Thursday, April 25, 2024

Ole Florida Sampler and More

 The Ole Florida Sampler is back from the framer and it is gorgeous...the only problem is that I am a horrible photographer. With that said, if I wait until I have time to photograph it better you might never see it.


I am completely in love with it.


The pictures do nothing for the colors of the matting either. Trust me- in person they are perfect. Even the lady at the store was going on about it. 

Where is it going to hang?

That might be the million dollar question. I have no idea and really no room for anything else. I am going to have to take old things down to put more up. I have a print above my couch that I could easily part with but due to the sun in that room I would never want to put my stitching there. I will give myself time to think about it. You know -one of the things I miss in my life with all the business of helping out with grandchildren and taking care of Mama is just thinking time. I would like to just have time to think and not be rushed. I really wouldn't change things but I wish I could find thinking time:)

With my life at this moment, I have rediscovered being a monogamous stitcher. Now, years ago I didn't know there was such thing as any other kind of stitcher. Then I retired and the Internet showed me a whole different world. There are people with so many WIPs (works in progress) that it makes my head hurt to think of that kind of stitching. I will admit I have dabbled in it the last decade and have had a few going at one time, but with the craziness of my life I decided this past January that I would just work on one at a time with maybe a small project to go to if I made a mistake and needed a little break. Often an hour or even a day away can show you your mistake and back to work you can go.

With that said, when I finished the sampler I pulled out one that I had started a while back and I was determined to finish it. It is done -and---I have no clue what I will do with it. Before I get to that, I told Lindsay the other night I was just going to start stitching and put all of it in a drawer in her old bedroom. I love stitching. It gives me great joy, but I have no where to put things. I should probably gift some.

So I have a finish that has completely befuddled me and it is definitely going to the drawer for now. I will show you and then tell you my thoughts on it.


Here is the pattern.


You may notice that there are 6 shells in the pattern and only 5 in my stitch. I could tell after finishing 4 of them that 6 was going to be unpleasing to the eye. That odd number rule at play, so I chose the nautilus shell to finish it off because of the height. I only had to move one stitch on the green to fit just right. Dear friend, you know who you are ---sent me the green floss. It was the perfect color to add some variegation to the stitch.

I stitched this on 20 count Aida. I actually didn't know that even existed until I saw it on Instagram. I liked it. It made this small, but even with the small count it is just an odd stitch. What to do with it, I have no idea? It seems incomplete. I think maybe I will be on the hunt for something at a thrift store or Hobby Lobby to add it to. It just has me stumped now that it is done. I kinda could see that coming while stitching, but decided to complete it and get it out of my project bags. It is 12.5 inches wide and 2.25 inches tall so I will keep that in mind for a search of something to do with it. It seems like it might be a good stitch for a "Priscilla" finish.

For now, I am going to read a book and get to the Advent calendar for Miles.

*****

I did make it to the Armament Museum with Palmer. He woke up that day so excited and we had so much fun. We made it to Whataburger as well.


This was a rare good day for Jeff. He was able to go with us though he had to walk slowly.

I actually don't think I shared what the MRI showed. Remember he had sciatic nerve pain for 9 weeks before the MRI. IT showed severe spinal stenosis. The word severe didn't make things a lot happier around here. He has had PT, and an epidural is scheduled but still 2 months out for that. Surgery is an option but it is a pretty extensive surgery so I don't think he wants that until other things have been tried. Not sure where he will land with it all yet. It did magically clear up for 2 weeks but during PT two days ago it started hurting again, so now he is hobbling again.

Spring is doing its thing despite the coolness of this year's spring. I think I remember 2007 being a cool spring. I know that is odd that I would remember that but it is attached to a memory. The magnolias, day lilies, roses, and live oak renewal have happened even with the cool spring. I suppose I should enjoy the cooler spring because it will be hot soon enough. Even the trees in Auburn were so pretty last weekend. The trees are one of the greatest things about spring.

I haven't particularly had a great start to the new year, but heard a quote the other day that I think is true.

"There is no faith if I know the outcome." 
I have great faith in my Lord and Savior.

Until next time,
sandy









8 comments:

  1. Your Sampler looks great in this frame. The seashell are beautiful.
    Have a nice weekend. Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of Jeff with the boys! Glad he was having a good day and was able to go! Your Florida Sampler is gorgeous, Sandy. The framing and mats are perfect. Well done on the shell finish! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how lovely your framed Florida sampler turned out, Sandy! I know just what you mean about wondering where to put it. I don't have a lot of wall space in my home except for in the bedrooms and the things I have on the walls in the living area are things I really like and would hate to take down. The shells are pretty and perfect for Florida. What about putting it on a board covered with a coordinating fabric and mounting it on a long rectangular woven hyacinth basket or something? I'm thinking about doing that with one of my long narrow pieces. Or maybe even a little drum?

    I'm sorry Jeff's sciatic pain is so bad most days. My MIL suffered terribly from it and even after surgery, she had pain for the rest of her life. I'm glad he had a good day and could spend it with those darling boys of yours. Hope you have a lovely weekend ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your finish is beautiful and the framing is perfect!! Tell your Jeff he isn't alone in the spinal stenosis pain. Mine is rearing its ugly head again. What really helps is a stretching machine at the chiropractor's office. Kept me pain-free for nearly three years but I need to make an appointment again. I wish him the best. Praying for you both, dear friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your sampler and I am sure you will find the perfect place for it. Spinal Stenosis...yes, that is something that will have to be dealt with at some point. But yes, try everything first. I hope the epidural works for him!! I like the shells too...perfect for your home on the water. I have found that I like working on something for quite a while...I do not think I will ever be monogamous again but I like to get things done and get them framed. I finished Many Mansions this week and I look forward to having it framed. I have quite a few charts on my To Be stitched list....but those can wait until I get some other things completed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy: The shell design is lovely, the fabric color and thread color are perfect together, I am an odd number person, I too would have left on of the shells off.
    Jeff and the boys looks so adorable, I hope his pain is managed and it goes away soon.
    I am always a one at a time stitcher except now I have two going, makes me go nuts, I am not one to have so many projects going, I like to see an end to the project and get it fully finished and displayed.

    Catherine🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, it looks so beautiful all framed up! What a treasure! That frame is gorgeous! Glad Jeff felt well enough to join y'all at the museum. I do hope he can get some relief for the stenosis other than surgery. When you mentioned stitchers that have lots of "works in progress", it reminded me of my daddy, who was an avid reader and always had several "books in progress". Haha! The shell piece is also so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy, your newest finished sampler looks perfect in the frame and with those mats. If you find a place to hang it, please take a picture for us. My first thought when I saw the sea shell stitch is that I have been thinking of making myself a small lumbar pillow. At church, I have the awfullest time sitting comfortably, and I have concluded I just need to make a small pillow and take it with me (or frankly, leave it there). After seeing the type of pillow that would work well for this in a flea market, I've had the idea to do some floral embroidery or cross stitch on a piece of fabric before sewing it and stuffing it into the perfect sized pillow. Anyway... in your corner of the world, sea shells would make a sweet motif for such a pillow - if you know of anyone who has such a need. Just an idea!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy