Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Stitchville

 I have been making more masks and slid a few x/s of cross stitch in there too.

I have been making masks again since I don't see the need for them disappearing anytime soon. A fresh batch seemed necessary. I have a ton cut out and try to make a few a day. Thankful for hoarding fabric. I really didn't think I would ever use it all and here we are with it being needed. Now, I will say that my selections has been whittled down to what my family might call..."Sandy fabric." No more cute leopard prints, just a lot of stuff I thought was cute but not quite sure what I planned to do with it.


 I also did some purging in my cross stitch pattern bin and sorted through and organized all the bits and pieces of leftover linen which really sent me on a wild hare trail of stitching this past week. 

That sorting and purging guided this week's stitching. First up I will tell you that I stopped on my acorns and that is what led to the clean up. I love the pattern, but on closer inspection I am not sure I love it as much as I thought. It was an impulse purchase of which I am doing so much better. 


The acorns are supposed to be whimsical, but I am not sure I like the acorn top color. It calls for a silk I didn't have so I tried to just wing it with stuff I had. It did not work. It is just too monotone. I looked back at the pattern picture and I am pretty sure there is no need to order that silk because it has too much dark in it. I stitched quite a few tops around to see if it would grow on me and it did not. 

The picture on the pattern and the real life colors are not matching up. It will take some time and effort to put it all together in a manner that works for me. So...it got set aside.

Oh and the other no go was that I did it on 40 count hoping it would be small enough for a project I had in mind. It was not. When I do go back to it down the road sometime I will do it on the called for 28 count because I think it will look better larger.

All that led to cleaning out patterns and I really got off track trying to use up a small piece of 40 count linen. I found a black cat the October 2016 issue of Just Cross Stitch magazine. It will be finished into a small pillow with that candy corn fabric. Not sure how just yet, but I know I will use that fabric.


Then I started thinking about school and how I was going to make a little sewing counter display for back to school in September and that led to another quick stitch and another impulse purchase which fortunately wasn't too expensive. I found a very old Just Cross Stitch magazine and did the stitch to place on the wood. 

The hornbook thingie came from an Etsy shop called Homestead Needleworker

Now there will be no more buying!!! That is it for me.

That is also it for me on fall stitching or at least I think. I have plenty of smalls and no where to put more, so I think I am just going to ADMIRE everyone else's fall stitching and move onto Christmas and continue with my large pieces.

I am back to work on my flowers. I don't think I shared the book that I am using for the flowers. It is an old state flower book. I plan to do four of them and group them together. They turn out to be about 4 inches or so on 28 count.

I have a few Prairie Schooler Santas that I want to stitch. We will see.

That is it for my stitching this week. I am back to being focused on the projects at hand and no more rabbit trails. 

I know everyone thinks this. ....but blogger is killing me. I can't add labels ...I can't get comments to work which I think is a Mac thing. I have done everything everyone suggested. I am about ready to throw in the towel. Good grief...something fun should not take that much time and be stressful. Are you with me? Maybe that is what Blogger wants.

Oh well, no more whining ---just stitching.

One more thing. Here are my chicken and dumplings from last week. Jeff likes his dumplings thicker. Mother likes hers thinner. I tend to agree, but he is working all day so he gets the nod.



That's it for me today.



22 comments:

  1. Well now I want some chicken and dumplings.lol We like the thinner dumplings as well. I am making fried chicken tonight for Marvin, his request. Oh I love that little cat and the fabric is adorable. I agree about the acorns...they do not look like the chart. I have had to change colors before just because the picture is different than the called for flosses. I remember that State Flower book. But then I am OLD!! I need to quit buying as well. I have PLENTY. I do have one 123 Stitch order that I plan to place at the end of the month. And I will be going to get my teeth cleaned in September so I will visit Patches and Stitches in Huntsville. So forget what I said, I know I do not have the will power.lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard not to see something new and not want it. I have to start doing better though as I have way more than I can possibly do and it gets to be clutter. Clutter is something I am trying very hard to avoid.

      Delete
  2. Now I want chicken and dumplings! I love them and way I get them! Cross stitching and sewing masks sounds like a great way to entertain yourself! I knit...not the best knitter, but love it! Keeps me busy when it's 100 out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wanted to knit, but I can not make those needles work together. I will pop in and check your blog out:)

      Delete
  3. Oh my, those dumplings look SO good!! I am not a stitcher so don't really understand the 'language' but I do recognize beauty and talent so enjoy seeing the projects you are working on!! Christmas... oh my, what will our Christmas season be like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think it is going to be a lot less giving presents. That might not be a bad thing. I think we had commercialized it all far too much. But yes, I think it will be very different.

      Delete
  4. Your chicken and dumplings look mighty fine, Sandy! What a filling meal! I think at one time I had that State Flower book. The little cat looks adorable. Sorry the acorn piece isn't working out the way you wanted it to. I really like the single acorn stitch featured along with the larger piece. Enjoy the rest of your week, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that single acorn too. It would be cute as a scissor fob. I like the acorns. I think if I give it some time something will come to me to do with it. The flower book is an old Leisure Arts book, so yes, I am sure you recognize it.

      Delete
  5. That’s a very cute kitty stitch, and the backing fabric is perfect. The school stitch is great, too! I love sorting and organizing stash, and yes, it’s hard not to get sucked in and start something new.

    Your chicken and dumplings look fantastic. Care to share your recipe?

    I gave up on making masks, recognizing that my sewing skills are not that great. I found a seller on Etsy whose masks I really like, HannahCanvasDesigns.

    New Blogger format is quite challenging. I don’t care for it. To add labels, I had to back clear out of the window where I was writing my post and go to the Blogger page where posts are in a list format, then click the label icon next to my current post to add (and create new) labels. I don’t like icons instead of words. They’re not intuitive for me, so I end up staring at the screen thinking, “What do they mean?”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip on labels. I like having my posts sorted for myself.
      Yes, I will share the recipe!
      I am so glad all those Etsy people are making them. That is great for them and such a service.

      Delete
  6. That candy corn fabric could not be more perfect for finishing off the black cat! I look forward to seeing your finish.

    I have a different state flowers book and have thought it would be nice to stitch the flower from each of the states where I've lived for a wall grouping. That would be 11 states + 1 Canadian province. I haven't started that yet ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers I am choosing is a little bit like your idea. I have lived in Alabama, Georgia, and Florida and Germany. The 4th flower is Mississippi for where Jeff's parents are from. I want to group them together. I think I will be able to self frame. Not sure. I will get them done and then maybe hit up Goodwill, etc.

      Delete
  7. Oh, those chicken and dumplings look heavenly! I want some right now!! As far as blogger goes,labeling is the biggest pain. I have to go ahead and publish the post and then do the labels from the post list, not from the actual post itself, if you know what I mean? where the list of posts is and there is a little label tab to click on and then you have to wait forever for them to go through. I am very frustrated with that. Most everything else is working for me now. Your stitching is so wonderful. I don't do that myself, but I love what others do. Thank you for sharing with us. Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I missed getting my treasure post out. This week has just gotten me. Now, I am edgy about the storms. Praying they fizzle out and disappoint the weather channel.

      Delete
  8. Hi Sandy: I think if you add the other colors of the bottom of the acorns that the darker color will look much better.
    I lobe the cat and pumpkin, how adorable.
    Cute Schools Days, I look forward to seeing how you finish it.
    I love dumplings yummy.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine. I will go back to the acorns, but they might not be finished by this fall. I have some ornaments for gifts that I need to do so I need to get back to some Christmas stitching. I did do the school days finish today. It turned out cute.

      Delete
  9. I love all your new cross stitch projects, Sandy. And that candy corn fabric looks perfect with that black cat and pumpkins. I just ordered some fabrics and floss from 123 Stitch - because my languishing projects aren't enough, I guess. The new Blogger. Ugh. I tried it a few weeks ago and was not impressed and promptly retreated back to the old Blogger. I think I'm going to write tomorrow's post using the new Blogger as it should be pretty short. Wish me well. We don't have much time before the choice is no longer ours...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not loving the new blogger. It just made it a bit more trouble. I had long loved this one because it was the easiest to use and FREE. I guess we can't complain too much since it is free. I have never had more difficulty with comments until this past year. I give up and will just go with it.
      It is very hard not buy new things. I guess the positive is that having a stash of fabrics came in handy when I needed to make masks and I also had plenty to stitch with.

      Delete
  10. Sandy, I wonder if back stitching the tops of the acorns in a bit darker floss would help? Love the hornbook "thingy" with your School days!! Oh, my husband loves dumplings, I have never been the kind wife like you and have made them for him. Yours do look good!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did backstitch the tops but not with a darker color. That might be a thought. The hornbook actually turned out cute. I did it yesterday so stay tuned. Thanks. The dumplings are easier than I ever really thought. I always bought the store bought ones but he does like thicker ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to laugh at your stitching twists and turns, Sandy--you sound just like me. I swear I have the attention span of a flea these days... I start on something, get distracted, end up on something totally not stitch related. Just jumping around. I do have the feeling it has to do with my mom being gone--I am very restless and hope things settle down. Anyway, the cute kitty and school themed finishes are very cute. Looking forward to seeing how you finish them off.

    Your chicken and dumplings look delicious. I've never tried making them, but my grandma always did. Hers looked very different, though--quite puffy and more biscuit-like. I wonder if it is a north/south difference? Anyway, I really should give them a try!

    Hope your week ahead is a wonderful one ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once could concentrate. I kept wondering if it was age related or Covid. I think it is Covid and the world news. Anyway I am much better at one stitch at a time, because often laying one down means it might not get picked back up. I also have been trying to read more. IT has helped that I did finally find a book that has sucked me in.
      I do think the dumpling size is a north/south thing. I like mine rolled really thin.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy