Sunday, December 11, 2022

A Little Stitching and Christmas

 I have been trying to stitch on the latest grandson's name. For some reason, the Devil has been in the details, and that has slowed me down. My creative juices on this project were lacking and I procrastinated starting it for way too long. Then to go right along with the normal as of late, I got it started and Little Palmer took a pen to it. Yes, you read that right. I tried to get it out, but I had to start over. That turned out to be a good thing, because I think I had a better vision of what I wanted for Miles's letters.

My goal is to finish stitching it by Christmas Eve. I will have to frame it after the first of the year, but I do hope I can finish stitching it.

The M is the only completed letter.


I am working smarter on this third one of these name stitches. I have thrown away each time my drawings which would have been so helpful for the next one. I am keeping them this time.



I did make my Auburn nutcracker into an ornament finally. I think I should probably not wait until December to work on any finishing projects because it is not my best, but it looks very cute on the Auburn 
Christmas tree.



Speaking of the Auburn tree. Jeff took a sweet picture of Tucker and Palmer one afternoon by it. They were looking at all the Aubie's (Auburn's mascot) on the tree.

\






One of the perks of living where I do is fresh citrus in December. These showed up on my door Saturday morning. I didn't check yet, but the couple down the street have 2 orange trees out front and they were loaded. This was a banner year for citrus in north Florida. I had done the same with lemons to all the neighbors.


They are as good as they look.

I am not going to do a whole post of Christmas decorations around the house, because I think I got it just right last year. I changed up some things and scaled down some things last year and felt like it was a Goldilocks year of decorations. I kept it the same this year. I will only share the tree and one change.
Here is last year's tour if you want to see it.

The tree is real but is so perfect it looks like a faux one. It is perfectly fresh this year and to that I say...Yippie.


In the last post, I said I purchased something new this year. It is not a Christmas decoration, but I did keep it out on the front foyer table because I love it so. Normally, I just have a bowl or ornaments where this new white camellia is sitting.




Some have mistaken it for a magnolia but if you are right up on it, you can see it is a camellia. It looks exactly like the real one outside in the front side yard.

This is an Andrea Sedak piece. I have a few of them around the house and love all of them. They were sold back in the 80s at a local store or Deep South chain called Gayfers (greatest store of all time).

When I put it there, I just thought it is like Christmas here because the white camellia blooms this time of year.

The normal stuff is happening around here, but I have slowed my pace to soak up the good and not the crazy of Christmas time. I saw this on Instagram and thought it fit many of my years when I taught.


I am a little older and do my best to keep the focus on what I can do and not try to do it all. Just focus on the right things.

Merry Christmas,
Sandy




14 comments:

  1. I like moving to simplicity for festivals, because I get in a blur with decorating and music and presents and now it's very quiet, very easy and peaceful and enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learned I like a little more simplicity too. I think there can be a bit too many activities sometimes that we just go and go and miss the real important things.

      Delete
  2. Lovely post. The Miles stitching is going to be so sweet. And fresh oranges? I wish I could find some around here. I have to travel further south to find any active orange groves anymore. I could use a good sweet juicy navel orange right now! I love that you have a real tree! I miss going and cutting one and bringing it home fresh...the fresh piney scent...yeah I just might have to go back to that again. Wish we could cut them here. The white camellia is beautiful. I miss our camellia bushes that I had at our last house. I don't have any here, and I should plant some, but I just haven't had much interest in gardening here for some reason. Lazy mostly. LOL. Yes, I am trying to just enjoy the simplicity of the Advent season, but I know I have much to do yet...cards, gifts, wrapping...I just wish we could skip that part...but no one listens to me. Oh well...'tis the season to be jolly...fa la la la la la la la la. Merry Christmas my friend!! Enjoy those sweet babies most of all. They grow up too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful photo of the white tree and kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well sometimes starting over on a piece does bring clarity. I have done this myself and no one marked on mine.lol I am trying to be more thoughtful in the things I stitch and I am resolved to stitch from stash next year. Of course if Blackbird or Brenda Gervais release something I just cant do without that resolve might just go right out the window.lol Love the pictures of the boys with the tree. This is the time to enjoy the special moments for sure. I did not even take out my phone yesterday. I relied on the photos of others. We need more being invested in the moment for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful pictures! I just had to comment because I sure do miss Gayfers. What a fantastic store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know anyone who had the opportunity to shop at Gayfer's who doesn't have stories. I honestly think I could write a book about the store. I am 62 and it was just a part of my life.

      Delete
  6. Miles's stitched name is going to be terrific, Sandy. I admire your creating designs. Graph paper! I need to give this a shot someday. Your tree is gorgeous. Perfectly shaped. Thank you for sharing the Instagram post. That is a very good message to hang onto during a season when we're enticed to do so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tree is gorgeous, Sandy. The picture of the boys in front of the Auburn tree is precious. I think that Instagram post you shared is wonderful. Time continues to fly by and I am trying hard to be more mindful of savoring moments. Have a peaceful week, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas Sandy: Your trees are beautiful, the boys are adorable and what a sweet photo.
    I think your Nutcracker turned out wonderful.
    I am scaling down my decorating also this year.
    I have had to scrap a few designs myself.
    I hope you have a lovely week.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your home looks so pretty and the tree is gorgeous. I bought some little cross stitch Christmas pillows at a craft fair one time and this year I put them in my old wooden bowl. I thought of all the pretty things you've made. Hand made decorations are the prettiest! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Sandy! First of all, thank you for the snail mail Christmas card! I am waaay behind in both my blog reading and commenting due to some expected (and unexpected) business matters needing my attention. So while some are slowing down during this Christmas season, I can't say I've done that, but many things I would normally do in the way of decorating have not (and won't) get done this year. Also, as you know, I'm experiencing my first Christmas with a new husband, which is an interesting adventure all its own. All is well. Love all your stitching. And the white Camelia is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The photo of the boyz looking at the tree would make a lovely holiday card. Your rral tree is a treat to see. It looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I just groaned when I read about Palmer taking a pen to your stitching, Sandy! So glad it turned out to be a blessing in disguise (and so glad Miles has a short name--ha ha!). His name is looking so charming and that's great that you're keeping the little designs for possible future grandchildren.

    Your tree is so pretty! We haven't gotten a real tree in years due to my middle son's allergies, but I do love them. The shot of the boys gazing at the tree is so sweet. I know your Christmas will be filled with wonder this year--enjoy every moment ♥

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy