Saturday, July 25, 2020

Advent Stitching and the Past Week

I have been busy stitching Christmas in July Advent numbers. I finished them all tonight. This gives me lots of planning time to finish them up in some cute way.

I think the last time I shared I was done with number 15, so here are the last ones.



I just love them. I am envisioning a pocketed quilt that can hang on a door. I have ideas swirling, so we will see what comes out of all this. I think Lindsay likes it so that is what matters.

I also managed to put about 15 minutes of stitching in and finished up something in my fall stash. I can't believe I was so close to ole Tom Turkey and yet put him up last November. I suppose it comes down to when Christmas rolls around you are just done with Thanksgiving decor.


I have plenty of time to fully finish him as well.

That is what has been going on with needle and thread each evening.

Oh and Lindsay and I finally went together to take Tucker's name I stitched back in January to the framer's. I can't wait for it to get done. She picked out the most wonderful mat and frame. It is going to look absolutely amazing.

Now, for some family stuff.

Paul Allen and Katie went to Auburn last weekend to have a weekend away. They drove up to Cheaha State Park which is about an hour and half north of Auburn. Alabama goes from mountains to beach which makes it a lovely state. 

I never shared a picture of the new dog, Darcy, so here is Katie and Darcy.


Now, this picture came in from Paul Allen to our family group text messaging to show us how pretty the place is. I thought to myself....Paul Allen won't be posing for any pictures like this. He is none too crazy about heights.

Later I asked how Dansby was liking it and I quickly got a response that Dansby and Paul Allen were chickens. I thought to myself again..."Yep, she got that right!"



I think they enjoyed the hiking. They said it was quite hilly and would be a tough hike for the old folks. I will show them.

Tucker spends his last week with me this next week. I might just be a little teary eyed just typing that. I have been abundantly blessed to keep him the last year and a half. He has stolen his Grammies heart.


He starts daycare on August 3rd. Lindsay is worried as is every mother in the world. I have told her he is welcome back at any moment and I am on call. I think he is ready for some interaction with other children, but I am sure he will be a little scared too. 

That is about all I have time for tonight, so maybe after this next week I can pop in more and enjoy the blog more. Next week is going to be ALL TUCKER!

Sandy



23 comments:

  1. The little christmas motifs are very beautiful. It will be a nice Adventcalender for Tucker.
    Have a nice sunday. Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really looking forward to what you have planned for the Advent Calendar for Tucker. You whipped through this project! How exciting that you brought Tucker to the framer, it's always a thrill to see your work finally finished. Mr Tom is a cute stitch and doesn't it make you wonder how you put it aside with so little left to do? I think Paul Allen is very smart, just having the dog in her arms on the cliff makes me sick looking at it!!! You hear of so many people dying taking selfie photos because the got too close to the edge.
    Enjoy next week with Tucker to the fullest!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it was as high a drop-off as it looked, but you are so right. That was the first thing that came to mind was how dangerous followed by there was no way Paul Allen was even getting anywhere near an edge of anything high.
      I truly had like 20 x's to do on Tom and I put him up.
      I loved stitching the little numbers...I think having a purpose in mind helps you stay at a stitch and get it done. I am going to pretty much drop everything and just pay attention to Tucker next week. I am happy to see him grow up, but I know I am going to be in tears next Monday.

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your lil nugget this week and take lots of pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to be in full on Grammie mode and yes, take lots of pictures.

      Delete
  4. Well done on finishing up Tom Turkey and the Advent blocks, Sandy! The blocks are so incredible. It looks like Paul Allen and Katie had a good time hiking with Dansby and Darcy. Enjoy the coming week with Mr. Tucker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your sweet Tucker this week! I love your finishes and look forward to seeing TUCKER framed and ready to hang on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with Paul Allen on those heights!!! Love that stitching and I think a pocket quilt would be perfect to put little gifts in for every day of advent. We are almost recovered from our babysitting. Now to Georgia to take care of our other child.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your mom is doing better and that goes well. Mom is much better. She is still having some pain in one area and can certainly get down, but she is so much better.

      Delete
  7. The Christmas motifs are gorgeous, Sandy, and I especially love #17, the birdhouse. You have done an amazing job on all of them and I look forward to seeing how you finish them.

    I think Tucker will do fine ... as you said, he is probably ready for some interaction with other children. But I'm sure it's reassuring to Lindsay to know that you will happily take him back if the need arises. Hopefully it won't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am looking forward to finishing them into a hanging thingie. I hope to go slowly which is why I really wanted to get them done in July.
      I have been so blessed to have all this time with Tucker!!!

      Delete
  8. Those little Advent stitches are just adorable. I look forward to seeing how the whole project comes together. Enjoy all your time with Tucker this week! Hopefully, you'll have lots of pictures to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to take lots of pictures and do some serious playing!

      Delete
  9. Sandy: Tucker is so adorable, Dansby and Darcy are so sweet, I am not one who likes heights myself, I am on board with Paul Allen.
    Your Idea for a wall pocket hanging is a wonderful idea.
    Tom Turkey is such a cute design.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine. I enjoyed stitching those Advent numbers and should have plenty of time to finish it into something cute. The pups are adorable and so is Tucker...Thanks!

      Delete
  10. What a lovely post...your Advent calendar idea is wonderful. What a treasured keepsake that will be for your family. I loved the pictures on the hike...looks beautiful I never think of Alabama with mountains, but I guess it is so! Enjoy your week with Tucker. I know it will be kind of bittersweet. They grow up way too fast. But he'll still be nearby and it will always be a special treat to go to Grandma's house for him. Glad to hear your mother is doing better. You really are in that family gap situation with dear ones on each end needing your special brand of love. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am indeed in that gap of mother and grandchildren. Retirement didn't exactly turn out as I thought it would and I will be honest - I was bummed at first, but I am beyond that now. I am happy that I have mom even though it can be hard at times and overjoyed to have a grandson. When I stopped long enough to think and quit feeling sorry for myself I got was a much happier person. I am doing the Advent piece for my daughter. I hope it will be something they enjoy years later and much like that poem you talked about in your post.

      Delete
  11. What a good grandma you are, to let Tucker go without putting stress on his mom. It's great for her to have a plan B -- you-- for him if necessary.

    You're very productive in stitching, and we need to see what you finally do with the Advent calendar. I expect you'll show us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to be plan B and yes, I will share the finished product.

      Delete
  12. With things as they are these days, I can't even imagine what Christmas will be like. But your skillful advent stitching is a hopeful thought that the holiday may be wonderful in spite of everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously hoping we can find the hope of Christ in this Christmas. I think it will be different in many ways. Hopefully, it will be a year with the emphasis on Jesus. If the empty stores I have seen around here are an indication of what we will see this year maybe the shopping madness will be checked. I just hope it can bring some good in folks.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy