Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Stitching, Flowers and Family

 I have a small stitching finish to show. It is not my best finishing. Sometimes I think I have it all figured out and then you have some that just don't turn out as you envisioned. I think the last two flats have had a little to do with the linen I used. 


This used up the last of this linen so I guess the next finish will determine if it was the linen or my lack of patience. Either way, this one was done for Lindsay. It will be her May Flowers ornament. I really only have to do a back to school one for her and her collection for the months will be complete.

I have been stitching nightly on 3 of my 4 large stitches. I will share some progress in a couple of weeks.

I see that cold weather is holding on to places to the north of me. The pictures of snow in April this week after Easter were a shock to me. I can only imagine to those who live in those places. I know it is holding on because here in North Florida the mornings can still be cool for us. I have enjoyed it knowing what is coming. 

I usually get outside between 6:30 and 6:45 AM to check on flowers and water if needed. I am eagerly awaiting all the things. I know sometimes it must be boring to see my flower pictures but for me it is a journal of what blooms when and first and all that. 

The second daylily to bloom was the newer ones called Bayou Bride.


I realized in looking back at some daylily posts of the past that I once had a pink daylily just to the left of these. I had forgotten about those. They only bloomed one year and then they didn't come back the next year. That is rare. I think they were too close to the house and just didn't get light in the summer, but I am sure the cold got them as well. 

Always interesting to look back.

The geraniums are just so happy right now, but that has to do with the cooler temperatures we are experiencing. 


My lone rose gave me 2 pretty blooms.


Oh and the amaryllis that I put out after Christmas 2 years ago bloomed this year. It is so pretty too.



Jeff and I refreshed the flowerbeds with pine straw on Saturday. Things are looking good. Now, it is just sit back and watch it all come to life. 

I have had a fun thing to watch. I noticed the past two weeks that a pair of cardinals were hanging out in my front flower bed. I have had a bird bath there for a while but no takers. I was so excited when I realized they were hanging out near it, so I have been faithfully adding water to it. 

Then I noticed that the female was hanging out in the bush next to the garage. It has not been pruned yet and has taken to sprouting like crazy. The extra limbs were attracting them or so I thought. Then I noticed they would fly from the birth bath to the fence across the driveway and just watch. They deemed Gus no threat.

Well, I think I have it all figured it out. I am thinking there is a nest built in the top of the overgrown shrub and they are visiting because of that. SOOOO. the shrub has to stay shaggy for now. 


The cardinal was hanging out on the birdbath and the chairs in the garage today. I think there just may be some babies. I am keeping a watch by going to the front bedroom to look out the window LOTS.

The next picture was from inside today and you can see Mama Cardinal on the birdbath.


Oh the fun I am having checking on all this.

Easter was quieter than usual here since Lindsay and family spent it with Tyler's parents in Atlanta. 
We did eat on the deck after church with Paul Allen, Katie and Mama. We had the most nontraditional Easter meal ever. I worked both services Sunday morning (we went to church on Saturday evening). Jeff cooked jambalaya while I was working. The rest went to the second service on Sunday and he had it ready for us. I had told him to put a tablecloth on the outdoor table and put the bunny from the dining room on the table so it would be festive. He had done just as I asked and it was all most delicious. I had made the strawberry pretzel salad for dessert since it is a favorite of Paul Allen and Katie.

I think we may have a new tradition. It was so much easier. A one pot delicious meal was a yes for me.

Here is Paul Allen and Katie on Sunday.


And Tyler and Lindsay in Atlanta...


AND no pictures of Jeff and me. Just didn't get around to it, but we did enjoy the Easter meal on the deck.

Monday evening, Tyler, Lindsay and the boys joined us on the boat for a tribute to the Doolittle Raiders here in Fort Walton Beach. They trained for the Doolittle Raid that began on April 18, 1942. For the 80th anniversary, the Air Force did a Flyover of planes on the beach. The B25, the Raider plane led the way and probably flew by about 10 times. We went by boat to see this. 

Tucker said we were having a picnic. I ordered pizzas and Jeff picked them up on his way home. I packed us a quick supper and we dashed out in the bay across from the beach. The planes left Hurlburt Field and flew east along the coast. This was right up my alley and I am doing my best to pass my love for all things space and aviation to my grands.

My only picture from our outing.




The local college had a special tribute to the last Raider who recently passed away. The mascot for the college is the Raiders and it is an airman with an aviation jacket. The Raiders are a BIG DEAL here as honestly their presence in the early 1940s put Fort Walton Beach on a growth chart and on the map.

That is all the notable news from my world this week. 


11 comments:

  1. That's what I call an action packed post. Something for everyone! Your flowers are never boring, please keep posting them. And give my best to your mama, if she knows about your online friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter...sounds like the perfect day to me. Your ornament is beautiful. I have just started doing the Waxing Moon months of the year. I got May finished and I am working on June now. It does sound like the cardinals have a family...will be interesting to see if you catch a glimpse of the nest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful ornament you created for Lindsay! I bet there are cardinal babies in that shrub. Your geraniums look fabulous, Sandy. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandy, I just wanted to thank you for sharing your Easter and all of your flowers. Yes we are one of the folks that got snow! I did take a picture of snow on my neighbor's weeping cherry tree that is in full bloom. However, I wanted to thank you for sharing about the Dolittle Raiders, I live close to the US Airforce Museum in Dayton, OH and every so often one of our local news stations has shared interviews and news stories about the raid. All of the Raiders would meet once a year, and the last one just died not too long ago. It is nice to see a little bit of our wonderful history being kept alive. Thank you so much for sharing, and many blessings to you and yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pizza looks delicious! How fun to have dinner out on the water! You finished project for Lindsay to lovely! Your flowers are beautiful! Your Easter dinner sounds perfectly delicious! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved everything about this post. Your stitching, the flowers, the Cardinals, the Easter menu (yeah, those one-pot meals are such a rest from all the fuss of a big meal!!), the pizza picnic on the boat... Thanks for such a pleasant read.

    And Katie looks so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sandy: I love seeing the flowers from your gardens, the amaryllis is beautiful.
    Super sweet photos of the kids and grandchildren.
    It sounds like you had a beautiful Easter, a pizza party on a boat so much fun.
    We have many cardinals on the golf course they live in the pine trees.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy, I think your finished basket of flowers is just lovely!! I can't see why you are not thrilled with it. Yes, we had snowshowers that did not stick and hail that did here, Winter does not want to leave!! Beautiful family photos! Pizza on a boat looks like so much fun! How nice of you not to disturb the cardinals, I hope your rewarded with babies! Looking forward to seeing your progress on the heron.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely post, Sandy. I enjoyed seeing your flowers and your beautiful family and that cross stitch basket is super sweet.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely little finish, Sandy! I do think you may be right about the type of fabric itself making some finishes more difficult. I think that is wonderful that you'll have stitched Lindsey an ornament for each month! Nice that she loves and appreciates your work, too.

    I bet you are right about the cardinals nesting. We had the one and only cardinals nest that I've seen about 12 years ago. I wrote about it on my blog and got a photo of the baby cardinals. It's always so exciting when they make it all the way and the eggs aren't eaten by an animal or another bird.

    Sounds like a very nice easy Easter dinner. We kept things very simple here, too, as it was just four of us. Love the family photos--Katie is blooming :)

    Hope you enjoy this last bit of April--happy May to you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your flowers are lovely! I always love to look at the new blooms in the springtime. I show off what few I have, and I love to see what others have as well. They don't last long, so we need to enjoy them while we can! Your Easter dinner sounds wonderful! We did steaks on the grill, baked potatoes and salad, which was pretty simple too. Makes more sense to do something more simplified when we have go to church first and then come home and try to put on a special meal. We've gotten less traditional in our Christmas dinner too for the same reason...just too much going on to have to spend so much time cooking! Your pictures of the kids (big and little kids) are all so sweet and special! Your family is growing and it's so wonderful! You are blessed! Thank you for sharing all this with us!!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy