Wednesday, May 26, 2021

The Play Area

      I am throwing in a very quick tour of my downstairs area. As I said, in a previous post, Mimi's Daycare starts full time again this fall with the new baby. Tucker will go to his daycare in the fall. He will stay home while Lindsay is home with the baby. I am sure I will get him on days to give her a break. All that coupled with a few other things had me thinking I needed to do some preparing for the arrival of the new baby too. My  bedroom and living room were  starting to look like a toy store. Then I will be adding to the mix with baby items.

That led me to go downstairs and do a good cleaning and purging of some stuff I had taken down there and piled on a table rather than dealing with. Then that led me to look around downstairs at all the houseplants that I wasn't taking very good care of...and well, one thing led to another. After two long days down there and several more bits of time it is finally looking good again. 

The upstairs is looking less cluttered with toys and that made my mind feel less cluttered. Sometimes you just need to rearrange and freshen and give some thought to how to make things better.

My downstairs is a big area where Paul Allen and his gang played and made messes during those teenage days. His bedroom was also down there. When I retired I got some new a new bed and chest and a new couch down there. You can read about that here and here. Both are very long posts, but you can learn more about some of the cool history of things down there.

So here we go with new pictures... They are all mixed up because I don't have it in me today to load them one at a time and Blogger is frustrating me these days!!! Big time! 

One corner with tubs of toys and stuffed animals. One entire tub is Beanie babies which I never should have kept:)

This is looking back at the entry to downstairs. I still have a few things to take outside. My oar for my paddle board and the boat cleaning brush. 

This is what you see when you enter downstairs. I did fix up a TV we had with a Chromecast to watch from the phone.

Lots of room to run around and play.


Like I said, a few more things to find homes for, although the lifejackets and floats do stay out in here.

All the rolling things or baby things that will brought up as age appropriate time occurs. I actually could put some of them in a closet downstairs, but Tucker does play with them even though he doesn't sit in them. 



I moved all houseplants out from down there. I now have 7 empty pots and one more angel wing begonia that went outside on the bottom deck to stay permanently. One mother-in-law's tongue went upstairs to make the total of houseplants upstairs to the whopping number of 18. I have a problem...don't you think?!!! I know I do and believe it or not, I feel so much lighter having moved them out of there. I haven't missed one of them at all.

It is time to use this energy I am having at the moment to get real about how much I can take care of. I have one more post this week to share. I want to do a long awaited stitching post to close out May and then I am going to be absent for a couple of weeks. I have two birthdays to celebrate in June and Kristan, our niece will be in town for another night. I will have plenty to share after those two weeks off. All that to say I am probably putting two posts out pretty close together.

8 comments:

  1. I love your downstairs play area, Sandy. I would love to take my stitching and sit in that glider/rocker. Enjoy your Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "new" play area looks great. Good use of that amazing space! Gosh - I love that palm tree!! How fun! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful spaces you have in your home. And the views of the water - ahhhh. The downstairs play area is wonderful. I also enjoyed looking back at the older posts to see more. I love virtual home tours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you found a great solution to your play time dilemma!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I just took the grand tour by reading your other links to older posts about this downstairs area! What a wonderful room/area for your family, and esp. your son as a teenager! I can imagine your home was the coolest place to be for all the kids. And now Tucker will get to enjoy that beautiful space and grow up thinking his grandparents have the coolest house too! You may have to get that ping pong table back down there as he grows up, along with his younger brother! What a happy place! Thank you for sharing it with us!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your window nooks are perfect for play, reading, daydreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know from my visit last month that in person your home is every bit as beautiful in person as it is in these pictures, even with the recent rearrangements.

    Question, that blue fisherman in the boat on the wall above the couch -- is that a stencil? It's beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your grandsons are both so blessed to have Mimi taking care of them in those first early months--how special that you are able to do so, Sandy! Your play area looks great and it is nice and big so you have room to relax (a bit!) while watching over the little ones.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy