Sunday, October 7, 2018

A Storm of Activity

I am going to discuss the real storm in a bit, but first I have been a "storm" of activity this past week. I think I have my seasons and months all mixed up. After all, it is hot. I took a real long lazy break this summer. I am not sure what happened with me, but I just got lazy in all areas of my life. I do have a chronic disease with autoimmune conditions, so I don't know if I just really had some lethargy that was associated with that, but I just got lazy and didn't get back on track with my usual start of school.

Tasks have been put off and exercise has been almost null and void. Anyway, this week I picked myself up and got my rear in gear.

I have been on a tear this week cleaning and getting some order back into my days.

I will share more of that as time goes, but today I have a few family things to share and a bit of stitching stuff to share.

We have a storm headed into the Gulf this week and that means it is going to hit somewhere. I don't want to wish it on anyone, so I am praying it fizzles out to be just a rainmaker moving quickly so no flooding occurs anywhere.

You know we all bemoan how hot it is, but October is hot in Florida...even in northwest Florida. The difference this year is....it is actually hotter than normal. Normal is warm sunny days with a little cool in the mornings and evening where you don't hate going for a walk or sitting at a football game. No, we rarely get to wear winter clothes such as scarves, but we do maybe get to add some long sleeves and jeans in fall colors.

My daughter was born in late September and right after her birthday for 28 of her 29 years we can usually expect a break in the oppressive heat and humidity. Then we embrace the warm days and cooler mornings and evenings. I have marked all those breaks by her birthday.



November is fall in our neck of the woods. The few deciduous trees we have that would turn colors occur in November and we get some pleasant cool days that we can wear a sweater and a scarf. Of course, that is occasionally. I can remember wearing shorts on some Halloweens and Christmases and some where we were bundled up.

September is the month for hurricanes here and we usually breathe a sigh of relief with October. Well, that was the case until that one year that it didn't cool off and we got Hurricane Opal in October. I wrote about it here.

Now, with this one I have no idea what is going to happen. I have felt it was way TOO HOT for anything good to come out of it. I have decided I will NOT watch the Weather Channel though. Gee whiz...they do more harm than good with the hype.

I am as prepared as one can be that has lived along the Gulf Coast for ALMOST all of her life. I have everything and won't be out in the rush that will ensue this week. I always try to put my Nancy Drew Girl Scout prepared self together and plan ahead of time.

My only concern this year is my daughter is pregnant and due the 19th, but she is having lots of Braxton Hicks contractions (although I had those for two weeks with her). She goes to the doctor on Tuesday morning, so hopefully they will make a plan or at least put her mind at ease, because right now she is a mess.



Now for other stuff...
We went out to my son-in-law's job site today on 30A. This is his first building project where is the actual lead project manager. It is nearing completion. In fact, one of the unit owners moved in this weekend. Mostly all that is left is cleaning up and just small things like caulking etc.
I wrote about it earlier here.

I took some pictures for you...
Lots of pretty kitchens and views.

Kitchens...




Views....




There are 12 units. We went in three of them today. The above one is ground floor which is really second floor and was my favorite view.

All units share the pool on the ground, BUT...


The swankier and richer ones have their own balconies complete with fireplace and a mini pool.




I know I saw two with that set up. 

The penthouse or top floor has a full size pool. We didn't go all the way up this time. Crazy cool views.
I don't think I would want to live there full time though...it would be too much like a hotel.

We are really proud of Tyler. His office is close by to this one. His next build will be at Alys Beach which is bit further down the road on 30A.

This condo is right across the street from the Gulf Place for reference.
View back towards the street.




I also attempted to make my own cording for one of my stitching finishes. I used Vonna's tutorial. She is amazing and shares so much. The Twisted Stitcher.



I worked on some Christmas stitching. I am calling it quits for tonight. Barring no baby and no storm this week I will be back soon with some more talk.

If we have a storm...well, it will be awhile, because I know I won't have power for two weeks. That is another whole story. That will be a small price to pay for being safe and sound though.

Remember Lindsay and the baby in your prayers this week.

Oh, and I think some of blog issues had to do with my Safari update. I downloaded another browser and hoping for better times there as well.

Sandy


9 comments:

  1. Sandy,

    I was able to access your blog this evening with no problems at all, and hopefully when I check, "I'm not a robot" and Publish Your Comment, you'll be able to see this.

    Your stitching is perfect, as always, including the cording around the edges. I saw Vonna's blog today with her recent finishes done for others. The gal is incredibly prolific!!!

    Like you, we hope the storm out in the Gulf fizzles out into just rain and no problems. But you are very experienced and will do fine.

    Praying for Leslie. I hear more babies are born during stormy weather ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I meant to comment on your son-in-law's condo building. FANTASTIC!!!! I'd live there and cross stitch on the balcony every single day. What a wonderful place it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!! trying to catch up on my blogs and immediately thought of you when I saw news of hurricane....hopefully it will just fizzle out. Praying for ya'll.
    OMG....where, in what lil town is that building your son is doing??
    I was just thru there with a friend who is wanting to buy something beachfront..would love to send her this info. Stopped in Seaside at that rooftop restaurant and had their legendary crab cakes...to die for! When you go thru there, stop and have some. Best I've EVER had.
    Also prayers for your daughter ... it will all be ok...God always comes to our aid with new bebes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the storm fizzles out as well. Supposedly we are getting some cooler weather this week. I hope so!! We are headed to Grimmwood this weekend for FA Tech Homecoming so I would like to be able to enjoy the game without heading to the cooling stations to keep from having heat stroke. I am still pulling for the 19th for Tucker's birthday!! And that condo complex....I would love to move into one of those! Oh well, if my ship comes in , that will be on the list, a condo at the beach! I have felt rather sludgy lately as well. Not sure why...like you said, I need to get my rear in gear this week.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying the storm fizzles for you and everyone else who may be in its path. Also adding a prayer for your daughter and grandbaby to be. Tyler's project looks fabulous. Your cording turned out looking fabulous. I think this weather has caused everyone to be sluggish. Have a good week and please stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your cross stitch project! I can't wait to get back to stitching but I've been decluttering since we got back...and tired all the time too. Hope we don't get really bad weather. I'll pray for you and your daughter...and we can pray for each other. Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandy, praying you are all safe in the storm and that your daughter/grandbaby are good too. I'm not sure where you are on the gulf. I hope you weren't hit by Michael directly. Your cross stitch is so sweet. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's Wednesday night now and I'm sure you're prolly without power but just checking in to tell you how much I'm thinking (and worrying) about you and your family....hoping pensacola didn't get the brunt of Michael. and also hoping your son's new construction weathered the gulf as well...

    check in when you can, k?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sandy...we just got back to town yesterday and I am so happy to read your next post how you were spared the hurricane. I was so scared for you and many, many prayers were said. I too am so upset about the people who have lost so much. Thank you for your next post that has the comment feature turned off. It gave me so much to think about. It was a cat 5 in my mind too. I pray that all the people in the area where it hit did evacuate. I heard that everyone on base did and they got the direct hit. Prayers being said for everyone in that region of Florida. RJ

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy