Thursday, December 4, 2014

Christmas Decorations

I am slowly getting my Christmas decorations up. I have NEVER EVER been this far behind. I am not sure whether to blame it on retirement or too many changes in the house (new sewing room and leak in the foyer).



Anyway...I am just taking it as it comes. The tree is up and that is all that really matters. I have never been an over the top Christmas decorator since I worked full time, and the Christmas holidays were very stressful as an elementary school teacher. I always hated the years when we got out just a few days before Christmas, because I always felt like I missed out on Christmas. 

Sharing just a few things going on in all the construction. The lantern I filled with red balls and greenery. I planned on using it in the foyer when the tile is finished in there, but I am kind of liking it in my dining room.


The centerpiece for the dining room table until closer to Christmas. I will share the table once it is set. I am absolutely loving my new candle holders that I picked up at The Plantation House in Dadeville. They are so pretty and will match my Christmas china perfectly.


The view from the buffet side of the dining table . I will share more of the banisters once the foyer is complete. Hopefully today!!! 


View of the buffet with my Willow Tree manger scene. 



I pulled out my Christmas china the other day. I have new linens ordered for Christmas. I just wanted something new. The china is an old pattern that I saved from my mother-in-law when we inherited my hubby's parents'  home. It is called Silver Pine by Kent. The silver is hers also. I am using it for the first time this year. It has been stuck in a case in the china cabinet since we moved in 12 years ago. It is called Spring Waltz by Wallace. I decided it was time to clean it up and use it.


I usually don't decorate every room. I honestly never had time while I was teaching. 
It also began to drive me crazy and felt like clutter. I now believe it wasn't the decorations but the business of the season. For 31 years, it was trying to make the kids I taught have a perfect December (lots of pressure these days), keep up with activities at church, attend many concerts since I had kids and my hubby has been a school administrator for quite a while. Life was too cluttered during December too really slow down. I usually wanted the decorations to go the day after Christmas. I don't think I will feel that this year.


I bought these red candles for the dining room new candle holders, but they were too big, so off to the bathroom they went. 


Also in my bathroom. I have had the little tin since the late 80's. One of those little students gave it to me. 


My daughter didn't like the pillow, but it was made by a dear friend of my mother's. Lucy, our springer spaniel doesn't like pillows in the living room. She makes a point of going behind me to knock them on the floor, so bedroom was the only place to put it.

I am off today to help out in a classroom for the first time since retirement. I am helping out with a science experiment for a friend. I will let you know if I have missed it. I don't think that is going to be the case. I am loving retirement. So many things to catch up on.

Hoping they finish laying the tile today, and that I can get my main level in order this afternoon.
Sandy








2 comments:

  1. Hi, Sandy! I found your blog from Imparting Grace. I, too, am a retired elementary teacher. I retired in 2013 and life is great! I look forward to keeping up with your goings-on! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry, Thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy