Friday, September 11, 2026

Remembering 25 Years Later

I have been blogging since 2014 and have never shared anything on September 11th. I have read many, but just never stopped to add my day to it. I have decided on this 25th anniversary to do so. I think this will be something for the children and grandchildren one day.

*****

September 11, 2001

It was an ordinary school morning. Jeff was an assistant principal at the high school right down the road. Lindsay was a 6th grader and going to the middle school for the first year right across from her dad. Both schools were an early school time and for the first year in such a long time our family had different morning schedules. Jeff and Lindsay were out the door by 6:30ish. Paul Allen was in 4th grade which was the same grade I taught at the elementary school very close by our home too.  Ours was late starting school which meant we didn't have to rush out the door. I was able to slowly make lunches and eat a breakfast and ease out the door at leisure and arrive still early to school. Paul Allen may have been the kid who loved this schedule more than anyone. He could eat his breakfast slowly and watch a cartoon and not consider for even a moment brushing his teeth or putting on his shoes until the credits rolled on that cartoon.

The start time for school was 9:00 which is central time so that means I was standing in the kitchen by the TV probably washing dishes or making lunch when the first plane flew into the WTC at 7:46 our time. 

Just an ordinary day doing my ordinary things turned the country upside down. 

Just as most everyone I was sort of thinking it was an accident. Why would anyone fly into the building? I was thinking big city crazy stuff. Of course, it didn't take long to realize something awful had begun.

I was getting ready to walk out the door when the second plane hit at 8:03. I stood there a moment longer trying to make sense of it, but finally decided we needed to leave for school.

Paul Allen and I proceeded to the car and the radio was on Rick and Bubba's radio show. Some of you Southerners will know what I am talking about. Light hearted radio for the short drive to school each morning, but that morning even Rick and Bubba realized it was more and were covering it. I didn't move it from the station as they were trying to make sense of it too, but by the time we made it to the school there was no doubt it was not an accident and we were under attack.

The whole thing is a reminder of how much life has changed since then. No cell phones in everyone's hand. No calls had been made to me yet from Jeff. In fact, I wouldn't talk to him or Lindsay until after school because you would have had to call the school and have someone turn it over to your room which was just not common then.

I remember being terribly upset at the thoughts of what might be happening on the drive to the school. I knew Jeff was close enough to Lindsay to not be overly fretful. Paul Allen were very quiet as we listened to the radio, but that fits both of our personalities. We absorb before we voice. The other two would be talking and thinking aloud.

I immediately went to my room and turned on the TV. We did have those in our rooms by that year and I watched the news until we were told we couldn't have them on when the children came in. I totally understood that, but being me that was hard to cut me off from information.

A few minutes before the children would arrive I began to take in just what this meant for them. I had children in my room whose parents were in the service. Specifically a jet pilot and a helicopter pilot. 

I put on my teacher face and told Paul Allen all would be ok and I braced myself for the day.

Most of the children came in that morning quieter than usual although I had a wonderful class. A few things stick out from the day more than others.

Camille's birthday was that day. I had already put her present on her desk, but as I looked at her desk in the moments before the students walked in I felt a pang of sorrow for her to have her birthday tarnished by such awful news. News that you knew would be remembered even at that early moment. I love birthdays and always celebrate, so I made a point to give her a big hug and tell her Happy Birthday when she came in to the room. 

Kate, whose dad was a pilot came in teary eyed. She probably was the most affected by the news because her mother was so upset. I worked hard to keep her under my wing all day. 

I had no way of keeping up like we do now. I couldn't have the TV on understandably, but I had a radio/CD player behind my desk. All it would pick up was the public radio station. I had it on ever so slightly so that I could hear if any thing new was announced. 

Mostly the day was quiet and somewhat somber with me trying to carry on with school. I tried to be caring but keep the pace of school going.

I was glad for the day to be over and see all of my family in one spot at home. We have never been one to hide bad things or news from our children. That is probably due to my having lost my dad early in life. I am not a sugar coat anything. I will do my best to keep a positive spin but I don't believe in teaching that bad things don't happen.

We watched the news that evening. Lindsay of course being the child that read adults like a story book knew something was up at school and managed to figure out something awful had happened very early in the day. I think she hassled enough adults before they had the official ok to tell the students what was going on. I think Jeff's day was like mine, just navigating the day with students.

In the few days immediately following it, one thing sticks out to me ---the silence.

I have shared recently that we live in a military community and there are 7 military bases/posts in the region. Jets fly over all day and cargo planes at night. The silence of no planes in the air was so noticeable. As I type that sentence a jet flies over now. That is our life.

It changed us. Phones were no longer thought of us as an annoyance but a need. We must be able to talk to our families. That may be the biggest change and it brought a new life.

Sometimes it is hard to believe it was 25 years ago. 

There are just moments you will never forget. I watched a lot of news by that TV washing dishes or cooking. One other day I remember well was the Tulsa bombing. I was on spring break. I don't watch news like I used to so I am afraid I would hear about it second hand now and that might be ok.

Never take blessings for granted and be grateful for the men and women in uniform who do their best to keep us safe.


A lot of life takes place in the ordinary days. In the kitchen too.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy