Tuesday, October 24, 2017

What I Have Been Reading

I have been away from my blog for over a week. I don't intend for that to happen, but sometimes you just don't have a thing to tell. That isn't always a bad thing.... boring can be good.

The weather finally cooled and I spent time outside last week without hating it. I did a little yard work and some just sitting outside to read.

I am almost finished with my first dog cross stitch for my son's Christmas present. If all goes well, I will share the finished dog tomorrow. Other than that I have no worthy pictures to share.

Gus is growing like crazy. He is 27 pounds now. He is getting a bit more destructive in the house. No big things like a the stairs post like Lemony did once, but he has a thing for seashells especially my starfish. I have had to move all my shells to higher locations. He also ate an expensive book. If I leave for more than a quick trip to the grocery store which is very close to me, he has to go in his kennel.

Gus is a pleasant happy dog though. He actually reminds me of our very first Springer with his temperament. He is pretty calm for a Springer and very easy going.

He is long and skinny right now. Those paws tell me he is going to get bigger.



I read two books this month...well, 1 and a half.

I will explain. There was this book that my husband ordered a couple of years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Miracles-What-They-Happen-Change/dp/0147516498/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508847734&sr=8-1&keywords=miracles+metaxas

Miracles sat in a basket by his chair for a very long time. I was cleaning the basket out and planning to take it to the bookcase downstairs when I started looking at it. The book is divided into 2 parts. After reading the introduction, the author says you would be fine to read part 2 first and then come back to part 1. That is what I did and definitely recommend to read it as such. Part 1 is an explanation of miracles and different beliefs among churches. I actually skimmed much of that. Part 2 is a collection of miracles. Extremely interesting. My daughter is now reading it.

My other read for October is a new release.

https://www.amazon.com/Church-Small-Things-Million-Little/dp/0310348870/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1508848071&sr=1-1&keywords=church+of+the+small+things
Church of the Small Things was a great read. I thoroughly enjoyed the author's snippets of life that have great lessons for us. Life is really the compilation of small things that add up to a life. One of my favorite stories in there was the beige wall with the big neon picture on it which she shared as an analogy of two different people who complemented each other.

Now, for the book that Gus ate...

I have a affinity for decorating books. I don't buy them new very often anymore. I have ordered a few and then had to resell them on Amazon because I need to really like them to keep them. I have a couple of oldies from the early 1980's that I adore. When James T. Farmer released his new book, I knew I needed it. I have three of his other books and all are fantastic for the person who likes coffee table style books.

So, I ordered it and loved it. I knew I would have this one for years to come. I unfortunately forgot and left it on the coffee table. The coffee table seems to be Gus's playground. It is just the right height for anything left on it seems to grab his attention.

This is what he did to it.

The only thing left to the book jacket was the back.

I had to splurge and order a new one. I love this one. It is just classic and timeless photos.


I have to check Gus's mouth often. I will say, "What are you eating?" He will stop chewing immediately and give me the innocent look. I feel like I am constantly sweeping his mouth for things.

I will leave you with one more photo of him. Be back sooner hopefully with a few stitches.

A plastic lid he was about to chew. 

Have a great day all,
Sandy







14 comments:

  1. Gus is a cutie and I hope he outgrows his need to chew (and eat) stuff. Thank you for the book recommendations. The one by James Farmer looks fabulous. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping Gus outgrows it soon. He has been generally wonderful, but he needs something in his mouth all the time. I am constantly changing out his toys and buying bones.

      Delete
  2. Gus just couldn't help himself. I've been considering The Church of Small Things. I love, love Melanie's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the book. I liked that she brought it all back to the little things we do that really count.

      Delete
  3. Gus is a very handsome boy..too bad he loves to eat your books!! I love a good book, thanks for sharing one of your favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. He is a cutie. Someone asked to see a bit more of the decorating book, so I added some pictures today.

      Delete
  4. I love Gus!!! Both books seem very interesting. So glad you were able to find another decorating book...it looks great. Can you scan a few pages and show us more of it? RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gus has already mastered that innocent expression - who, me?
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I want that decorating book Sandy. If you ordered a new copy, that says a lot. I have an Amazon order ready to place and I might add that!! I am enjoying being at home this week. I love Georgia but I needed the time to rest and relax at home. That Gus...sounds like my grands.lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually reordered directly from him. It was no cheaper on Amazon even with my Prime account. At the time I tried to reorder, they were backordered on Amazon. I did love the book. You need to follow him on Instagram for lots of eye candy. He has two accounts ---one personal and one company related. He is from Perry, Georgia. Kelly has featured his home on her blog.

      Delete
  7. I love decorating books and never heard of that one, I'll be sure to look for it next time I'm at a bookstore. I hope Gus grows out of his chewing habit soon! He is one sweet faced pup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is adorable. I posted a few pictures from the book at request from another commenter.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy