Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Some Random Thoughts

A Bunch of Random Thoughts in July....

My geraniums are still happy happy happy in July. 


It has been a weird summer for weather. Rain, rain, and more rain which has kept it somewhat cooler in the mornings. All my flowers and the grass are happy. 



I actually have petunias blooming. They came up in a pot that must have seeded from some old ones. I tried them one year and they were a no go past Memorial Day. The fact that they are thriving is more proof of the odd weather this summer. 

Is hot as blazes coming long into fall??? Hmmm...things to ponder.


I have felt a need to keep all my little flags in my outdoor pots up longer than my usual. I usually take them down after the home flight of the Blue Angels in Pensacola each summer. With the attack on Old Glory I have felt inclined to display mine longer. 

I have found some new country music which I am totally loving. I like them so much that I actually bought some of their songs on iTunes which I haven't done in a long time. I like 80s and 90s country music...think George Strait, Alan Jackson, Alabama, Martina McBride, etc. Well, Paul Allen put me on two guys named Cody Johnson and Randall King. They are my kind of country and can be found on YouTube here and here if you crave some good old country music.

Getting old is a blessing but wow the changes that come can just up and one day surprise you. For instance, I hated my thick hair and bushy eyebrows during my teens, BUT at the rate your hair thins it is a blessing that I had thicker hair and bushy eyebrows. I think thinning hair has something to do with the weird parting my hair has been doing as of late. I had my friend and hair stylist add some more layering the other day which I think helped poof it out some and maybe cover some of those parts that show up in odd places.

I am also getting lots of wrinkles on the neck. I always said you could tell how old ladies were by their hands and their neck. My neck is starting to give my age away.

I am glad to be aging though. That means I am still kicking to enjoy my family. 

I never really shared my toes with you, so if you are not into gross pictures you can stop here because this is the last thing I am sharing today. I will be back soon with a stitching post for Palmer's name. I have a letter and a half to go until a finish is done. 

*************

I have had to give up open toe shoes. I have toes that are separating. I am sure this is damage from Rheumatoid Arthritis. I had so much pain in my feet back in the day and when I eat poorly that is often a spot it will hit. In fact, if I do gluten my feet will swell. 

The splitting of my toes was gradual at first but has become an eyesore. They don't really hurt and when I need to wear something other than my tennis shoes, Sperrys, or Toms I buddy tape them and it works.

I did go to a doctor at Andrews Institute and they said they could do surgery but it would most likely do it again, so ugly it stays for now.

I had researched it tons ---I have seen it called the Churchill sign- think victory sign in your toes. HaHa. It could also have been brought on from running which believe it or not I did in my younger days. I can't do it anymore even though I would love to. I will have too much joint pain if I try it these days. 

So, close your eyes if you think it will gross you out, but I am sharing because maybe someone else out there has the same problem.


Getting old...now, I know why my grandma wore the shoes she did.

That is all for this random assortment of thoughts today.

Sandy




18 comments:

  1. Your flowers are just beautiful!! As for toes, I gave up open toed shoes this year because My feet were looking old, But I ordered several pairs of cute TOMS and I am enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Well, my toes are definitely either RA or a tear from all those years of running because Mama's 86 year old feet are simply beautiful. She gets a manicure and still can wear the cutest shoes with no aching feet. I have found I have to wear certain soles these days to feel good after a few hours.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have strange toes too, on my left foot, because of surgery I had back in 1989. My big toe joint was removed and the plastic that was used as a replacement has long since been absorbed (doctor's words) into my system and it gone now. This is making all of my other toes start pulling in toward my big toe. Lovely. I have to separate them with spacers to wear shoes so I try to live in my sandals. No worries. We are what and who we are. Right!? Your flowers look lovely, by the way!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy: Such beautiful floral photos, it has finally rained here two inch's so far today, very much needed.
    I have a bunion, it is ugly.
    I have heard not sure if its true, but someone tried using foam toe separators like they use when painting toenails, when they slept.
    I am in my 70's and happy to say I am still getting around I do have a few aches and pains but so worth being alive, when God takes me home I am willing to go no matter what age I am.

    Have a most beautiful day
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your flowers and flags and random thoughts. Your toes are very interesting. I am glad they don't hurt. I don't know that I've ever seen that happen before, but then again I don't go around looking at people's toes that often. I don't wear sandals often...I need support in my feet and mostly wear Skechers and socks. I even have a pair that I wear to church (w/o the socks) that look like a black leather flat. They are comfortable and I can stand in them a long time like in the choir. I am just thankful to have feet that get me where I'm going, and I am sure you feel the same way. So celebrate your feet!! They are unique, and they still take you wherever you need to go! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your geraniums would look patriotic without the flags. How pretty they are. I'm glad your feet don't hurt. My feet look perfectly fine, but I've struggled with metatarsal pain for several years now. The doc told me it was common for women who wear high heels. I've never in my life owned a pair of high heels. I'm such a practically heeled person it's just doesn't seem fair to now have painful feet. But I can paint my toenails and wear me some supportive sandals. lol I make the best of what I've got. I take encouragement from this thread and the comments. It's easy for a person to think they're the only one who struggles with these thing, but I've found that while the details may be different, we all struggle with things as we age. Thanks for sharing, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had surgery on one foot when they thought cancer. I refused on other. Mine are ok but crooked…my fingers also…just something we deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also live in sketchers and for mailbox and beach open crocs slide on…

    ReplyDelete
  9. I own tons of Toms….forgot to add that…sorry…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems we have all found the comfortable shoes. I remember thinking my grandma's shoes were so ugly but I now KNOW why she wore them. I am all about comfort these days.

      Delete
  10. Sandy, I enjoyed reading and seeing your random thoughts. Your flowers are still looking incredible for the month of July. Love the geraniums. I don't think your feet are ugly, Sandy. We all struggle with the assorted things we don't like about ourselves especially as we age. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad we are aging though:) I think it is important to show the young girls how to do that gracefully.

      Delete
  11. Lovely flowers! Although 50 is a distant memory for me, it's having RA that is making me feel old. I had to get rid of all my 'heels' and now find comfort in my flats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. RA is a stinker for sure. I have had my ups and downs a long the way. I was in really bad shape about 7 years ago. I saw a natural physician and changed my eating habits and that helped tremendously. I have had a bit of a flare lately and am having to be really strict on my list of things to not eat --not even a little bit. I gave up the heels about 7 years ago. I only wear flats too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The day this post showed up in my mailbox I was preoccupied with the stuff of life and I missed reading it. This evening (July 21) I'm taking care of clean-up and realized I had not yet read this. I'm sorry your toes and hair and the wrinkles have been an issue of late. You know, of course, that you are in good company. We don't all have the same things going on, but age does leave it's mark. I've got arthritis in one of my hands that has deformed a couple of fingers in a shockingly short amount of time. Thankfully, they don't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your toes look like a Vulcan salute from Star Trek. I have toes like that, too, only not so far apart. It is from my problem back. "Live long and prosper."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does indeed look like the Vulcan salute. My husband tells me that all the time. HaHa

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy