Sunday, April 23, 2023

Yardwork, Neighborhood Scenes and More

 I am a nature watcher and one of the coolest things in nature occurs here in spring. It is the live oaks and their process of shedding leaves and bringing forth new ones. They do all of it in a span of about 3 weeks while never being completely bare. The process usually starts in March and is finished about halfway through April. You will notice more leaves on the ground than usual and when you look up you notice a lighter green color and over the course of 3 weeks they completely revamp themselves. I always find it completely fascinating while there are those who it upsets greatly. My neighbor is one of those people. I will show you some pictures and you can decide where you will fall on the spectrum. 

Below is a driveway picture if not blown off regularly for the 3 weeks. At any given point during that time period, you will see lots of brown leaves or just some, and then you will see towards the end of the process those little brown seedy things. I like to call them worms, but I think the correct word for them is catkins.


Those little brown worms might be the only part I complain about because I really love the live oaks. They are truly what makes my neck of the woods iconic. Back to those worms, they will stick to you like magnets and they love pets. Then they always lose their magnetism once you have arrived indoors and then proceed to be little grains of seeds all over the floor. This part usually only lasts about a week, but like clockwork at the point where there are the most of them possible to be on the ground it will rain and they will stain your driveway, so that if you are one of those people who must have a pristine white concrete driveway then you will find yourself very unhappy. I however, am not of those people who likes a pristine white concrete driveway. I like my home to look like we have been there a while.


This is what the cut-de-sac looked like yesterday morning with the "worms" and last of the leaves on the pavement.


 The leaves aren't completely filled in on the older ones. 

In some sad news, we did lose the lemon tree. It was heartbreaking to pull it up. 


Jeff had cut most of the top of it and then used the truck to pull it out. 

We have planted a new one. This variety should be much cold hardy than the Meyer Lemon we had.


This variety is called a Harvey and hopefully it will never see temperatures like the Christmas Deep Freeze we had. It is small but the fun begins of watching it grow.

I got my pine straw out in my sideyard and planted a couple of day lilies in said side yard as well as some angelonium and vincas in my garage wall pots. The picture of the garage wall is not staged - it was taken while I was working.



I love watching the plants fill in and get big and happy. Gardening is one of my favorite hobbies. There is so much work to do, but I enjoy it. 
Pressure washing is on the list up front and there is tons on the back to do, but Jeff and I have learned to do a manageable amount each weekend.

Downstairs, I painted a table.



It was white and is at least 39 years old. It looked terrible so I painted it to give it new life. The chairs are almost kaput, so I am going to add some of the ones they usually have on the front of the store at Lowes...the canvas ones with the darker metal frames.
Do you see all the leaves, straw and catkins that need sweeping up on the deck. There is a live oak on the back of the house as well. Lots of pressure washing needs to happen too. We will be getting a new seawall soon and I really can't even imagine how it is going to look because it will be higher than the old one.

Now, remember the house across the water that was being built. It has taken f-o-r-e-v-e-r. They finally put in grass on Friday, so I thought I would share the new look across the bayou. They are still working on the landscaping, but here is the progress. 

Regular view from my deck and then a ...


zoom view.


Next door to me outside the cul-de-sac are two cottages on prime real estate. I am glad it has been left like the old days for the 39 years either we or my in-laws have lived in our present home. 
The cottages have been updated and look so cute. I thought you might like a peek.

This one was a sage green and got a pop of blue. It looks great. 


The one closest to us was changed from a bright yellow to white and cute wooden shutters were added all the way around the cottage. They removed the front door and made an entrance on the side.



They put in green doors on the white one. It really is adorable.


Both cottages are owned by members of the same family. 

That is it for the neighborhood. 

A few pictures of Lindsay's house. I won't show all just a few more of the new colors. I had already shared the new colors in a previous post and a few of the rooms.

The living room is all set again.



Here is the dining room.



Here is the master bedroom with the darker bedroom wall color.


They are proud to be back at home and settled once again.

That is all I have for today. I have been stitching and reading, so I will share more of those hobbies another day.

Happy spring days,
Sandy















11 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I know all about the Live Oak trees. Our season for leafing/catkins, etc. is a bit earlier than yours as we are further south. So our trees are pretty much back to normal. We do have a huge amount of acorns on the ground still from this past winter. There are so many it is hard to clean them all up. Plus we have a dirt driveway, so again it is difficult to really keep them as clean and neat as I'd like. If the trees didn't provide so much lovely shade for the front of the house I would probably say cut them down because they are so very messy. They lose little branches every time the wind blows. But I am thankful for the shade. So that's that. I love all the little gardening projects you are doing. I am sorry about your lemon tree. Yes, fruit trees are very hard to keep in the northern part of the state. I hope your new lemon tree does better. I love the little 'cottages" in your neighborhood. They look pretty nice to me! And Lindsay's new paint colors all look so nice. I am sure they are happy to be settled back into home again. Everything looks so fresh and clean! Enjoy these lovely spring days while they last. Summer is encroaching upon us more every day. Take care and God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you fall on the side of the trees are a nuisance. I tend to like them even though it seems as though something is always falling from them. I love those little cottages. They didn't look bad, but their new paint colors are quite adorable.

      Delete
  2. Those live oaks are wonderful looking trees. At first I wondered why anyone would be "upset greatly" about nature taking its course, but your explanation makes me wonder if I'd be one of them. In front of our old house we had a magnolia tree and every spring it dropped its brown decaying blossoms and they stained the sidewalk. Sometimes I power washed them clean, but most of the time I didn't and the stains seemed to wear away by summer. Mostly, I disliked the tracking in the house of the mushy brown flowers. Regardless... I love the looks of the live oaks. They are majestic and look like they provide wonderful shade. The view of the neighborhood was fun. I loved seeing your front entrance with the second story. Is that a little room, or a super high ceiling in the entry way? It's an interesting architectural feature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You live in such a pretty place Sandy...loved seeing all the houses. What color is Lindsay's living room? I am considering some repainting of rooms here at Casa Grimm. I am watching some gardening you tube videos( Sydney Dorman and Linda Vater) trying to learn how to keep a few things going. I am thinking of expanding the patio out back and doing some container plantings. I have done a good bit of stitching this week ...recovering from cataract surgery and I am not supposed to do any heavy work or bending so I had an excuse. Unfortunately I can not see any big difference but may be when I get my new glasses I will be able to see some improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a fun post, Sandy! Sorry about your lemon tree, but hopefully the new variety will in fact be much more hardy and will thrive for you. I love how the cottages' owners have updated them. So pretty! Oh, and the new place across the water is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I did love the updates on the cottages. I love that our neighborhood has such a variety of homes. We don't live in the incorporated city limits so their is no zoning, but I actually like it that way.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely area you live in, Sandy! We have those 'wormy' things on our driveway They stick to Max's nose and it is funny to watch him shake them off. Your posy pots are looking good. Sorry about the lemon tree. Thanks for sharing pictures of the rooms at Lindsay's. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No Live Oaks here but we had seven of them in our other yard. They do create a mess and we were not really sad to say goodbye to the Live Oaks!! I love the paint colors at your daughter's house. Your plants and flowers are always beautiful. I enjoyed my visit here today!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandy, you described the life cycle of the Live Oak very well. We have experienced all of that except without your positive attitude. We paid big money to have our Live Oak removed a couple of weeks ago. Not only was it wearing my husband out (he likes a pristine clean driveway) but the tree was unwisely planted many years ago by the neighborhood builder atop the utility lines and very close to the above-ground boxes they require. (what were they thinking?!!!!)

    Sincere condolences, however, regarding the loss of your lemon tree.

    Your neighborhood is charming. I know since I’ve seen it in person and now with these pictures.

    Lindsay’s home is beautiful and so tasteful. May she have many, many happy times there!


    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, I hope you are all safe after the tornadoes that went through the Panhandle on Thursday, Sandy. That sounds so scary! It looks like the main area that they touched down was further inland so I hope all is well with you. I really can't imagine going through a tornado.

    Your view always relaxes me--I would love to live on a lake somewhere and your bayou looks delightful. Interesting about the Live Oaks, too. I'm sad to read about you lemon tree, but at the rate plants and trees grow in Florida, you'll have lemons again in no time. Good to see Lindsay's house is back together, too--no more flooding, hopefully! Everything looks wonderful.

    Enjoy your weekend, Sandy--hope your weather is better than ours! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greetings Sandy: Lovely garden photos, I love oak trees they are so mighty, the mess they leave is well worth the beauty they give when in full bloom., we had them at our last home, the new owners never took them down they are huge and full.
    I am so sorry about your lemon tree, please show photos of its growing with us.
    Lindsays home is lovely

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy