Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Fall Small Finishes

I am popping in this Tuesday morning with my fall smalls finishes, but I will give you the wrap up of my week in two words. "Stressful waiting."

When you live along the Gulf Coast and there is a storm out there, you have a pit in your stomach. Most days it is the greatest place in the world to live. When a storm is lurking, not so much.


This is Friday. An absolute gorgeous day, but my daughter and I were trying hard not to think about what could be and just live in the moment of God's beautiful creation. Governor Scott had called off school for the whole state. It was pretty up our way in the panhandle, but some of our schools were opened for shelters for the peninsula residents. BTW, I think he did a great job.

It could not have been a prettier day.

Thankfully for us, Irma did take her turn north before getting into the Gulf. I am glad she weakened, because there is a good bit of damage for residents further south and east.

I didn't post yesterday, because it was just one of those days when you ponder all that is going on and then add 9/11 to it and words just seem little. 

I am so grateful I have my faith to walk me through times such as that.

Onto some happier fluffier things.

I did finish my smalls.



The sunflower turned out to be my favorite.

I thought about adding a bow, but it seemed just right with no embellishments.

My second favorite was the pumpkins.


My original thinking as I was stitching them was to make a basket of pillows, but when I got them all done I didn't like that idea at all.


They just don't all group together, yet, I still like the fabrics I chose for each one.

I have decided that I will just add them to my other fall decorations when I decorate. We will see where they pop up.

I am holding off on adding any fall until Monday of next week. It is just a bit too early and we are heading to Auburn for this weekend. 

Now, the acorns stumped me.


You can see where I added a bow in the upper left corner with the acorn. I still have to pull out the threads. I just didn't like it there. I may add it to the bottom along the fabric line and may even choose another ribbon color. I am going to try and decide that this afternoon. Maybe gray ribbon???

They are all done. I like them even if it was not what I planned. I think they will be an added surprise to some fall vignettes around the house.

I have some recipes to share this week. I have found an easy dessert and 2 great soup recipes.

I will leave you with some adorable puppy and dog pictures.

Gus is three months old now, and graduated to a bigger collar last night. He is growing so fast. 


His head and feet are large right now. He is happy as ever.

Lemony is great with him and occupies him with playing a good bit, but when she has had enough, she sneaks off to find a quiet place. 

That is her up by the front door. She can open these pocket doors herself and slipped off from him.

I let her have her privacy when she has had enough. Here she is this morning with her usual camera shy self.


I am off to volunteer at church, then grocery shop, then clean off all the debris from my decks and put everything back out. It did get breezy enough that I had to move all the furniture and plants. Grateful that it was not worse. Saying lots of prayers for others.

Sandy










12 comments:

  1. Beautiful finishes, Sandy! Everything turned out so nice! A gray ribbon might be just the thing on the acorn small. You'll know what's right when you see it. I think the pumpkin one is my favorite ... just love how you have finished that one.

    And the dogs ... always fun to see what they are up to! My grandparents had a dog who could open the shed door with her nose. (It was a lift the latch type door handle.) I think she could open other doors around the farm as well. You never knew where she was going to show up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot pick a favorite Sandy, they are all gorgeous and I look forward to seeing them in your fall decor. I decided to get my fall things out today as we will be gone next week. And it was a dreary day so I wanted to piddle around the house. I also have some ladies coming over Thursday evening and I wanted to put them in a fall mood. Kendall and Landon are here but they could have gone to school today but better safe than sorry. Irma has fizzled out thank goodness. Now if Jose will just go out in the ocean I will not be worried about our vacay next week. Looking forward to some new recipes. I cannot believe that Gus is 3 months old already..he is such a cutie and that Lemony...I love his sweet face as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arlene, I am itching to do some decorating, but just trying this week to stay on top of the usual stuff. I am so glad that storm didn't make it here. I am sure it is way worse down south Florida way than we even know yet.

      Delete
  3. Your finishes are all lovely but if I had to pick a favorite it would be the pumpkin. Love the charm and fabric with the leaves...great job on all of them. What a sweet face on Gus...he is spoiled sitting on the chair!! Glad to hear you stayed safe in the storm, I waiting to hear on RJ, I bet she lost power, I'll be worried till I hear from her...Mary@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet RJ is without power. I have been through 4 at our present location and always went without for 2 weeks. I think they are moving quicker these days though.

      Delete
  4. I like your finished fall finishes. My favorite remains the sunflowers followed by the pumpkins. What about making a "band" from the ribbon between the cotton fabric and the linen in gray or golden yellow or brown? Always enjoy the pictures of Gus and Lemony! Happy to hear you came through the storm okay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to check in with you and know that you are ok after the storm. We are still cleaning up...lots of trees down in our neighborhood but at least we kept our power on here. It was scary! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you guys are ok. Being without power is so hot in Florida. Hang in there.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad Irma left you alone, Sandy... Unfortunately, my in-laws in Naples weren't so lucky :( Lots of water damage to the house and both cars and there is still no power!

    Your finishes are so cute--I think the sunflower one is my favorite as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, Thanks you for all your sweet comments. I am so sad to hear about your in-laws. Those things are just so unpredictable. I hope they are able to get all the stuff taken care of quickly.

      Delete
  7. I'm so happy you were not affected by Irma, Sandy. Gainesville had quite abit of damage and we usually don't get hit in the middle of the state. But this time Irma got almost everyone. We did lose power and then our internet remained down for another even longer. I'm so glad to be bak on again. RJ

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy