Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Update from the Coast

Well, my little grandbaby...hunk of love... is one week old today

I am just going to say that life has been wonderful and hard all at the same time.
Let me explain with this picture.




*You see my daughter was crying her eyes out before this picture and afterwards as well.

She came down with a big case of postpartum hormonal tears flowing happy and overwhelmed all at the same time.

A  surge of uncontrollable tears and feelings of inadequacy.
I am sharing it because while I am a blogger of mostly happy stuff, life happens here at our home just like everywhere else.

Lindsay has had a year of hell at work. She has held an office together like a seasoned 50 year old at the age of 29. She has been called upon to take of problems at her place of work that most people will not experience in a lifetime. She has done it well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think all of the taking care of big problems for everyone else coupled with an unbelievable hurricane that even though we were lucky has affected our lives in many ways added to the emotional mess.

She has had a couple of panic attacks and spent a lot of time crying which made the sleep deprivation all the worse.
Sleep deprivation was a big part of it.

The storm left the hospitals here and in Destin with overloaded and incredible demands. There are two hospitals in Panama City and both have been closed.
Lindsay's hospital in Sandestin was so overloaded that she spent her visit in the delivery room. She didn't get to a recovery room as they had no rooms. She didn't get the normal nurses who guide the parents through the recovery.

Y'all there are so many sad stories all around here. IT is unbelievably heartbreaking. I think that and a couple more things just led to a bad start.

Grammie (aka...me) has spent the last three nights though helping reverse Tucker's lack of day and night understanding and letting his parents get some much needed rest has turned things around.

Anyway, just a summary...the worst part is over and I think we are on to normal OR as normal as having a new baby can be.
They are trying it alone tonight and I know they will be fine.

Now, back to the picture. Lindsay wanted me to take a picture that she could post on social media, but then she chose not to for awhile. She said the photo was just another adding to idea that all is well when she was having a hard time not crying and feeling inadequate. I was proud of her. I told her to own it and be a help to others.

******

Life will not be normal along the Panhandle for a very long time. There is just so much devastation to the east of us. I could tell you story after story of how people are having to temporarily relocate here to get through. Schools are closed and will be for a long time over there.
It has caused so much traffic congestion.
I wish I could say it was only like July, but it is like July on steroids even in Fort Walton Beach.

Anyway, there has been no cross stitching, no cleaning mine own home, etc. Poor Lemony and Gus have spent a lot of time just being let out to go potty and back in. They were so happy to have me home tonight.

I am sure my blogging for the next few weeks will be sporadic at best, but I am in love with this thing called a GRANDbaby. It truly is GRAND.

So, let me just share a few pictures😊

4 generation selfie....
Me with no makeup. I am sleep deprived now:)


Mother is so excited. We went to her house today where she had cooked lunch. Lindsay ate well and Great Grandma and Grammie entertained baby.


Let me just say...I think this is going to do wonders for Mother. With Lindsay being off from work until January, she will visit with Mom at least once a week.

Now, I rarely like pictures of me, but let me just say...this one says it all. I am beyond excited to be a grandma.

This one makes up for the no makeup one above, but let's be real....this was Sunday after church:)

IT IS THE BEST feeling.

I am not sure how I am going to feel about posting pictures of my little man. Sometimes I just have a hard time with the posting of pictures, but I guess there are cameras everywhere anyway...(Big Brother 1984 style exists even though I try to think it doesn't).

With that here he is close up.



Take care everyone and remember the Panhandle in your prayers. Seriously it is far reaching in the needs department.
Sandy aka Grammie






13 comments:

  1. Your daughter is gorgeous. Please tell her most of us went through some type of self doubt just after we had our first baby. No sleep is also a BIG contributor. Thankfully she has you!! Isn't it amazing how an 8lb. bundle can turn our world upside down!?!? Thank you for the reminder to pray for the Panhandle. We hear nothing of it on our local news (southern Ca.). Patty McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful post. Being 'real' is healthy for your family and for those of us who are following you. We need to know how life works and how people get through the wilderness experiences. I will continue to pray for your family as adjustments are made to life changes.

    Thank you, too, for the insights about the hardships relating to the hurricane. I have wondered about such things but the local news (here, anyway) has not said as much detail as you have. We pray for all those affected.

    You look wonderful, makeup or not! And I love your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is precious and I LOVE all the pictures. I was telling Amelia about Lindsay's tears yesterday and Amelia says you feel so crazy because you are not particularly sad but you just cannot control it. It took her right back to Kendall's birth and how overwhelming it was!! I think FAKE Book, makes many life events look wonderful when they are truly filled with stress. Things will get better, it just takes time. I hate that Lindsay's birth experience was less than ideal but thankful you did not have to deliver him at your house.lol Tell Lindsay I wished I had looked as good as she does as a new mom. I have one picture where I look like a zombie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet little bundle of joy and how nice to get the 4 generations together and photos to remember it! I hope everyone settles in and enjoys this special time. We didn't understand about the hormones years ago but it sure helps to recognize your feelings and deal with them. I'm glad you're close by to help! Take care of yourself too my friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sandy, your bundle of GRAND is so precious. Thank you for keeping it real! Prayers being offered up for Lindsay, her husband, you and all the family. Praying for those hardest hit by the hurricane as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone in the pictures is gorgeous! Congrats on the precious grandbaby! I have 5 grandchildren. It gets better with each one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No telling how many new moms y’all have just helped jump over the moon with happiness in knowing they’re not alone. Or crazy. It’s so healthy to talk about this stuff.
    And he’s adorable...just like his mom!
    I cannot stop thinking about the people of Florida. I understand how bad it is and will be. I had people staying in my house that I hardly knew after Katrina and I live 6 hrs away from New Orleans. But we just had to help. It was so sad. And since I was RIGHT THERE a week before it hit, well....brings it all back home. I pray every day for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very happy that your grandchild was born well, and that you can now enjoy the great time of a grandmother.
    All good wishes to you and your daughter.
    Hugs Martina

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is just adorable and I can see where he got his good looks from! You have a very attractive family, Lindsey is beautiful, just like her Momma and Grandmom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post, Sandy... Everything is NOT always a bed of roses after a new baby is born. I had pretty bad postpartum depression after my first son (and only with him), but back in the early 80s no one talked about it. Thank goodness I got through it and went on to have two more wonderful babies.

    Your family generational photo is so wonderful--thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a happy time for your family Sandy. Congratulations to all of you. Your precious bundle of joy is just that precious. RJ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandy, oh your poor sweet daughter. I remember those days/nights. So kind of you to help straighten the baby's sleep schedule out. All you ladies look beautiful especially without makeup! And the baby is so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is no house on this planet that doesn't need frequent maintenance and as a home owner if you're having trouble organizing your plans regarding home improvement, there is absolutely no need to worry for you. There are a many my profile TV shows that impart enlightening knowledge to home owners about undertaking home improvement projects.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy