Thursday, October 19, 2023

Thursday's Treasures: Art

     


For this treasure post that I am mostly writing for my kiddos, I am sharing my dabbling in art. I heard someone say this in a teacher workshop once when trying to choose a favorite subject.... "I am the jack of all trades, but the master of none." I immediately popped up to look over because that is me. I have so many likes and am eclectic in many ways. The one thing I like that probably never wavers is traditional home decor with a wee bit of country for whimsey, but country can be cluttered in my own home and that drives me nutty, so mostly traditional. This jack of all trades thing explains my choice of favorite subject as I can make a case for all of them and my choice of reading material which is all over the place.

How did my venture into art go? Great, but again not a master. It all started around 7th-8th grade when I broke it to mom that I would NOT be taking any more piano lessons. Now, I was absolutely positive I wasn't going back, but you never told Mother no, so I presented her with a well thought out plan of how I had no real talent in it and the teacher recognized it and it was agreed upon by us both. I promised to continue practicing, but that I could only read notes. I heard nothing and was never going to go past a certain level. I kept my word and dabbled in piano playing on many days without the stress of going to an awful lesson. 

Then my mother went to some meeting at a ladies house at church and discovered that she taught art lessons in her private studio out past her garage. Her wheels began to spin and so art lessons began. If I remember correctly, I took art for 2 years and I really liked it although there was no doubt in my mind that I was again mediocre and that there was REAL talent in the room. I was always ok with that. I worked hard at everything I did and excelled enough to be recognized for hard work, but I was never really talented at anything. I think it is still the same today. Jack of trades...master of none. That is not all bad. I think it makes for well rounded if you really want to know!

The woman, Mrs. Gillis that taught the art lessons in her home took a shine to me and we became good buddies. She is a huge part of my faith story, but that would be another story. 

The way it went down in her studio was that there were kids all around doing different things and she would get you started on something you were interested in and you would work on that project until completion. She liked for you to complete your masterpiece and then she showcased it by having her husband frame it.


     

My second project was the oil still life you see above. What you can't see behind this framed still life is a blue ribbon. Yep, you read that right - a blue ribbon. 

Mrs. Gillis had an art show each year at the public library there in Brewton...might I digress another moment and tell you how much this girl loved the library. We moved to Brewton from the woods right outside there when I started 6th grade and it was my first experience with a real library. I had gone to a rural school with a book mobile which I can tell you now was amazing too, but a real walk in library where you could browse and touch the books to your heart's content was so special. I would have Mom drop me off every week and tell her to go run errands while I browsed. I was an avid reader and it was just so special. OK, back to the art show. 

She would have the local junior college art teacher come and judge the material giving ribbons to each medium of work. I remember as my mother and I entered the library to see the art show thinking that I hoped my work didn't look too dorky up next to the older kids' works. I had a charcoal drawing which had been my first work and the one above there since I had only been going to lessons awhile. I think Mrs. Gillis might have helped on the apple in the charcoal. I knew there were really talented kids in the class, but remember my teacher had taken a shine to me and just seemed to like me a lot. She gave lots of encouragement.



I walked down an aisle or two and then I spotted the blue ribbon. I was speechless. For a moment in time I could only be happy and proud and Mrs. Gillis was right behind me to share in it all. Then Mother.    

I was soaking up this moment when I spied Jack who was older and so very talented. The kind of talent that you take out a canvas and whip up goodness without even thinking. He didn't say one mean word, but his face said it all. How could some little middle schooler get first place in this category with that. He was devastated. My happy moment kind of dimmed. 

There is a photograph with me standing my first place painting. I am not knee deep in photo albums, but more like chin deep right now. I actually think that album is mom's assisted living apartment so maybe one day I will remember to take a picture of me back then and post at a later time.

The thing is I didn't feel any animosity towards Jack for his facial expression. I understood! He was way more talented than me. In this one and only painting I had gotten the color mixing right ---maybe needed a little help with the shapes, but I had learned to mix colors and shade which I still use to this day in things. An art teacher just noticed that and like a teacher recognized it. 

I did go another year before Mrs. Gillis decided to hang up teaching herself. I painted the landscape that hangs in our Auburn house. I don't have a great picture of it, but it is one I also love and am proud of. 




I painted a pair of spaniel pups in a basket that my aunt has at her house. They are definitely amateur hour because I could NOT paint the eyes. My last thing was the magnolia that I wrestled away from Mom when we moved in to our current house. It is done in oil pastels which may have been my favorite medium. 



I never did any formal art again, not even in high school when they began to offer art as an elective. I think I had told myself there wouldn't be a Mrs. Gillis lifting me up, but rather just a busy teacher looking at the really gifted kids. I think I understood that too. 

I have always loved art, but I don't think I am missing anything (jack of ALL trades). I kept the oil pastels and used them to make some wonderful bulletin boards. I took pictures of things and blew them up using the overhead projector and colored them in with those oil pastels and shaded them just right. Then I would run them through the laminator and that would blend them even more with the heat. See, I did use the talent. 

The charcoal and the oil painting have been at Mom's house for decades, but they have now come home with me. I have to find a place for the charcoal piece...for now, the closet will have to be its home. I did learn to sign my name small by the end:) 

And this explains why there is a 1st place Blue ribbon taped to the back of the oil painting.  I am proud of it and sorry that Jack didn't get the recognition he deserved, but I am sure there was a lesson in there somewhere and with his talent I have no doubt he got plenty of recognition down the road. 


22 comments:

  1. Your artwork is beautiful. The story behind them, and your lessons in art, are endearing. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I enjoyed that time and learned a lot and also some faith lessons as well.

      Delete
  2. OH my! I would say that you DO have talent for sure! I love your paintings and the charcoal picture. I think you deserved the blue ribbon! I never learned to paint. I loved to draw and did some pastels over the early years, but once I got married and had children I gave up on trying to do any art work. Sometimes I think it would be fun to take an art class now, but the cost of everything is so high, and then what do you do with it once it is done? I wouldn't expect any blue ribbons at this stage in life. LOL. I love that your art work has been at your mother's home all these years, and I love the way you signed your name in big letters. That's part of the folk artsyness of it. Makes it extra special if you ask me! I enjoyed this story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have no idea what I would do with too many more art pieces. My daughter took art in middle and high school and loved it, but like you the supplies are so expensive so we just use our creative outlet in other ways. She did an art night with friends in college and did a fabulous cross which I still have hanging here. I think she really has talent.

      Delete
  3. You sure have a creative gene. Your paintings and your handiwork are all lovely!! Thanks for sharing this post today!! My post tomorrow has one of my humble paintings in it. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can't wait to see it. You are talented too my friend. Those cakes!!!

      Delete
  4. What fun to see your work and the stories attached to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful story of your journey with art. I enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done...I like art as well and I wish I could have had some lessons when I was young. Like you, I often think of myself as jack of all trades and master of none. Which I guess I should be thankful that I have some talent in several areas. Not everyone can be a true artist. But I do stitch well and that has stood me in good stead all these years and has probably kept me out of jail.lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally enjoyed reading your art post this morning, Sandy! Your still life and your charcoal pictures are amazing. I didn't like art in middle school and never took it in high school. I am thankful for my stitching as it allows me to be an "artist". Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stitching is my favorite hobby for certain. I think Mama was always in the search for the next great thing for me since she didn't have those opportunities. She is lucky I liked the art, because I did not like piano and she made me endure it for years. I still am at the same level of skill!!!

      Delete
  8. Oh, I envy you being able to paint, Sandy! That is something I always wanted to do, but I can't draw or paint at all. That is why I stitch--it makes me feel artistic :) Your paintings ARE good! I mean I can tell what each one is and your color choices are so pretty. I'm glad you've saved all these through the years--the kids will love having them some day. Enjoy your weekend ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. I am proud of them and art lessons were way better than piano! From the moment I picked up the cross stitch I knew I had found my lifelong hobby. Even in the years when life was too busy to do it I kept all my stuff dreaming of the day I could find time again.

      Delete
  9. Sandy, writing about these wonderful memories is a real treasure for your children and grandchildren. Thank you for sharing with us. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I hope someday they will enjoy the words and pictures here and not feel like they have to hold on to all the things. They can spread them out or donate them and let someone have fun thrift shopping.

      Delete
  10. Hello Sandy: Beautiful fall display on your counter, Gus looks adorable on the bed.
    This is a lovely post, thank-you for sharing your beautiful paintings, sad that Jack felt that way, someone has to win and it was you, congratulations, you do have a great talent in painting.
    I am looking forward to seeing the charcoal drawings, I hope you share them someday.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine. The young man was truly talented and I not nearly as much. He made me aware of it, but I think I kind of understood his sadness.

      Delete
  11. Watercolor is the hardest. I have always wanted to do that because those speak to me at galleries but that is the one medium I have not mastered. I think it is good to put some of these treasure posts down so they know why I really like the objects or the story behind them. If there is one thing I have learned in cleaning out homes is that you can't keep it all but the story can be kept here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are SO talented! I love each one of your art treasures you shared. I always wished I could paint or draw, but that was never in my wheelhouse. I tried, but my brain just thinks differently. I prefer to admire the works of others. Your teacher sounded so amazing. It sounds like she poured so many good things into you. And yay for winning that art contest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love reading about your art experience, Sandy. Painting is such a mystery to me. I love that magnolia! You are inspiring me to consider digging into my childhood and telling some stories on my blog. What a gift that you are sharing yours here. And they're so captivating to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried to sprinkle them in when they hit me. I know our children can't keep everything...I am living that now, but I think it will be fun for them to know the story of why I had it hanging around.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy