Thursday, August 27, 2020

Thursday Treasures #3

 I was in my sewing room last week and looked around at the many things I consider treasures. The room is pretty much mine to do with as I want except for maybe paying bills (yuk). The room itself is a treasure. When I retired Jeff had shelves and cabinets built as a present to me.

Today I am sharing just two things in there. First is a globe. 



The globe is a treasure to me probably because of its age. As Lindsay so aptly put it when we discussed concert tickets stubs... "Mom, when you keep something that long, it becomes a relic." The globe was purchased with S&H green stamps way back around 1967. It has a divided Germany. I have a special love for books, maps, and learning kits. Don't even get me started on SRA kits. Love them! (I am sure someone out there was traumatized by them, but not me.

Along with my globe I started thinking about the wonderful learning kit that I had that came with the World Book Encyclopedias. I found this picture of one. Oh my goodness I loved that thing.


Such a nerdy girl I was.  Anyway that globe is just a relic that I love. You may notice it has the old fashioned raised letter label on it. That must have been one of the first things I made with the label maker and I was going for a full length because I typed out my full name which was rare. I go by Sandy and Sandra Renee was usually used together by Mother when I was in trouble which was rare.



You might have also noticed I am just a collector of feathers:)

As I was taking the photo of the globe, I took a picture of the next cubby up which houses my mother's antique roller skates. They have wooden wheels! She used them in her teens on the road and I used them in my teens at our local roller rink. I don't think it ever once occurred to me back then that others weren't not skating on wooden wheels. 



You might also notice two other things... a shoestring missing and a black and white striped knit cap. If I were to look I might find a picture at about age 3 with that cap on my head. I have it for ALMOST 60 years. Now, to that missing shoestring. 

One morning Paul Allen had to go back to get a shoestring. How or why he had lost a shoestring in his shoe I will never figure out or do I even want to know. All I can say is -that is classic Paul Allen. He made it back to the car and off we went. 

Days later, I was dusting and noticed a shoestring missing off the skates. Mind you those skates are from the late 1940s probably and a shoestring from that long ago is now gone. I knew immediately where it went. Immediately. I mentioned classic Paul Allen. I was aggravated then...not so much now. The skates have more a story than even originally. I will let him explain what happened to the shoestring to my grandchildren.


Well that is it for Thursday's Treasures. Two things I have held onto; some would say it is time for them to go, but I am grateful for some shelves to admire them on daily and the memories they evoke.


15 comments:

  1. I have an old globe that looks just like yours on my library table. And guess what? I LOVED SRA reading cards when I was in school! I could speed read and remember what I read and these were fun for me. My teacher in the 6th grade let me go until I had worked through them all in short order. She had high hopes for me and even asked me to come to her classroom during summer break to help her get organized. I love Mrs. Ewing! Thanks for the memories. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading about your featured treasures with the memories they hold, Sandy. I didn't mind the SRA cards although it was done in a piecemeal fashion in the school I attended. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading about and seeing your precious memories here. The skates are amazing!! An interesting story about the missing shoelace or should I type skatelace?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to have a globe similar to that...a Replogle World Globe. It's long gone, but I remember it well and wonder how different it would look against the world of today. Mine was probably around 1961 era. I never had my own skates except for the kind that clamped on the shoe and needed a key to tighten. Didn't wear those at the Roller Rink. My Mother in law had the kind like your mother's. She had them for many years, and was a very good skater. I don't know what happened to them either. I hope we will get to hear the story about the missing skate-lace! I also love to collect feathers. I have some special Barred Owl feathers that mean a lot to me. I honestly don't know about the SRA cards...I think they came after my early learning experience with reading. I am a little older than you. Thank you for sharing your memories with us. They have stirred up some childhood memories for me too! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) You have a good attitude about the shoestring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love maps and globes. We have a globe, not nearly as old as yours, upstairs on it's very own floor stand. Although I enjoy it very much, it's a problem knowing where to put it when the grands come to visit. I don't want them spinning it around lest it get broken.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great memories, Sandy! When you mentioned S&H Green Stamps and SRA, I immediately went into a nostalgia daydream of my own. My brother and I saved the S&H stamps and stuck them into the little booklets (Mom had no time to do it as she was running a business). We saved enough for Mom to order a new set of silverware. She was so thrilled to have *matching* silverware!

    I remember going through the SRA reading program in early elementary, books 1-23, with Sam, Ann, Ted, Nip the dog and Tab the cat. Each page had a vinyl cover with a sleeve on the left where a skinny piece of paperboard went. You’d fill in the blanks with a crayon, then check your answer by sliding down the paperboard to reveal the correct answer. Once you finished a page, you’d wipe off your crayon, turn the page and start over. It was completely self-guided learning, and I’m sure kids cheated, but I thought it was fun and was so proud when I finished book 23.

    I still have a hat and scarf my grandmother crocheted for my 10th birthday. She died when I was 15, so I treasure them because they were made by her hands. I feel like she’s hugging me when I wear them.

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha! Your SRA comment brought back lots of memories :) I still remember those colored sections as you advanced your way through to higher level reading materials throughout the year. So nice that you still have some of your old treasures--really love the globe labelled with your full name--too cute!

    Hope you enjoy this last bit of August, Sandy--I'm sure you're looking forward to some cooler days ahead in Florida ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that mom attitude to the son and the mysteriously missing shoestring! You have an interesting collection. I had to Google on sra cards, different generator, different continent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's wonderful that you have your "relics" on display. I never knew they made roller skates with wood!! Your globe is beautiful! Interesting to see how the names of countries have changed over the years too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a globe when I was a girl and a big old stamp collection. I used to pour over them and imagine the places I would go. Yours is fantastic.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. To story of the missing shoestring! Love it! Your treasures are precious and I thank you for sharing them. Have a beautiful and blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I was a little girl I was fascinated by the globe in our classroom and wondered about the people who lived in each country. And boys....moms despair of them and their antics, while chuckling behind their backs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I love things from the past Sandy. I have a globe too. My Mom had roller skates just like that..wish I had them today. The story of the missing shoestring was precious. Yes Paul Allen can explain that story!!! LOL! RJ

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm laughing at your son pulling the shoestring out of the skate and using it. lol I love your globe and wish I had kept an old one that was given to us years ago. As a homeschooling mom I felt the need for an updated one and I passed the vintage globe along. The new globe eventually got broken somehow, but we still used it until I threw it out after finishing up our schooling. I can't tell you how much I wish I had kept the vintage one now. Ah well... such as life. Yours means so much more because of your personal history with it.

    I loved to roller skate - until my mid-40's (when my kids were young) when I watched a mom friend take a fall and it occurred to me that breaking something while roller skating would be a really dumb thing to do at my age. Anyway... your skates bring back many memories for me, but I don't think I've ever seen skates with wooden wheels (unless I just wasn't paying attention). In my day (late 60's - 70's) we weren't able to bring "outside" skates into the skating rink. I remember getting a pair of skates once upon a time, but the memory of them is so faded I wonder if they were given to me when I my feet were still growing and I grew out of them. I'm sure I would have worn then to skate on the sidewalk or even the street - which would have rendered them unusable inside the skating rink. What I remember vividly, though, is using a variety of skates at the skating rinks I've frequented over many years - from clamp-on to the lace-up ones. I definitely preferred the lace-up ones. Boy, your Thursday Treasure post sure took me back! :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy