Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Stitching and Spring

 I finished The Shepherd's Song by Plum Street Samplers on the last day of February. It is so pretty. My photography skills do not do it justice at all. 


I love all the pinks and the little sheep. 

I did make a change near the end of stitching. 

The pattern called for over one stitching - "This is wrought by me. (and then your name.)" I will show you the pattern and then what I chose to do.



It is not that I didn't like the pattern, because I did. I think it makes it look like a sampler with the name and all, but as I started it I wasn't feeling it. It seemed so big.  

I chose to do another little baby sheep instead. I am pleased with the change.


Another close up.


I had a lot of stitching time in February with the surgery, so I finished this much sooner than expected. I can't wait to take it to the framer's later this week and add it to the sampler wall in the Auburn house. 

I will stitch my March Christmas ornament next and then choose something else from my starts to finish. 

Spring is here now. I am enjoying it immensely. I wrote this a couple of weeks ago. 

I and starting a new movement. New Year’s Day should begin on March 1st. 

Author, Gladys Taber, once wrote, “The calendar may insist on putting New Year’s in January, but for me April is the true beginning of the yearly cycle. Now everything is new, everything is young.” Mrs. Taber was on the right track, but she lived above the Mason Dixon Line and things down here in the Deep South start a little early on that budding path. 

I have always thought New Year’s should match what is happening in nature. Everything is budding here in March and starting to green and bloom, so it just seems appropriate that would be a great new beginning for the year. Shoot, New Year’s Day hasn’t been nearly as much fun as it once was, when it truly meant all the good bowl games were being played.

I could choose March 20th for New Year’s, but seeing as how I think spring begins on March 1st, I choose to  align with the meteorological calendar for spring and summer and the astrological clock for fall and winter. I like spring and summer and feel both come a little earlier here in my neck of the woods. However, fall doesn’t even arrive until the end of October so we can just agree with the equinox dates on those seasons. If I am made Queen, this is what we will do. I love getting a new calendar each year, so just imagine the fun it would be to start a new one in March.

Who wants to join me in this new way of thinking?


A little humor for you. I am sure not everyone agrees with me.

Happy Stitching and Gardening, 

Sandy

11 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to spring, however today I had to scrape ice off my car before I could get going, so I think it's not quite here. Your stitching is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy, your The Shepherd's Song is beautiful. I love your change. Looking forward to seeing it framed! Spring is showing some signs here with daffodils and forsythia blooming. Happy March!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Li ely stitching
    Thank yiu for the inspiration.
    I chose a small bell pull with robins for a crosstitch for my beginner project. I've done it in the past, but forget what I made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finishing this beauty, Sandy! Your changes are lovely and fit in perfectly. It's frustrating when our phones/cameras can't truly capture the beauty of the finish, isn't it?

    I've always thought of winter as December, January, February; spring as March, April, May; summer as June, July, August; and fall as September, October, November :) For me, as soon as the days get longer, true spring begins--which means next weekend! YIPPEE!!

    Hope you have a wonderful month of March ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy: This is a sweet and adorable design, I love that all the sheep are patterned with different designs on their coats.
    Congratulations on the finish.
    I am on board with you about the new Year, its still cold three feet in my front and back yard and more snow coming next week.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sandy,
    Congratulation on this wonderful finish. It looks great.
    Have a nice weekend. Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just seeing this post and all I can say is WOW....beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was having trouble commenting on so many blogs, I gave up and am now hoping everything works. I kept up with you here and there, but seemed silent due to the blog issue. I agree with you about the calendar being off. Especially where we live. I want to dress springy and summery but technically, the calendar says WINTER. It's a hard life being a Southern woman. - hope this goes through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Leslie Anne, I totally understand the commenting thing. I had an old WP blog, so I can't comment of several who have a WP blog. It won't let me get in.
      One who lives as far south as us knows it will is so hard to wait for certain spring summer clothes until Easter. Then again, we are kind of ready for a fall look in October but it is hard when it is still 90 during the day. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else though:)
      As for commenting, these days I do good to respond at all. I thought when I stopped teaching I would have more time. I do, but I have filled with lots of other good things and I am just slower too.

      Delete
  9. It does sort of seem like a new year should begin with a new season, but I'm fine with the way it is. I tend to think of March as spring, even though more than half of it is winter. And every year I think how the first half of December being fall is very odd. Your finished cross stitch is beautiful. I like your little lamb addition instead of the saying. The few substantial pictures I've finished (cross stitch, or crewel), I've added my initials - knowing full well that eventually no one will ever know who those letters represent.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy