Monday, June 26, 2017

Stitching and Gardening

Last week's time away gave Hubby and me some time to think about the farm. We love going and it such a beautiful piece of property that we know will have lots of good times ahead, but we are trying to do too much. I already knew that, but I had hoped he would too. 



We both run at things full steam. We have decided that we won't do a garden next year. We are just going to get the fruit trees going and enjoy the weekends up there a bit more. There is plenty to do just to keep it maintained without adding a garden. We both love growing things and I am sure down the road we will work at it again. The amount that we were doing is a reasonable size if we were up there more often. I am thinking retirement will find us up there a bit more and then a garden will be doable.

Oh, and I finally researched pecan trees. I have missed the deadline for fertilizing, but I think the previous year might have been a dud due to simply a very dry summer. There are some signs of pecans this year.

The above picture is of the yellow onions we planted. I thought they would never bulb but they did. I gathered them all up and the only thing left in the garden is the pumpkins which are doing fantastic.

Jack-o-lanterns this year!!!

Now, for stitching. I was at Goodwill the other day to purchase a frame for my little blue house that I stitched. As I was looking for frames, I came across this.

Stitching that made it to Goodwill.

Anyway I felt sad that someone's stitching was there. Some of mine will probably be there too one day. It is even signed up by the sheep. I once did that too, but lately I don't do that.

I picked up for $3.00 because the framing and mat is worth that. For now, I just thought I would put it at the farm.

It replaced one that I wanted in the Gathering Room at the farmhouse.


You may remember that I had this one on the shelf.


It blended perfectly with that blanket and looks better than the Goodwill one in terms of color, but I had originally planned to put it in the dining area of the farmhouse.

I had planned to put the latest sampler with it, but they do not look like they did in the picture and won't look good together, so my latest one will go on the bedroom shelf. 

Are you totally confused now?

I also had this rooster print that Mama gave me years ago and have never had a place for it. Since I am not using both of the samplers on the sides of the window, I used the rooster on the other side.


I did not get a full shot because the light was streaming in and I couldn't get a good shot. Maybe later.

I plan to finish the other sampler today or tomorrow. I don't like it nearly as much as the other one with the blue bird, but it is ok.

I am anxious to do a few Christmas ornaments.

Have a good day all,
Sandy




9 comments:

  1. There is a Flosstube movement called Save the Stitches, Sandy. Many cross stitchers are picking up pieces of stitching at yard sales, good will etc. So now you are part of the movement. I hate to see someone's stitching for $5 or so at a yard sale or at at the thrift store here in Decatur. Like you, I go there looking for frames. I am glad you are going to just enjoy your farm. It is a full time job to keep a big property going and adding a garden is a lot. We just have to do weed eating at our place. Although we do have lots of limbs and small trees down in the woods that Marvin is slowly burning each time we visit. Love seeing your little farm house come alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check out Save the Stitches. It would be about time for them to start showing up since most of us started in the 80's and 90's.

      Delete
  2. I just stumbled upon your blog. What a sweet rescued cross stitched piece! I enjoyed reading your post and plan on going back and reading your earlier posts. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin. I am glad you enjoyed it. I retired from teaching 3 years ago and just always enjoyed reading blogs. I think they are kind of going out of style, but I am keeping on. Just recording the highlight reel of my life.

      Delete
  3. I love that you rescued that sweet cross stitch, Sandy! It looks so nice in the farmhouse -- absolutely perfect with the blanket, as you said.

    So glad you are not going to work so hard at the farm garden. Maybe another year. It's great that you both recognized you are trying to do too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks..I am hearing lots of people saying they are finding stitched pieces in Goodwill. Arlene says there is a whole Flosstube site on it. I guess it would be about time. We all probably started in the 80's and 90's. Either way their should be some good frames to purchase.
      A reminder nothing lasts forever.

      Delete
  4. Hello, I am so glad you found and rescued that Home Sweet Home...
    Your one busy gal! I wish I had not done a garden this year, berween my dear friend being sick and the grasshoppers. I loss 6 baby chicks tonight in a rain storm!
    I am just so sad tonight! Enjoy these summer days and evenings!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A garden does take a lot of time to do it right. I have been reading about your friend. It is hard to watch someone go down.
      The rain here has been crazy for the month of June. Yesterday was the first day of sun on the Gulf Coast for any length of time in two weeks. It has rained a lot and hard. I am so sad about your baby chicks. That is awful.

      Delete
  5. So glad you rescued that stitched piece. It always makes me sad to see them in thrift shops... And I LOVE those blue gingham curtains of yours--did you make them?

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy