your lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. I know it is hard though. I worked so hard in the house last weekend because I know me and I would not be able to relax if there was a mess. I am being a good girl though.

      Delete
  6. Wow, so glad that is over for you and you are now on the mend. But please don't overdo it...take your time getting back to "normal"! Your home is so lovely and everything looks very neat and clean and pretty. A beautiful place to "recuperate". Gus looks very sad...I do hope you can take him for a walk soon...but it's good he's been a good companion and comforter for you during your recuperation. Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is chilly in north Florida today, but Gus and I are going to be both chomping at the bit by Tuesday to get out and do some walking. I am truly doing some resting. I have not just sat and rested like this in ages. It is doing me good.

      Delete
  7. Sandy, glad your surgery went well and that you are on the mend. I am happy that you are resting with Gus as your comforter and companion. Hopefully, you and he will be able to walk on Tuesday. Thinking of you and continuing to pray for your body's healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am truly getting some much needed rest.

      Delete
  8. So glad you are doing well. And yes,,,,cleaning out a house will wreak havoc. I am finding that when I come home from working at Mother's I am blowing my nose for the rest of the day!! Add smoking and that is truly the perfect storm. Your house looks so pretty and the weather is supposed to be spring like here this week so I imagine it will be even nicer there. We just scheduled our week in September at Gulf Shores. That always lifts my spirits. I have been stitching a good bit....rotating through trying to make progress on everything. Headed to a stitch day in Huntsville on Monday. It will be my first time back in over a year. Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The stitches MILES piece looks real good. I'm glad (so glad!) your surgery went well and recovery is serving you well, too. Just rest. Seldom are we free to do just that. The view of your bayou is fascinating -- probably a constantly changing landscape with the coming and going of weather, boats, and daylight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard the term deviated septum for many years, but never bothered to look it up 'till now. Ooooh. That sounds like an ordeal. I'm glad to read you're feeling as well as you are after surgery. And look forward to hearing about breathing improvements once everything is all opened up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard some say it was worth it and some not so much. For me, it didn't seem like I had an option with the lingering infection that would not go away. It has gone very well and I am breathing so well.

      Delete
  11. I'm so happy to hear your surgery went well and you are on the mend. Sounds like one of those things you will be so glad you did later on down the road. Continue to rest up and I hope each day gets a little easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy, I am feeling so much better. I can breathe so well. One pillow these days. I am so glad I did it.

      Delete
  12. Sandy: I am happy your surgery went well.
    It is hard cleaning a home where someone smoked, Mikes step dad smoked it was awful when they moved out.
    Gus is a sweetheart.
    Mile bed is so sweet, love the name above the bed.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad that your surgery is behind you and went well, Sandy. My middle son had that same surgery and it really helped so much with his quality of life. Looks like you and I are on the same path--decluttering and making things simpler. I took down all the greenery that I had above my kitchen cabinets and love the nice, clean look. I think, as I age, that clutter makes me crazy. In fact, I know it does!

    Love little Miles' sampler on the wall--what a sweet room he has. Do you plan on having Mimi's Daycare open for his full first year (or even beyond)? What a blessing you are to those little boys and their moms and dads! Enjoy this last bit of February ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the older I get I seem to need less clutter. I will keep Miles until early June. His mommy is a schoolteacher so I will get the summer off. I plan to do some things I have been wanting to do such as take Mama on a couple of day trips to our home across the border into LA (Lower Alabama). I will then resume keeping him next school year. He will be 19 months by that time. It will be time for him to go to daycare after that summer. I think they benefit from the time with other kids once they reach a certain age and to be honest my energy levels can't keep up with one over 2 on a daily basis. Or course, there will be individual days in there when I need to keep them all for sickness and such. I am truly so blessed to spend the time with them and help their parents out too. 

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy