Monday, September 14, 2020

An Out of this World Trip!

 I lamented about a lack of summer in a previous post. The past few days went a long way to help those gloomy feelings. The family took a few days off to share a special birthday with me (well, a wee early) at one of our most special places...Cape San Blas. 



We took three trips with the kids between 1997 and 2001 and stayed at the same house on the bay. I think we found our new house to do at the very least three summer trips!

This is the house for 2020 and beyond...



If you aren't familiar with Cape San Blas, it is still on the Panhandle of Florida but it is not like the touristy 30A. It is an actual cape and forms a bay that is not fed by a river, but by the actual Gulf of Mexico itself. This makes it just unbelievably pretty and unique. It has incredible sea life on the floor of the bay that is not seen around here. It is quite shallow and great for snorkeling and finding great treasures...starfish, sanddollars, gigantic conch shells with creatures inside, sea urchins, and scallops. The water is more like the green waters of the Gulf so yes, it is a wonderful place.



We will definitely not wait so long again to go. I think my birthday and the hurricane almost two years ago prompted the desire to go. We are somewhat afraid it will go the way of 30A and lose the Old Florida look and feel.

It is not a place to go and do the touristy things. There are no restaurants on the cape. It is half national park and half beach houses on stilts which took a beating during the storm. They are building back furiously and I think our rental was pretty new as well as all the others on our row. 

I had the most wonderful time and totally relaxed. I walked the beach so much that I was worn out. I pretty much only looked at my phone for weather and to take pictures. Nothing else...I highly recommend it.

Lindsay decorated as soon as we got there so I also got to experience a themed birthday...first one in 60 years. It was the perfect theme ---SPACE--- and I just happened to wear my NASA shirt on the way over. I had no idea:)



Tucker had fun with balloons as well...


I got sugar cookies and a cake that Mama made. And yes, today on my actual birthday I am eating healthy and trying to get all that bad stuff out. We grilled one night and made spaghetti another. On the first night, Tyler stopped in Port St. Joe and brought pizza. That is the last town on the way to the cape. 




For reference Cape San Blas is about halfway between Panama City and Apalachicola on the Panhandle. 

We arrived on Thursday and Jeff, Lindsay, Tyler, Tucker, and me went out on the bay for a short trip to to scallop in the bay. 



On Friday, Paul Allen and Katie arrived and I stayed back with Mom and Tucker and let them go with Jeff. They didn't get as many scallops as they had hoped but had a ton of fun. 


Tucker was unsure of the scallops because if they are still alive the shells will open slightly.


We also spent some time playing on the beach.



You can see it was just a hop, skip, and a jump from the house. 



I had a beautiful view from the house porch. I am not sure if you can tell, but the water is in the picture..It just sort of blends in with the sky.

It was sort of overcast during the trip but that actually proved to be beneficial in knocking back some heat and making it pleasant. Jeff went out one morning and caught a rainbow early that day.


There were green flags until the last day. GREEN FLAGS ---unbelievable... The Gulf was like a smooth pool.



Mother did very well. She has lost so much strength and had great difficulty navigating all the stairs on the house, but we helped her and she took 3 very short walks on the beach with me. She seemed to enjoy being with us all though.


She will probably sleep for two days to rest, but I am glad she got to go.

I could go on and on, but suffice it to say..it was a wonderful birthday celebration and I am indeed blessed. I am so grateful for 60 years. I came home to cards and texts so I am enjoying this birthday.

It is a very windy and blustery day. We are under tropical storm warnings and the wind and rain is expected to pick up after lunch, but I think we are in the clear or at least I hope. 

I will stop and share more later, since this is very long. I will be back with some fall decor, more trip thoughts, and stitching later.

Oh, I collected 60 shells to commemorate my birthday trip. Just what I need more shells!


Thankful for another trip around the sun,
Sandy




13 comments:

  1. So glad you had a happy birthday. With this year we need to count our blessings and enjoy the treats we get to have along the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday sweet lady! And of course you need MORE shells! What an amazing trip! Love the photos and happy faces. Your balloons and decorations are great fun! Enjoy your week. Get some rest and HAVE FUN looking at your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, looks like you had a wonderful time.
    I realised the other day that I have a year and a bit until I turn 60, where does the time go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY! What a wonderful way to celebrate! Everything looks perfect! I have not heard of Cape San Blas, so you have taught me a thing or two with this blog post. I'm glad your mother was able to go and enjoy it with you. I'm sure it did her a load of good, albeit tiring. It's a good kind of tired.

    You look wonderful. Thanks for sharing your special time with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, happy 60th birthday!! What a great way to celebrate YOU!! I can't imagine anything better than the beach and people I love!! You look fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, dear Sandy! It looks like a spectacular bday! Birthdays are so much more special with family. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ♪♥♪ HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR SANDY ♪♥♪ Aww... your birthday celebration looks fabulous--I can tell from those big smiles on your face how much it meant to you to be surrounded by your kids, husband, Tucker and your sweet mom. That is so special that she made a cake for you; I bet it was delicious. And those space-themed cookies are adorable. Cape San Blas sounds like someplace I would enjoy, too--I am not really into busy beaches with lots of shops and restaurants. So glad your early birthday celebration was special--and welcome to your 60s! Hope this next decade is kind to you, Sandy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Sandy! What a wonderful celebration you had. I share your birthday month..mine was the first (born on Labor Day)! I would love to go to Cape San Blas some day...it looks absolutely wonderful in every way. Your family sure went out of their way to make your special day very special. What a great, relaxing and enjoyable trip you all had. Our friends have offered their beach home to us to use and boy I would love to go. But, this autoimmune disease really has me hurting and the side effects I think would not let me be able to make it there. But, I'm hoping and praying to get better and the first place I'll be off to is the beach...it is my happy place. RJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you the happiest of birthdays, Sandy! Your trip to the Cape sounded fabulous and the pictures you shared incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great trip for your birthday, Sandy! I’m so glad you were able to celebrate with your family in such a pretty spot. You’ve been on my mind a lot lately. I hope the storm skips your neck of the woods, and I hope everyone there stays safe. Sending a great big birthday hug!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful birthday trip! Your descriptions and the pictures take me to a completely different world than I live in. It looks glorious. I've been to the ocean a few times in my life and while I'm a forest gal, there is nothing quite like the ocean and mountains to remind me of how awesome and mighty is our Creator God. What a beautiful and fun looking house to stay in - and I'm so glad your mother was up to doing this trip. You are blessed, indeed, Sandy. I hope your 61st year on this earth is filled with good things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looked like a wonderful birthday trip. Happy Birthday! Now I am wondering if that place was damaged by Hurricane Sally after you left. And also how are YOU where you live? I am concerned that your area may have taken a direct hit, so I have been praying for you all. God bless you my friend. I hope to hear soon that you are safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I needed a happy post - birthdays, rainbows, sweet kids and happy smiles. Good for you. Glad you celebrated in style.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy