Thursday, May 18, 2023

Choose Steadiness

 


Doesn't this picture look so peaceful? It was taken this past Friday morning early. I am not an early bird, but if it is the o-n-l-y way to get a moment, I can be persuaded to get on up.

Last week had been a non restful week after keeping the boys for the long weekend.  I had just poured myself a cup of coffee and had hoped to have a little moment to myself.

After the weekend mentioned in my last post, Lindsay's boys had gotten sick and run a fever which means, no daycare. She stayed home with them through that, but Palmer had to come here for one additional day of catching up on his rest. Mother was right on course for a downfall in her health. Why - you ask?

Well, if I have a regularly scheduled doctor's appointment for her, you can bank on her starting to decline in some way 2 weeks before said appointment. "Said appointment" is for tomorrow. She began to complain that her hip was hurting about 2 weeks ago. She was not too happy any day last week and called early each day to let me know how bad the night before had been.

Last Thursday morning, she called at 5:30 AM saying she couldn't wait to see a doctor, so I got her to the immediate care facility where they determined it was her sciatic nerve. Prescriptions were called in that I fretted over and did cut in half. I won't say much more about this situation other than when Mama gets down, she gets down. I am ever increasing the amount of time spent on her which is what we must do as we age. It is what it is. 

The picture above was interrupted before I got my first sip of coffee. I had just taken it thinking ---"Oh, this will make good blog talk." HAHA 

The above moment was interrupted by me having to go right over to Mama's house.

NUFF said.. we will move on from this topic.

We will get to the choice of the title of this post. Choose Steadiness is the chapter title in a book we are using for our church small group.  Sometimes at our age it isn't always easy to find something that interests us all, but occasionally we find a hit book. Uncommon Influence by Tony and Lauren Dungy has been that. My husband is the master of leading book discussions and drawing all of our conversations back to our Lord. He is quite gifted. Anyway, this week's chapter was called "Pick Your Battles: Choose Steadiness." I had finished reading and had been convicted about several things in it. I found myself mulling it over all day yesterday. One small heading in the chapter was called "Receive Reality as It Arrives.

Let me just say, I am about over receiving reality as it arrives --------peacefully anyway!

I just want to send some of life's interruptions straight back out the door with a good swift kick in the seat of reality's pants.

To say that 2023 has been anything but chaotic is an understatement, but I think it is just our turn to go through these trials and I must indeed choose steadiness.

With that said, I won't linger on too many of them because most of them are just truly life's interruptions and meant to keep you frustrated and down, but are NOT really bad stuff. I have known bad stuff. This is just stuff that needs to be dealt with.

Here is one that you will find interesting. 

Yesterday, Wednesday was our scheduled small group meeting to discuss that chapter. We usually grab a quick bite to eat out on Wednesday nights. We had driven down close to the bridge to eat which turned out to be quite helpful. You see, Little Palmer locked himself in the bedroom with Lindsay's phone. Tyler is out of town. You might ask how did the little guy lock himself in a bedroom. Well, the previous owners had an outdoor lock on the master bedroom and Lindsay had never had a key. Yes, they should have changed that door knob long ago, but hadn't. Lindsay had been in there packing (I will tell you about that in a minute). She and Tucker walked out leaving phone, dog and Palmer in the bedroom. He closed it and it was locked. Luckily, she remembered she had some kind of thing that the in-laws gave them that they use to talk on each night that operated through Facebook Messenger. Of note, I haven't had a FB account for very long. I received a bit of frantic video call from her about what to do. She had been trying to open it with a credit card. Fortunately, Jeff and I were almost at the bridge heading to Destin so we started her way. I texted the group we would be canceling for a non life-threatening emergency. 

Turned out, Jeff had to break the doorknob with a hammer and Little Palmer was happy to be out. He only wanted Mama for a bit after that. A dear friend of Lindsay's arrived with pizza and fruit for supper. All worked out and thankfully, we closer by being down by the bridge to get to them.

Lately, each day seems to be a day of trying to navigate the chaos, but dog gone it I will persevere with the Lord's help. 

Moving on to other topics and to turn this post around...

May has been a pretty month around here. The flowers, the sunshine, the wonderful temperatures that some might call too warm, but just my cup of tea have made the chaos a little more tolerable.

Not shown in these flowers is the magnolia which has had a banner season this year.


Flowers are just another reminder that God is here even thought the world seems absolutely mad these days. I go out each day to just walk around and soak up the beauty.


I have been reading too. I read a book about the Korean War and then watched a show about it. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and the show since I am an amateur history buff.

I have been stitching.

I did complete my May ornament for my SAL. 


Above is the backing fabric. This again is from the book called The Magic of Christmas. Believe it or not, I saw one on Amazon last week for $20, not the usual $400. If I had mind at that moment, I would have sent out a shout to all. I doubt it is still there.


I also have worked on my sunflowers. This is my current progress.


I would be much farther along on this if I had not had to rip out a pretty big portion. Pooh and double pooh. It occurred because I can't see anymore. I will share that story in a later post, since this one is getting long and I have a prayer request.

Yes, there was Mother's Day and I am getting too tired to write much more:)

Oh and our house insurance went up $4,500 - soooo you can imagine it is high. Help me, Lord!

That is not my prayer request!

Lindsay is having surgery next Tuesday in Atlanta. If you will please keep her in your prayers for safety and a successful surgery, I would much appreciate. I need all my prayer warriors on this. Tuesday morning- 9:45. For those of you have followed for a long time, this is to alleviate the problem caused by Palmer's birth almost 2 years ago. It has been a long wait, but hopefully Tuesday will arrive and be a good thing. 


That is all I have and I am sure you are tired of hearing me moan. I am truly ok, but I do feel like I could kick some of the realities of life right to the curb.

Choosing the steadfast love of Christ to guide me,
Sandy










11 comments:

  1. I wish I could give you a big hug, Sandy. Life does throw rotten stuff at us sometimes. My mantra... Relax, God is in control. Prayer requests noted and promised. Do please keep us posted on your dear mom and Lindsay (and the boys). As always, I love your stitching projects. So lovely as are your flowers! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sandy, you're a model of copying and keeping good things in mind even when surgery's coming up and little guys get stuck and older ones hurt!
    This is when I like to remember the Shakuhachi effect: the belief that everything that happens is part of the music of life.. There are no interruptions.

    I got a lot of peace of mind from accepting that during a long and terrible time in my own life. Not advising you, but you reminded me of it as I read your string of trials of all kinds. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers begin now for Lindsay's surgery
    and everyones good health

    Your needlework is gorgeous!

    The first photo is beautiful, very serene. You don't sound moaning to me. I hear a gentle release from all you've had to deal with in reality. Scary for Palmer to be locked in. Heroes for arriving to save the day.

    Years ago I had to hammer off my front door knob when I got locked out. The maintenance guy lost the spare key to the new lock, not on their master key.
    It takes a lot to hammer off a door knob.

    The book sounds like what I need to read about now. I wrote the title down. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless your heart....it does seem that things come in threes doesn't it?? But you are right, it is a season of life that has its trials and we have to make up our minds to just move through each event with God's help. I will be praying for Lindsay for sure!! Love all your stitching...those sunflowers are gorgeous. As we used to say back in the day, Keep On Keeping on!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, prayers will be lifted for Lindsay and her surgery on Tuesday. Prayers for you during this season of chaos. I believe the Lord sends these periods of chaos so we are reminded that he is in control and to lean back into Him. Your ornament looks fabulous and your sunflower piece is looking so pretty. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, Sandy! You have been going through some rought spots...you are in my thoughts and prayers now. And especially yes, I will be praying for Lindsay as she has that surgery next week. Praying it will definitely fix the problem and that she will soon be doing so much better. I assume you will be taking care of the boys during this time as well? Praying for God to give you grace and strength for all of the above. Your dear mother...I know things get difficult with our elderly parents...I have a lot of experience in that department having cared for my mother, my father and my mother in law all over a span of about 12 years or so...there were some frustrating and difficult times, but looking back now I am so glad I was able to be there for them when they needed me most. I miss them all now so much...but I wouldn't wish them back on earth. They are enjoying the joys of heaven now and I will see them all again one day in a far better place and with no frustrations. Yes, we pray for steadiness in these days and times. We are going through some new challenges now, but they too shall pass. May God be with you and your family. Take care my friend. And take time to smell the roses as often as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, first of all I hope Lindsay's surgery goes well on Tuesday, Sandy. I've been wondering if that was going to be happening and I hope and pray for her and her doctors. Your first photo is so lovely and I only wish you were able to enjoy more moments looking at that beautiful view, Sandy. You really are a genuine example of the "sandwich generation." I hope you can find some ways to take more time for yourself this summer as I assume the boys will be off school and with their mothers (at least after Lindsay recovers)? Sciatica is the worst--I've had it twice and I do feel for your mom. Wish I lived closer and could lend a hand... You take care now during this stress-filled month ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quoting you, "Receive Reality as It Arrives." That is a good thought and it looks like you're getting a lot of practice with it. We should all follow this advice. Some things we just cannot change on our own but just need to accept and make the best of it. God gives us grace for all we have to face.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still no sign of my comment. Just want you to know I'm commenting! But your spam file is probably in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, Boyd, sorry that I hadn't published your comment. It only shows up on the blogger part where I have to specifically go and look for it. Things haven't slowed down enough for me to do that or even comment much. It will get better:)

      Delete
  10. Sandy: You do have a full plate, sometimes life does get in the way of relaxation, I have Lindsey on my daily prayer list, please keep us posted on how things are going.
    Oh my I would look for a different insurance company, that is crazy to go up so much.
    I hope this week is a better and much quieter week for you all.
    Love floral photos.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy