Thursday, December 13, 2018

Christmas House 2018

I am capturing the home's pictures for 2018.

Each year I feel like I have settled into retirement a bit better and know what I can do and what I can't and what I can tolerate for an entire month.

The foyer table looks no different than last year other than this year I added the bows to the candlesticks. I think I alternate years on that:) Some years it strikes me as busy and other years not so much.


I moved my church pew out of the foyer and it is once again a spacious area with only my Christmas cactus and the table above. I like it, but.... 

do I like where the pew has landed?


I have to live with it a couple  of days. It came just outside the foyer to the other side in the open area. I have moved the desk that has been sitting in the pool table room for 5 years to the Auburn house this past weekend, so I will be able to see it all a bit more clearly and ponder it this week.

Across from the pew sits my favorite little bunny.


In the remaining bit of the foyer is the Auburn tree which had been sitting where the pew is now which may move to where the desk was....

Am I completely confusing you...

It may turn into a game of shuffle board later.


I think the Auburn tree is screaming for me to finish my Santa ornament which I completed tonight and will fully finish tomorrow.



Across from the tree is the one of the other banisters.


And then down from them is the downstairs banister.


The simple girl in me can't take anymore garland than that. I have tried having it over the double doors going into the family room or on the built-ins, but I start going nuts by Christmas. Too much clutter.

The dining room table.


We do eat in here on Christmas so it will get a tablecloth and the fancy dishes.



The bows on the sconces got some pine cones added this year.

Grandmother Palmer's rocking chair.
The buffet always gets the manger scene out before any other decorating is started. I am hoping to get the stable this year.


Oh the corner cabinet in the stairwell got a cross stitched piece.


Moving into the family room, I am in love with my Christmas pillows.



Each end table gets a votive and a little something small.
I love the candles on these dark evenings. The votives will stay out into January.


Yes, those our dog kennels in the background. Both pups have their own space, but covered with a cute linen curtain of course. It is great when guests come over...you say, "Go to your box!" and both are trained to go and sit there and not disturb people who might not be dog people.
Not too many of those come to our house though:)

The bookcases get a few things strewn in, but like I said I can't take too much or I start going crazy.



I have mostly gotten it down to just a few favorites. My mother-in-law gave me the reindeer one Christmas at least 30 years ago. It is a favorite. She had one as well that I passed onto my daughter when we moved in here. I should really do a few pictures of Lindsay's house because she has it so cute. I have given her quite a few things from my stash. I had so many things that had been gifts from kids while teaching but I held onto them. I have showered both my kids with stuff and I am happy to say they are using it. 
It is nice to see it in use and I can remember at their house.


The tin boxes are from probably 1986 from students. Both are just so me. 

The tree in the day with lights.


And without... 
You can see the holes, but I really do love all trees. 



At night, you get two trees in the room with the mirrors reflecting the light. It might be one of my favorite things. I can sit in my stitching chair which is front of the tree and still see the lights.


The sewing room gets its Christmas tree from the 1970s. IT was Mom's.


The guest bathroom is basically the same. I added a crystal bowl of ornaments and some candles on the counter.


The kitchen is the same as last year.


I have stitching on one counter. I use the island for most food prep so it is safe to add the stitching.


A little stroll for posterity's sake. 

My sweet little Tucker today. Lindsay sent me this. Seriously...he is so cute. 
Spoken like a true Grammie.





12 comments:

  1. Your home is beautiful and tastefully decorated. Like you, too much decorating can make me uncomfortable. You've done well. And of course, sweet lil' Tucker is the best addition to your home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandy,
    It looks magical with you, you have beautifully decorated and it will certainly be a great Christmas.
    Your tree looks class, even if it has a few holes, so beautifully decorated, they do not stand out.
    A very cute picture of Tucker.
    Have a nice 3rd Advent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy, I enjoyed your Christmas tour. Tucker is adorable in his Christmas jammies. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am like you, too much and I get overwhelmed. That Auburn tree is so cute! But the cutest is Mr Tucker...he is really growing. When does Lindsay go back to work? And will you have him full time when she returns? Another good friend just had her first grand baby and she said she never imagined she would be one of those gushy mushy grandmothers but SHE IS!lol I welcomed her to the club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so the gushy mushy gramme. I had no idea! Lindsay goes back January 7th I think. She is going to do a 1/2 day on the 4th, so we can practice times:) My plan is for her to use the Mid Bay bridge from Destin to Niceville and I will pick him up in Niceville so that will cut her time in half. People might think I am crazy, but I just want to help make it easy for her. I have nothing I HAVE to do other than family.

      Delete
  5. Aww... it must warm your heart to see little Tucker cradling your cute ornament, Sandy :) Loved seeing your pretty home all decorated for Christmas. I do the same with my little bunny statues--put ribbons around their necks. I love your Nativity, too. I have a wooden one from my mom that I treasure :) Enjoy your weekend--hope you get your Auburn Santa all finished up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy, your home is beautifully decorated. I am in love with that gorgeous lace on Grandmother Palmers rocking chair!!! Is that from her? It's stunning. Tucker is just precious and what a happy baby, love his happy face!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tucker is absolutely adorable in his Christmas finest! Love all the little ribbon touches you've added to everything. And your trees are gorgeous! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy: Merry Christmas, Tucker and his first Christmas ornament how sweet.
    Thank-you for sharing all your beautiful decorations and trees.
    I am like you if I really get started I can go nuts decorating, I need to keep it down a little this year.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks so perfect Sandy. Your house is festive and just right. I too love the Auburn tree. But, most of all I adore that cute little boy with his first cross stitched ornament. Precious!!! RJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Tucker! I wish I could hold him! What a sweetheart. I love your decorations - except for the Auburn tree, but you knew that would be controversial, right? I absolutely love that church pew. I've always wanted one, but yours is a great style and size. Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved seeing your beautifully decorated home but your little one is so so sweet! AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy