Monday, October 9, 2023

Stitching, Reading and Puttering in the Flowers

Stitching has taken a back seat lately, not by choice but more by necessity. A couple of weeks ago I really decided I had to add it back. I stitch in a hoop and that stabbing that needle down through the linen and back up is a soothing movement, so I will share some of what I have done. I love reading and puttering in the flowers and cross stitching. All 3 of those hobbies have been neglected as of late, but when I do any of them they bring joy. 

For awhile, my mind was so scattered so the stitching was all over the place as well. I started a little summery piece and put it away, then started another summery piece and actually got a good start on it. That is the following picture.


Then I really wanted to do that idea that has been in my head forever to stitch my little town like the Christmas towns I have seen done. I started the first little palm tree and then had to put it away. That one will really have to stay down until I get some more settled days. I will keep it in my head until then.


I did manage to push out another Christmas ornament for the Stitch Along. The following picture of Santa and his toy sack is from the famous Christmas book that I have used so much. This one is for September. I need 3 more to have my 12 for 2023.


The next picture shows the backing fabric. With all of these ornaments I am using stash.



My plans for the ornaments all along were to be used for gifting, so I want to keep it up!



Then in all my scattered state of mind, a new sampler came out called "A Florida Sampler." It sparked a memory from a page in a book I read earlier this year about the local area called This Is Your Life by Walter H. Reddick, Sr. I loved that book so much. The author describes in great detail the bayous of Choctawhatchee Bay and even our own bayou. Here is a diagram from the book which was in Destin on Choctawhatcheed Bay. 



The book reminded me so much of my own ancestors who lived along the Alabama / Florida line and probably experienced much of the things as this author's life.

As soon as I caught a glimpse of the new sampler, I wanted it and had ideas of personalizing it some for here. Oh so many things to stitch and so little time and for right now a very scattered mind. I have stitched an orange blossom to start. 



The sampler will be my large project and the ornaments my small quicker things as time allows and energy to stay up at night.

I have been just as scattered in my reading with multiple books started. Yep, I am having trouble concentrating, but I also feel a little more peace settling over me too. That would be the Holy Spirit comforting me. The world is as crazy as ever, so we need some diversions don't we?

Speaking of the world...hope your family tight!!!

Let me go off on a tangent before I share a book. Tucker will start kindergarten next year and back in the early spring Lindsay was all aflutter about his preschool. When he started daycare at almost age 2 a church right near her office opened up a daycare. It has been convenient but also a wonderful little place for the boys, but they never were able to put together their final piece which was a real preschool experience for that last year before starting school. Lindsay and the other mamas in Tucker's class began looking around and one of the mamas that lives in the actual community came up with another idea. A church that actually has an elementary school was the solution and so the mama went to work to get Tucker and her son enrolled. It means Lindsay has 2 drop offs but they are on the way to work and not hard to get in and out of. Palmer goes in with her every morning and helps get Tucker's things all unpacked. She says it is quite a scene. Lindsay has been able to pop in a few times and read to the children. It is all going wonderfully, but here is the story....when we went to the zoo last month Tucker showed off his new ability. He can say the Lord's Prayer all the way through all by himself. He has learned so much in addition to the Lord's Prayer. Such a blessing.

Back to books. I read a lot of nonfiction so there is no issue having multiple books going, but I have been challenging myself to escape in fiction more; something I once loved doing. When a friend suggested a book I looked on the Libby app to see if the library had it. They had both the written version and audible version. I opted for the audible version and am really loving it. The only thing is they pronounced Biloxi, Mississippi wrong:) All the ways we pronounce our little towns and locations are a need for a post of its oqn. In fact, I would venture to guess that 75% of those of you reading wouldn't pronounce the bay that I live on correctly. There are so many places that the locals have put their own special spin on. Anywho, the book is quite good thus far, so if I think it is worth noting I will share the title later.

I also planted some pansies in one pot. I chose some that I would call blue. You may remember last year there were no pansies to be found which I think was due to the hurricane that hit Fort Meyers. I finally found some orange ones and ended up falling in love with them. Now, I want more orange and I don't know if they will be here this year, but these blues ones are sure pretty. I put some marigolds in the swans since the geraniums gave up the ghost in the hottest summer ever. 

I will share pictures of my flowers later as this is about all the time I have for.

Adding back the hobbies even though life is completely chaotic and full is important too. Even if I don't have much time it feels good to add it back to my days. 

Mother fell twice this week. Only one required a doctor visit, but she is getting so feeble. Taking it as it comes and leaning on Jesus. 

We had our first cool autumnal day with temperatures yesterday. It was so nice. I have much to do so hug your family and count your blessings....Sandy



9 comments:

  1. I am glad you are finding joy in your hobbies, Sandy. Even a little time spent on them will help you rest. I am glad Lindsay has found a preschool for Tucker. I am assuming he will continue there for kindergarten and his elementary schooling. I am sorry to hear about your Mother's falls. Continuing to pray for her and for you. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's a stressful time for you. The stitching may help and planting flowers is always comforting. I worked in my flower beds some today. The weather is so gorgeous! Sending you lots of hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to hug you and tell you to slow down and just breathe. I think you are attempting to do that with your cross stitches and reading and planting...that's all good therapy. It just seems like you have so many things going on in your life right now. My heart goes out to you. I love the sampler you showed that shows Ocala/Salt Springs...which is where I used to live before moving to this house! That's where we had bears and deer, etc. Sometimes I miss it, but not enough to go back. LOL Yes, it is cooling down here as well, and it is very welcome indeed. I've actually been able to sit outside for a little while each day, and that is such a joy. Take care my friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you deal with each situation. God is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sandy: I am so sorry your Mother fell.
    Nice progress on both designs.
    Sometimes life gets in the way and many things have to go by the wayside.
    It is a cold 50 degrees here brrrr.
    the boys are growing up so fast, kindergarten next year, I can still remember when you showed us photos of Tucker as a baby.
    I am an avid reader, now reading American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins, a sad but great story line.
    Please remember to take time for yourself.

    Hugs
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs to you, dear friend. I always love seeing your stitching and admire your talent and patience. Reading is such a great escape for me. Glad you are getting back to fiction you enjoy!! Prayers lifted for you and the family. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I'm curious how you pronounce Biloxi. I can't imagine it being pronounced any other way than how I know it to be pronounce. lol Please share! And the name of your bay. A post on such things could be very entertaining. I have found it entertaining having lived in 5 different towns in different parts of Indiana how locals pronounce the names of streets, towns, locations in ways that do not resemble the actual spelling, or their origins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to find a post when I got home from my stitching retreat. And that is the perfect sampler for you. Will shoot you an email soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is clear evidence that you are progressing through what is required of you in this challenging season of life. I'm glad you were able to get in some stitching and reading. Sorry about mom's TWO falls recently. That just seems to come with everything else for our moms with their current frailties. So glad Tucker can say the Lord's Prayer all by himself. What a blessing that is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you are able to find some time for your hobbies, Sandy--even if it's just a bit. Fifteen minutes here and there can add up! I just love seeing your basket of ornaments--and your newest addition is adorable. I really need to stitch some by that designer soon.

    I can hardly believe Tucker will be in Kindergarten next year! Glad he found a pre-school until then. My little grandson goes two mornings a week to a preschool run by his church and really seems to be enjoying it. He always says he "doesn't want to go" but then jumps out of the car and goes in with no problem. And at the end of the morning he's always happy to report on his activities and projects for the day.

    So sorry to read about your mom's falls. Sigh... It's just so hard to watch our parents in this stage of life. You take care now and keep fitting in stitching, reading, and gardening whenever you can ♥

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy