Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Soup Time

I am sharing a recipe that I have promised for quite awhile. I love making soups, and it is about to be soup time. This one was made in the heat of August for the first time. I have made it several more times since.

I found it on this website...http://damndelicious.net/2014/10/29/sausage-potato-spinach-soup/

I was looking for spinach soups, but more tomato based. However this one caught my eye, so I gave it a whirl. I am writing the directions and ingredients for it below, because I changed it up with the sausage. If you want to see lots of pictures and directions pop over to the link.




Sausage, Potato, and Spinach Soup

1 tbsp olive oil
1 pound Jimmy Dean hot sausage (the above recipe called for Italian soup)
1 tbsp McCormick's California Style garlic salt (if you have never used this is a must have for your kitchen)
1 onion diced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 crushed red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
5 cups chicken broth
1 pound potatoes diced
3 cups of baby spinach
1/4 cup heavy cream

Brown sausage in olive oil. Crumble sausage as it cooks.
Stir in spices and onions and cook until onions are transparent.
Season with salt and pepper.
Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Add potatoes and cook until tender.
Stir in spinach until it wilts.
Stir in heavy cream until it is heated through.

It is very tasty and quite easy to do, so it is very easily a night meal. It would be hearty with a salad and bread.

I worked in my garage today. It was the first day I have ventured outside to work. The true awful heat is gone I think?!

I changed out my table to more of an October table.



I added a little more Halloween stuff which is little since I don't have kids or grandkids. I have a couple of Jack-o-lantern votives in the living room. That is the extent of my Halloween stuff.


I have been stitching, but nothing big to show right now. I am rotating each day with something new until something screams at me, "Finish Now!"




10 comments:

  1. Soup and a good bread are the perfect fall meal and this soup looks and sounds delicious! I will certainly give it a try. I like your Oct stitch vignette too...Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I stitched the months after I retired. This is my second year to display them. I loved doing them.

      Delete
  2. I am beginning to get into the Soup Mood as the temps cool a bit. Thanks for sharing ! I love your October house. I moved mine to my coffee station after I took it apart and worked on it a bit. I was not happy with my corners!!! I decided that since I was displaying it on one of those clip board frames I would just line it with interfacing and trim it to size. Now my corners are perfect.lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it looked really cute on the clipboard. We are just too hard on ourselves, although I am sure we will get better at this over time.

      Delete
  3. Sandy, thank you for sharing the soup recipe. It looks delicious. I, too, like your October piece. Have an enjoyable day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy, I will be trying this soup recipe!!! We love soup! I think I have everything I need for this one on hand, so this will be going on my menu for this week. Thanks for sharing. It looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remembered the first time I made it I had it all on hand, so that made my decision, but it is very yummy.

      Delete
  5. This looks like a wonderful supper. It is finally chilly enough here in the evening for soup season to begin.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that soup looks so tasty, Sandy! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us... I really do hope to get more into cooking (and soup-making!) this winter now that I've retired :)

    I love your little October cottage stitching, too!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy