Monday, November 9, 2015

30 Day Detox

I have started seeing a functional medicine doctor as of a month ago. My purpose is to find some relief for my two autoimmune diseases, hypothyroidism and rheumatoid arthritis. Losing weight will be a wonderful side effect.

I will be sharing the journey. We will either see me rejoicing or accepting some things. If you aren't interested, just skip over these posts. I will still post things about decorating, sewing, cooking, and walking a faith-filled life.

I started my 30 detox last Thursday, November 5. It is a program called Detox 360.

It is absolutely no fun, but I am motivated. 

Each week is different. Week 1 is going down like this..

Three meals and two snacks. 

Meals consist of greens, vegetables, except for nightshades which of course are the vegetables that I love, some fruits, chicken, turkey, and some nuts. Of course all must be organic.

Supplements in the form of pills.

Doesn't sound bad huh? Wrong!!!

I have to drink a shake at the first snack. Not horrible, but not good either. I guzzle it as quickly as possible, and can't even think about coupling it with food.

BUT, then comes the green drink for the afternoon snack. It is not fit for human consumption:)
It is awful. I guzzle it, but it leaves an aftertaste that makes me want to throw up. 
Seriously, they need to put that drink in a pill form.

I haven't really wanted to eat anything since the first day. 


Week 2 will be more of the shakes and a little less on the food list, such as no nuts at all.

Now, you might not think with my description above that I will not make it, but I will.

Here is why...
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in my early 20's, RA in my mid-thirties. 

I have taken Methotrexate, Plaquinil, Humira and Enbrel injections, and now I am currently on Xeljanz.

I can no longer take Methotrexate, because I have had exhibited some of the very negative things associated with that drug. To be quite honest, I think it has been the most helpful as far as inflammation.

You can't read the side effects or listen to the commercials or they will scare you to death.

So, YES,  I will make it through the detox.

Doc said I would feel really bad before I felt better. He was so right. I feel stinky!!! with a capital S.

The weight side of the story. I never gained a lot of weight at one time. I think it was about 1-2 pounds  a year for the last 20 years.  I weighed 93 when I got married.

Up until about three weeks ago, I weighed in at 150. That was the killer for me. I am 5'3'' and small boned. I never thought I would weigh 150. I really don't each much at all. I think many would be surprised at how little I do eat. My weakness though is pasta. I love Italian food. 

Two weeks before I started the detox, I tried to eat only the foods on his list of foods. I lost 2 pounds, so last week at the beginning, I weighed in at 148.

I am on Day 5!

I will share my two week weight when I see Doc again.


I am sharing so that I will be embarrassed if I cave in and give up!

Stay tuned,
Sandy

4 comments:

  1. Good for you, and highly interesting! I too developed RA in my 30's but so far, Humira has done wonders for me. I'm extremely interested in the food/disease connection so I'll be eager to see your progress.

    Hang in there, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Sandy!! I have had hypothyroidism for ten years. It runs in our family but so far Synthroid has helped me. I know that RA is so debilitating...my gread grandmother was wheelchair bound because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it! Pat yourself on the back for looking into healthy ways to help yourself, good for you! I always get a kick out of the doctor saying "your BMI is fine"...ha! They never take bone structure do they? 5'3" large bone structure looks totally different at 150 lbs than someone with a small bone structure. I will never understand their BMI considerations when bone structure makes such a difference.
    All your hard work and determination will pay off...you go girl!!!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy