Monday, June 18, 2018

Family Time

I have been so busy with Mom that I really didn't do justice to the rest of life that went on the past couple of weeks. June is a busy month without having had Mama fall and the rehab stay.

When I was still teaching I no sooner got out of work than I was baking cakes and having two birthdays to celebrate. I often felt like once I got the birthdays behind me then it was time to rest. You know when kids are little there are sleepovers and all that to go with birthdays, so it was really my "YES, now I can do summer moment" when I celebrated Paul Allen's birthday.

Mother was still in rehab when Jeff and Paul Allen's birthdays rolled around. My kids stepped up to the plate to make it all happen. For Jeff's birthday which comes first, Paul Allen cooked at his house. He did a Low Boil and Lindsay made my homemade ice cream recipe and homemade chocolate syrup that was WAY better than mine. I was quite proud of them. We checked Mother out of rehab that day as she was beginning to go stir crazy about that time.

Paul Allen had all kinds of activities set up in his backyard. Cornhole, volleyball, etc...AND IT RAINED CATS AND DOGS!!! We managed it all anyway and had a great family time. Like I said, I was so proud of my kids. I couldn't have pulled it off better myself. I took only one picture. I was a bit frazzled after 2 weeks of hospital and rehab visits.

I will pass on it since it wasn't all that good. Jeff didn't want presents...instead he asked for a fishing trip from Tyler. Also Jeff, Paul Allen, and Tyler played golf for one of the schools. The other gentlemen is one of our best friends.

Jeff, Tyler, Paul Allen, and friend Bob


Paul Allen and Tyler in the Gulf.

Both of these events took place the two days before the birthdays began. 

Two days later is Paul Allen's birthday. By that time, I had Mother at my house. Lindsay and Tyler didn't come as they had just come in and Tyler is working some late hours on the condo on 30A.

We had a fish dinner with Katie joining us. 

It was a crazy birthday year... no candles on banana pudding that he requested. My candle had burned out.
She had helped Jeff pick out the birthday present. We got Paul Allen two fishing kayaks. He and Katie are outdoorsy for sure. They love to do anything outdoors. I have no doubt they will use these a ton. According to Jeff, two people can't fish together on a kayak that seats two as their lines will get tangled. I just go along with most whatever he says.

Here they are trying them out after supper.





And of course, Gus had to jump in and help.


That rounded up the birthdays that I felt a bit guilty over. I didn't bake the normal cakes, but Lindsay came through on the ice cream and I make a mean banana pudding!

I do hope after I return from my mission trip in July to make a cake for both of them and make it up to them.

There is much more to share about family life, but I will stop with my recording of the birthdays.
57...I always say Jeff catches me for three months and my baby turned 26.

I will try and catch up on this past weekend soon. 

Sandy





12 comments:

  1. I am glad you raised children who stepped up to the bat for Mama when she was busy with Grandma. That says loads about you and them Sandy. I think we moms sometimes feel we are the only ones who can keep the ship afloat.:) Looks like everyone had great birthdays and there will be time for you to do a cake when things settle down.( Well you know what I mean.lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did make me feel good despite the fact that I was overwhelmed. They both surprised me with how well they coordinated and had it all covered. I walked in with Mama and that was it. I am definitely ready for things to settle. I think it will be a few more weeks before that happens. I am now back to running because she wore me down and I let her go home. Now I am going back and forth. I understand that she wants to be home, but whew!

      Delete
  2. The kayak pictures and the dog "helping" are awsome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both birthday celebrations look like they were successful. What a super job your kids did while you were dealing with your Mom! The smiles tell it all. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so grateful to them. I tend to think I have to do everything, so I learned I can farm out some duties:)

      Delete
  4. What a blessed birthday. I am a Registered Nurse . I love taking care of my elderly patients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a gift for sure Pamela. Glad you stopped in.

      Delete
  5. Our kids always pull thru when we least expect it, eh?!!!
    That's because you taught them right.....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually was a little surprised. I think I just assumed I had to be the one doing all the time. I may step back a little now and let them do more. They have listened and learned more than I thought:)

      Delete
  6. Those Spaniels love the water!

    You have a great family, so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. I count those blessings daily..keeps you going.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy