Thursday, April 13, 2023

Stitching: Now and What's on the Radar

 I mentioned sometime ago, that I had changed course on what I wanted to stitch. I am not over samplers by any means, but I am going veer away from them for a while. When I return to them, the factors that will draw me in are: a Bible verse, patterns that lend themselves to being personalized (like A Thirsty Hart did) and size (no more gigantic ones). 

I have had a few new ideas on my radar, and I watched a video that just set those ideas in motion - well, somewhat.

After watching the video, I spent an afternoon in my little room and emptied some project bags and stored those projects away and did some thinking. I packed away Let Freedom Ring. I have lost all interest in it and just can't get it back. I literally may take part of what I have and cut and make a drum from it. I am going to sit on that idea for awhile. I have several sampler patterns that I am just storing for awhile. I will give myself time to ponder it all.

What projects are taking my time these days? For one, I am continuing with my one Christmas ornament per month. I am having fun using up the little pieces of linen and patterns. I think this is a worthy project to keep doing. This month's selection is one I have done before. Flamingle Jingle will be added to the basket for April's ornament when I get a moment to finish it.



I pulled out an old pattern and started stitching some sunflowers. The pattern is from July/August 1992 Cross Stitch and Country Crafts magazine.


I plan to stitch this into a pillow. I debated long and hard about doing the sampler, but I really love the sunflowers and think the pillow will be just the ticket. It calls for French knots in the center of the flowers. I loathe doing French knots, so I am going to do some beads instead, but will have to wait until I am finished with all the stitching since I am a hooper. 


On a side note  about stitching smalls, I have found I just don't like a lot of stuff out in the living room, especially. I have however, found that I love it all tucked around in my shelves in the sewing room. It doesn't feel like clutter in there, whereas it feels that way in the living room. I just love moving it all around in there and play around with them all the time. I do keep one small item in the living room and one in the kitchen, but most of my smalls are on display in the sewing room. This sunflower pillow will be the perfect size for several places such as my church pew and an antique rocker in the dining room among a couple of choices.

I will still throw in a small seasonal item to stitch with my plans. I don't need anymore fall things, but those always catch the eye.

Now, to the thing that has been on my mind for ages and the video that started it. 

I am finally going to put the head ideas on paper and make it happen. I watched Deb of Country Stitchers who is normally on with her friend Liz. I like both, but their videos are so so long. It takes me days to watch one as I usually only have about 20 minutes at a time to give to Floss Tube. I will say I don't watch FT all that much because of time, but also it makes you buy stuff:) I have learned to write down the things I like and wait and usually the urge to buy will pass. Actually, almost always! Deb stitches things I like and I love her home. If I lived in the country, I would love a log cabin like hers, but I will say I could never have as much stuff as she has. I love it in her house, but to actually live in that much would send me over the deep end. Remember, when country style was all the rage in the 80's. I learned a lot about myself then. I liked the look in magazines and in the summers when I was home from teaching I would try and replicate the looks, but come time to go back to school it would all have to go. Trips to Goodwill would be made. I was like that in the classroom as well. I can get to thinking I need what I see, but in reality it is not what I can live with. I just don't like a lot of what I call visual clutter. I know that amount is different for all. I like the look and Deb's home is just beautiful, but my reality is I like a little more streamlined look. Not a minimalist though.

On with the inspiration video...Deb shared her bedroom and the hallway outside it and I loved all the stitching. My wheels were turning.

The first thing is something she has shared before, and I have had it on my mind for a couple of years. I am going to make it happen. Here is an inspiration picture from the video.



I do not want to do a Christmas village, but a "my town" stitch. This has been in my head for ages. I know that it will be hard and take a long time, but in the next 2 months I am going to start this project. My vision involves stitching the buildings of downtown Fort Walton Beach. I want to include many of the store fronts that lined the downtown area in the 70s and 80s. I have been collecting pictures from them for a while. I have my graph paper ready to start planning it. 

I want to include the old school building that is now moved a block away and the Indian Temple Mound, the Tringas Theater, the jewelry store, the clothing stores, the newsstand, etc., so I am thinking there will be 2 to 3 different framed pieces when I am done way way way down the road.



I am looking forward to the project.

I think that between Christmas ornaments and the other items on my radar that I have pulled out that I have a stitching plan. There were 3 other things in that video that have inspired a project that is in the works over here. I sent Deb a message that she had inspired me. Never enough time for my favorite hobby. 

Then- there is finding time to putter in my flowers and read. I am never bored.

I didn't sleep last night because the wind was howling on the bayou last night. There was a tropical low sitting just off Pensacola so we were getting lots of wind all night. I hope this is not what we will deal with all summer. I think the news has really been covering all the rain the peninsula got from it, but it was quite windy here.


I will stop there. I have so many other things I am wanting to work on and one that I am actually trying out, so more to come later.

Happily stitching,

Sandy



15 comments:

  1. We had lots and lots of wind yesterday and the day before as well. We were supposed to get a big thunderstorm today, but only got one big thunder/lightning boom right over top of us, but very little rain, and thankfully no damage from the lightning that I know of. I appreciate all of your hard work on your wonderful stitcheries...I don't do that or any kind of stitching, so I have nothing to contribute except that I admire your ability to do that. Every piece I've seen of yours is beautiful!! Have a blessed rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I my gosh!!! Your projects are just perfection! Thanks for the updates and please keep us posted on "my town"!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the sunflower stitch. What a lovely pillow that will make. You are so creative, Sandy! I know your "My Town" will be fantastic. Can't wait to see it come to fruition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear. I do love to stitch. It is my evening stress relief while Hubby watches TV.

      Delete
  4. I love Deb's stitching as well. And that Christmas village she changed up is amazing. Like you, I do not like a lot of things all over the house. Most of my stitching is in my sunroom where I like to sit and stitch and watch tv. I am doing The Robins are Here by B Gervais and I really like it. I finished half of it in one day. I think a drum of Let Freedom Ring is a great idea. You know I gave up on Smoky Mountain Christmas and just framed the part I had done and I was happy with it. The bad thing about floss tube is it makes you think you want to stitch something but then you find out, you got caught up in the hoopla. Or at least that is how it is for me. I am learning to let that go.lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think sometimes we just have to give up when it is not bringing you joy. No one wants to stitch something like that. I really liked it, but it was so big on 28 count and I have no idea even where I would put it. I think if I can make a drum with something I already stitched on it then I will be just fine getting it behind me. I need to just make a start on my town, then the rest will come.I have been writing down titles and living with the list for a few days before I purchase. That usually curves the madness that can come.

      Delete
  5. Your Flamingo ornament is adorable, Sandy. I like the sunflower piece you started! While I like the looks of the entire sampler, like you I would have picked the sunflowers in the basket. I look forward to seeing your town vision come to life. I don't watch much Floss Tube (little bits here and there and usually when someone tells to go and watch something). I find most of them too long and since I have to read the captions, I can't stitch and listen/watch at the same time. Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hear the Flosstubes, but I generally stitch in the evenings so I can't turn the sound on with Hubby in the room watching TV and most of them are just so long that I can't commit to them like that. I have just a few that I watch. I have had the idea for the town in my head for a long time. I really hope to get something started soon. That is the key to just get started. Then I know it will come.

      Delete
  6. Hi Sandy: Your Flamingo is adorable, I may have to stitch the designs, you are one busy lady, I thought I was the only one who kept the back issues of magazines, its amazing how the earlier designs are now coming back into style, nice start on the sunflowers.
    I am really looking forward to seeing what you will do with the old school building and other photos in stitch.
    Deb does have a beautiful home but lots of dusting oh my.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of old Christmas stitching magazines that are loaded with good stuff that is just timeless. I really hope to get some drawings down of my town stitch soon. I think I just have to make a start. It will take me a long time to do, but I am ok with that. There is another one besides the flamingo I did. I can't remember what it is but both were adorable.And yes, the dusting. I dust weekly, but I don't have a lot of stuff to move around and it goes quickly. Ha.

      Delete
  7. Country decor: I loved it and embraced the look for many years -- until last fall, actually, when I sold, donated, and gave away the vast majority of my earthly goods. My current home has a more polished look (i.e. Ethan Allan) created by my husband's late wife. I'm okay with that; it was time for a change for several reasons.

    I have been in your home and LOVE how beautiful and homey you have made it, and that's before I rave about the beauty of the bayou outside your windows. Yes, that is a wonderful feature of your home.

    As for stitching your town, I think that's a great idea and will be such a treasure both to create and to enjoy by the generations after you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our styles and tastes can change with time anyway. I loved the country style and am still drawn to it. I think it has a comfortable feel to it, but I could see myself in a beach cottage too!

      Delete
  8. P.S. Just so you will know, while I no longer own so many of my things of the past, I most definitely kept the Flamingle ornament you gave to me a couple of years ago. THAT is a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's interesting how our tastes change over the years, Sandy. I, too, am enjoying a "less is more" approach in my decorating. I love having my Pottery Barn cubby to house the many smalls I've created for each season. It kind of contains them :) I have a couple of samplers on my walls in the living room and hallway, but that's all. I always admired you for stitching those giant pieces like Independence Hall as I knew I could never do that--I just get too restless when I spend such a long time on pieces. I, too, have saved the pretty sunflower basket chart for years and I'm so excited that you are stitching it--maybe it will inspire me, too!

    Love that flamingo and I've thought about stitching it for my sister who lives in Daytona Beach. Just not sure she would appreciate it...

    Anyway, as long as you're stitching what you love and what relaxes you, you're doing great! Have a wonderful week ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your Pottery Barn cubby. It was just made for all your smalls. I am kind of trying to create that look with my shelving in the sewing room.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy