Monday, August 3, 2020

Hello August

The tagline for my blog is ...a blog about decorating, stitching, baking, gardening, family, and walking a faith filled life. Truthfully, I just changed stitching from sewing and baking from cooking as I do more of the former rather than the latter. I have not been a great blogger and for good reason. I have had the absolute treasure of keeping my grandson since January of 2019. It has been tough as I am not getting younger, but one of the greatest gifts.

I have treasured every single day and might have been tearful last night as I laid down and thought about how I wouldn't have him with me today. He is off to daycare and I have spent most of this day in prayer for him and my daughter. 



When he has settled into a new routine and I know more about his scheduled day I will go and get him at least for an afternoon or morning once a week just because I want to and Lindsay says I can.



With all that said, August will still be a bit busy for me because I am trading one type of caregiving for another with Mother. I do hope to find some balance in the next few weeks and get back to blogging and figure out all the kinks with the new blogger and the comments or lack of comments coming to email, etc., etc., etc.

For today, I thought I would talk about the faith journey and some quotes that passed by me and caused me to think. Then if the creeks don't rise I will share some new cross stitching and other items in my tagline on a more regular basis. 

I tuned in yesterday to not only my church's message, but the children's portion as well.  I didn't attend in person as cases are rising, Jeff's bother had a leaking refrigerator and Jeff had to go see about him and various other life interruptions happened. Those life interruptions are part of life.

The children's portion was on Esther and the story of how she saved her people. Many have heard and read the story of Esther and the verses from Esther Chapter 4...

13 Then Mordecai told them to reply to Esther, “Do not imagine that you in the king’s palace can escape any more than all the Jews.14 For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance will arise for the Jews from another place and you and your father’s house will perish. And who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this?

I suppose this verse and the kids' message was still on my mind when I came across a blogpost later in the day.  I have read Coffee Tea Books and Me for years and for some reason I have never entered it into my blogs on the sidebar. That is another thing I desperately need to update. I want to share just a small portion of the post, but it is definitely worth reading and you will find it here. It is entitled Homesick.

Just a small excerpt... 
Recently I have been thinking about how everything going on in the world has been affecting me and those I love.  Being an optimist, I have found it unsettling to be concerned about the future my children and grandchildren will inherit.  I have to remind myself that they were born for such a time as this... and so was I.

We can understand such Truths and still find ourselves unsettled.  Spooked not unlike the deer running from and to the safety of the forest.  We know God is at work in all things but how is this all going to unfold in the months and years before us?

She said what has been in my head so why try to recreate words.  I hope that I am indeed ready to be a shining example of someone who realizes I was born in 1960 for such a time as this

I also saw a wonderful message today that talked about great revivals coming out of great hardships. The message said that in 1966 the cover of Time magazine had the cover ---Is God dead? By the cover of 1971, it changed to The Jesus Revolution.

I could go on and on with more thoughts that I am going to use at our Zoom small group meeting this Wednesday, but I have some other thoughts floating around in the old noggin, so I don't want my post to become too long.

I saw this quote in a book as I was cleaning out some stuff the other day. 

"Nobody knows anything about America who doesn't not know its little towns." --- Dorothy Thompson.

Oh,  how I love that! It made me pause and think that if we really think about it.

 There is so much good still in the small towns of America. Sin has not left and will not leave. There will always be bad, but I want more of the good. I am choosing to concentrate on the good and pray for that revival!

Another quote came from Instagram. I can't give credit, but it had me thinking too.

"August is like the  Sunday of summer." or something like that. 

If August is like the  Sunday of summer then September in Florida or along my part of Florida would be the Sunday evening of summer. Summer doesn't leave us when September rolls around. It lingers. The light changes and you seen signs of autumn but not temperature wise.

I have the pleasure of enjoying August more in this season of life. I can embrace more summer and not be in a hurry for it to end. I sincerely hope that there will be some beach walks in the mornings of August for me. Saltwater and sand are soothing salve for my soul. There is no place that I feel His presence more than strolling along the shores of the Gulf of Mexico.

AND speaking of the Gulf of Mexico, was that not the most spectacular thing watching the Space X drop right near our home in Pensacola?!!!  It was surreal hearing Pensacola over and over as I watched the NASA TV portion although it was all over the local news here. IT took me back to my childhood. I was completely immersed and I also fully took in the Perseverance and Ingenuity launch last week. Yep, this space nerd is in heaven with all this space news. 

Our family is hoping Pensacola wins the bid for the new home of the Space Force. I mean I can't even imagine how cool that would be!!!??? I mean...Blue Angels and Space Force. Be still my heart!

Gardening News

I will close this very long post for a quick picture of some of flowers and a few notes about that.

All planted at different times...some big, some smaller, some lopsided.

This is what happens when you avoid shopping for flowers and try to make every thing last until forever. You get flowers that are quite pretty but all different sizes and not in the least bit uniform which kind of messes with this very symmetrical loving girl. I am embracing the idea of green and white is alright for summer, and from the road all you notice is the pretty.

Mother and I are headed up "to home"  (south Alabama) tomorrow to check on the cemetery and so forth. 
If you made it thus far I won't post tomorrow, but maybe Wednesday with some pretty stitching.



Until then,
Sandy


 “Now my soul is deeply troubled. Should I pray, ‘Father, save me from this hour’? But this is the very reason I came! ---John 12:27


14 comments:

  1. The flowers are beautiful! This post is full of some hefty thoughts to ponder!! Good stuff!! I am going back to read again! Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers are a new kind for me. They have proven to hold up to the heat and humidity pretty well. They are called vincas.

      Delete
  2. Tucker is beyond adorable!!! Love the little apple on his 1st day of daycare outfit. It's going to be an adjustment for you not to see that precious face everyday. I think your flowers are lovely. I unlike you, can't wait for the dog days of summer to be over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed him terribly. He did well on his first day which was a huge relief to all of us. I found that apple outfit online. I have ordered him one seasonally romper for each holiday. Trying to get the most out of the years he can wear them.

      Delete
  3. Tucker is such a cutie. Hard to believe the time has come for him to enter daycare! I love your pots of green and white, Sandy. Wishing you safe travels 'to home' with your Momma. Thank you for sharing the passages and quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so true to remember: we were born for this time. This is where we find out what we're made of. The pandemic isn't an interruption of life, but a part of it.

    Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The pandemic isn't an interruption of life, but a part of it." Liz, thank you for this. I will be carrying this thought forward.

      Delete
  5. Tucker looks so BIG!!! I know it is hard to let them go. Nancy posted pictures of Audrey getting on the school bus for kindergarten with her little back pack, lunch box and wearing a mask. I almost cried. Thank you for the reminder that God did put us here at this time for a REASON. I want to be a light to others in this time of so much darkness. Prayers for you as you exchange one care giving for another. I know that is very hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to be back with my blogging friends once again. I missed you all so much. Tucker is beyond adorable. Love his little outfit. He's a big boy now..going off to daycare. But, I know you will miss him so much. Best wishes taking care of your Mom. I know she will appreciate all you will be doing for her. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to see your name back here. I do hope you are doing better.

      Delete
  7. I loved this post. That quote from Esther is one that God has used in my life several times before. It makes you stop and realize that your life really has a purpose, and you are right where you are at this moment in time for a reason. Deep thoughts that make you stop and think, huh? I hope Tucker is enjoying his new "school", and that you are enjoying some different kind of time spent with your mother. You will not regret these days with her...this is her season to be cared for and it can be a very sweet time if you allow it to be. I spent probably more time with my father in his last years than my mother in her last days, but every moment spent with either of them was special. Then we had my mother in law with us most of the time for the last 4 or more years of her life, and it was challenging, but good, and I miss her now. We truly loved each other and I was actually closer to her than my own mother in many ways. Be sure to ask questions about loved ones from the past and her memories...they will mean a lot to you in the future. Write them down while you can. Your white and green flowers are pretty and clean and neat. Yes, August winds up summer, but September is still hot in Florida, but still the season shifts and we start feeling happy about fall arriving soon. But enjoy those walks on the beach while you can. In Florida, that is pretty much a year round blessing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband lost both of his parents while we were still young. He was born late in life to them, but still his mother was so young when she came down with Alzheimer's. Mother is still of sound mind for the most part. She has her moments:) She is doing much better but she definitely needs much more care. We are working on some genealogy stuff together. It triggered a memory that had never quite made sense to me but she came up with something that helped put the puzzle pieces together.

      Delete
  8. I'm chuckling over your excitement of Pensecola being considered home of Space Force. That would be pretty cool, indeed. Tucker is so cute in his first day of school picture. I hope you'll share how he's faring in preschool. And how you're faring as well. I pray these days, weeks, months... of giving your mom extra care and attention are a blessing to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, we are indeed hoping Pensacola wins. I live 40 miles east of P'cola and grew up 40 lies north of P'cola. It has been a part of my life since about 4 years old. I consider it much like a hometown.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy