Thursday, July 20, 2023

Thursday Treasures: Things from Germany

Today's treasures' post is things I have saved from childhood. These are things that my parents bought while stationed in Germany in the early 1960's. We left for Germany in 1961, when I was just 9 months old. These things were in our home growing up and came to my house at different times along the way.

The first is beer glasses. My dad collected a glass from each little town we visited during our time there. The have been stored in a china cabinet their entire life. There are about 20 of them. I think they would actually be fun to drink out of, since they are a wonderful size and weight, but they have been just a display item. They have always been one of my favorite things even though I am not a beer drinker, but because I can just imagine him getting one at each stop and placing them in the cabinet.

Here is one section of three of the glasses displayed in the cabinet.


This glass was always my favorite. I have no idea why other than that it is maybe it is the most decorative.



Next up is my little desk. I got it for my second Christmas. It has some German lettering on the drawer. I have had this in every bedroom of mine until graduation from college. I used it as my teacher desk when I was young--- foretelling my future career. It is truly a treasure to me. When I moved into my first apartment after Auburn, I used in my living room to hold my TV. Since then, my own children have used it, and now my grandchildren. It has held up well with much use over the years.


Sorry for the poor quality of the photo. I just took a picture of a picture rather than pulling it out and scanning it in. Behind my head is a boxer stuffed animal. I still have it and a bunny both bought in Germany. They were probably bought at the Post Exchange though.

Just the other day Palmer was sitting at it and coloring. 




The beer stein is another purchase that I have held onto. It is in the china cabinet as well, but last October I had the genius idea of bringing out as part of my fall decor. It will be used again for that purpose. Oh and it plays music when you lift it up.

 


Another favorite treasure bought while in Germany is the little music box. It actually came from Switzerland. It remained on my dresser throughout my life. Only when we moved in our current home did I move it to the china cabinet. I always loved it as a child. Unfortunately, it has been wound too tight and doesn't play anymore. Pooh.



A few other purchases are...

The Bavarian German Shepherd. My dad would have chosen this since he and I shared a great love for dogs that Mama has never possessed. I will say my dogs have grown on her, but she would have never owned a dog if she had any say about it. 




This little vase that is on the dresser in Lindsay's old room. I love the amethyst color of it.


And this little vase.

I have always loved this vase. I think it is the color blocking on it. It is cracked at the top, but it is truly a unique piece. It has West Germany stamped on the bottom and I think there was quite of a bit of unique pottery and ceramic pieces done during the early 60's.


The ashtray.



The candle holder and cigarette holder. 


I have loved this candle holder my entire life. I have used it so many times. I remember walking around a dark home after (hurricanes) Erin and Opal hit in the same year in 1995. I actually didn't know the other piece was a cigarette holder until a few years ago, I was looking around trying to find out information on these pieces. I learned that is what it was, and it totally makes sense with the top. I don't think my parents knew that either. It has held marbles since Paul Allen was a little kid. 


The painting.


I always have loved oil paintings anyway, but this one just speaks to me with the colors. I am a no mountain girl, but I really love the grassy field here and as a kid I always wanted to make up a story to go with the painting. It hung in the formal living room until I started college. My folks moved to a different home in town and being older I took it and hung it in my bedroom. It made it to my home about 10 years ago.


Then there is the cuckoo clock. Again, I just took a photo of a photo and didn't edit. 

It hangs on the wall behind Dad.


How could you leave Germany without one? It hung in Mother's home for decades. It finally was taken down and never put back up after a move from house to another house. The chains and weights are off. It has been in a box now for 30 years. I I had it on my list to try and find someone to repair it this summer, but I can't find a local person. I have watched a few videos to see if I could at least put the chains and weights back on. I may at some point try it, but it won't be this summer. I have thought of passing it on to someone, but haven't yet been able to part with it. I know it I can't get it working and hang it up that it will drive Tucker me crazy with questions as to why it won't work. He would love it if I could get it working. For now, I have decided to stick it back in the closet for another day. I did look it up the other day and it is a Hubert Herr Black Forest Swiss Ski Chalet Style clock.

Here it is in the box for another year.



The coat... I am not sure if the coat is German, but I think Mama must have purchased it over there; maybe at the Post Exchange. She has it on in many pictures over there so she wore it during this time period. That is my reasoning for putting it in this post. It has both German and English writing on the label.



It is a lovely coat and I have thought about wearing it myself, but I haven't. Maybe one day I will style and wear it. It fits so well and could certainly be in style now, but you can tell it is old.

The final item I am sharing is a stereo that I parted with. This stereo was a big part of growing up and playing records on. I really hated to see it go, but when Mother decided she didn't want it anymore I think she thought I would take it. At the time, we lived in another house and there was simply no room for it. It now lives with a cousin. It makes a great side table even though knowing there is a radio and record player is pretty cool. I love thinking about the records that were played on it.




The photos are mostly poor quality. I wouldn't call it lazy on my part, but just no time to do them right. I have had this post on my mind for ages. If I keep waiting to get it all perfect, it will continue to be an idea rather than memories documented for my children.

There are a few more items like some crystal, but I think these were the most loved of the Germany treasures. I might even think of others later. I have the memories documented, so that will suffice for now.



20 comments:

  1. Beautiful things with beautiful memories wrapping around them to keep them safe through the years! This post is an important one to acknowledge these treasures and to keep their legacy alive. Thanks for sharing, Sandy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri, I loved finally putting the post together. Maybe one day I will get some more of these written.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful assortment of treasures you shared, Sandy! Thank you for sharing the stories and memories behind them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin. I have told myself I was going to do lots of these kinds of posts, but time just gets away from me. Anyway, it was fun for me to stroll down memory lane.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful memories. The desk passing through the years is amazing. You and your Dad have the same smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. thanks. I have been told we look alike which makes me happy.

      Delete
  4. It's so nice to have those items with special memories. I love the music box and that stylish coat! How nice to have the little desk too. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your day! Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. I think I am going to wear that coat this fall. I might as well. The desk is my favorite of the items. There have been so many memories with it and now the grandboys are getting to use it too.

      Delete
  5. Sandy: What a sweet post, I am so nostalgic when it comes to items from the past, I do take out many items and look and hold them for the joy of knowing we had them.
    Your collection of beautiful keepsakes are a joy to see and hear about, thank-you for sharing with us.
    I do hope you can find someone to repair the clock.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pulling my things out and enjoying them. I am not one to ever be a minimalist. I like my stuff! I do hope to try again next summer to find someone to fix the clock or at least take it apart myself and just put the chains back on. I almost talked myself into getting rid of it, but I am going to hold onto for now.

      Delete
  6. It's amazing that you still have so many treasures from your time in Germany, Sandy! I just adore that little desk--I can just picture you sitting at it and playing school when you were a little girl. I love the fact that you've documented these for your kids... will you be putting your blog into book form? Thanks for sharing your old photos and memories--really enjoyed reading today! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have printed my blog into a book. I remembered many years ago when you mentioned Blog2Print. I use them. I wait for a good sale each year and go for it. I think one day the kids will like the little memories all in one place.

      Delete
  7. Oh so many lovely treasures from your family time in Germany! Amazing you still have them. I love the stories behind them. I do have three beer steins (but not musical) that look similar to yours. They came from my Aunt and Uncle when they were stationed in Germany. They were gifts to my grandparents, and then my father got them from their home, and now I have them. Yes, your items are sweet treasures. Especially that little desk that your grandsons still enjoy using!! That's amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you can relate to my treasures. I think my favorite is definitely the desk. I love that the grandsons are now using it.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful treasures from Germany and your younger days. My maiden name is German. Thanks for sharing from your past. You were one cute little girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I did have some chubby cheeks for certain.

      Delete
  9. Those are treasures for sure....I love seeing Palmer sitting at your little desk!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he adorable?! He likes to color much more than Tucker ever did. It is still scribbles but he likes to watch what happens with the colors. He is much more of a crafty kid than his big brother.

      Delete
  10. Oh what a beautiful post, thanks for sharing. I live in Germany and know most of the items myself. We don't have any of them, but I've been able to see many of them on vacation. The glasses are real collector's items and such a cuckoo clock still hangs in many rooms.
    The desk is great. I'm always amazed at how long you hold on to such beautiful pieces and how many memories remain in them. And you can pass it on to the next generation.
    Thanks for this nice post.
    Martina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martina, I really would love to visit one day, but so far it just hasn't happened. I really love all the things I featured. The little desk is probably my favorite and I love that I have gotten to share it with the little ones.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy