Thursday, September 17, 2020

Sally, the Devil

 Hello Friends,

I would like to introduce you to Sally.


She was my firstborn, well maybe my first Springer baby. I am quite miffed at the National Hurricane Center for using her name for devil work without asking. She was an angel who lived to 15 years of age and her claim to fame other than being an angel was being a Leap Year baby.

Now, for the other Sally...I consider myself so grateful that I don't have more damage. 

Those of us who grew up along the coast and just inland use the names minus Hurricane to talk about those monsters. We refer to them like famous people that all people should just know by their first names...Camille, Erin, Opal, Fredrick, Eloise, and Ivan to name a few.

Forever now, I will have to say Sally, my angel's name and associate it with trouble.

I got power today and I must tell you I have NEVER had power back any less that two weeks.

Ivan who came on September 16th, 16 years ago left without power for 16 days. Weird, huh?

Anyway, I have been in the yard all day cleaning up and will say a prayer of thanksgiving for a hot shower.

I only have pictures to share with you of my little yard, but the news will share the mess around the area.

Sally came to the day 16 years after Ivan to pretty much the same area, however Ivan was a monster storm and very wide and of course we were on the east side. That was one of the most harrowing nights of my life. He traveled in slowly, not as slowly as Sally though. The water was inches from coming in our home. 

I know that I am on the water but I am actually elevation wise higher than many neighborhoods in Fort Walton Beach. However, the bayou is like a wind tunnel and it is so scary.

The similarities for Ivan and Sally are the long time they took to come in and location. The difference is surge. Ivan had a higher surge and wind strength. Sally rained for 48 hours solid and hard. She also blew for 48 hours. Ivan did not last that long, although he was an all nighter ---just not a two day storm.

Here is our dock. It actually came up higher than this. We got another squall line after I took these so add about 6 inches more to the height.


This one was not projected to come to us, so many many people left their boats in ---over here many can consider themselves lucky. Ours was still out from our trip.


The pine trees should not be in water and bark is like a missile to the windows.


The oak should not be in water either.

Now, with Ivan the water was lapping over the second deck. where the stone wall porch is ---see the Adirondack chairs. 


For us ---no comparison to Ivan, but out of the beach and just to the west of us they got hit so hard.
LOTS of erosion and roads washed out.

Each storm has its own story so that is why you have to talk about them with their name. They are like people with stories all their own.

Some tidbits...

I know many have seen the news. The Three Mile Bridge is a big deal. It is a MAJOR artery. I actually almost posted a story about it just a month or so ago and never got the time. The bridge is new and built so high...like scary high...not as scary as the Charleston bridge but still scary. IT was built in amazing quick time. They built it and the bridge in your pictures was to be just the east bound. They built it and made it 4 lanes with not near enough room...hence you have to grip the steering wheel with a death grip when you drive a pick up truck and I do. 

They tore the old one down and had started the west bound lanes. Eventually they were to be two lanes with emergency lanes on each side. Well, now it will be awhile.

The deal is this storm caught everyone off guard. Probably shouldn't have but it did. There were barges out there that in normal situations would have been removed. 

They also had another one hit Garcon Point Bridge which is an alternate route. IT should be a quicker fix. This leaves I-10 as the only route in for many who live in Gulf Breeze and Navarre and work in Pensacola. 

In storms here when Highway 98 has been out ferries have been used to bring people across Choctawhatchee Bay, but Pensacola Bay is a bit rougher bay than ours, so I don't know about ferries.

I can't describe how scary it is to see the water and winds blow in. The bayous look like a choppy bay with waves and whitecaps. The rain blows completely horizontal and 100 mile an hour wind is hard to describe.

We only got around 60-65 this time.
Thankful!!!

A few more things...

We watch the local news when a hurricane is in the Gulf headed our way. We are blessed along the Gulf Coast to have wonderful meteorologists. I guess we have weather that would be desirable to cover, but we did switch over to the Weather Channel and Arlene, you might find this interesting. 
The guy along the bay with a white fence behind him was just at the end of Palafox, the street where we ate at the Tin Cow.

Rainfall totals at Orange Beach were 30 inches. That is simply incredible.

For nature lovers...
I was picking up in the front under the live oaks. I was collecting acorns because that is so me.
There were some with the caps on and I collected a little container full...
Usually by the time they get to the ground they have the tops off.


But then I found some attached to the fallen limbs and there were some that hadn't even gotten ready to fall.


We had lots less down in the front circle because our neighbors in the circle all went together this spring to have our life oaks trimmed. Saved us a lot of work today.

Now, let's wrap it up because I have been aware of storms since age 8 and could talk for days about the little names.

Some might ask why we stay here --- it is home. I can't imagine living anywhere else. I live for the salty air. 

Some would ask why didn't you leave... that is simply an entire post for another day, but it was supposed to be a 1 and not even hit here. There is a big difference in each and every category.
I did try to leave for Opal and it was a complete nightmare!!!

If you have any interest...here are two more things...

I am putting a link here for an author who writes a column for the Destin newspaper. He says why we stay and live here well. I didn't know his wife was from the town I grew up in until about a month ago. He tells part of my Ivan story when I arrived finally to see my mama in Brewton. 


I am leaving you another link... This is Brewton. So sad. My folks had a business right in the middle of that water during my growing up years.
The Army Corp of Engineers bought them out and were supposed to prevent this from happening again. We moved to the other side of town with the business. With 3 feet of rain and a slow mover, it didn't work all these years later.


My takeaway from this one...
The National Hurricane Center is not going to be my guide anymore. They haven't gotten the strength right in the past two years and they missed the track on this one.
Not their fault, it is just the way it is.
I will go back to living with the mantra...IF IT GETS IN THE GULF, IT HAS THE POTENTIAL TO GET ME AND BE A 5!

*With that said, there is a low in the Gulf, so I am going to sleep tonight and double check all my preps tomorrow morning. BTW, it is right where Opal formed and believe me our family has a very sad story for it.
I think Sally, the devil caught everyone off guard because we put too much stock in the NHC.

***************
Yes, I am a prepper...the kind that lives in hurricane country...not a hoarder kind on TV. 

This is how we survive the heat that comes after most...


Window unit for one room for whole family to sleep in and generator on the deck to run it and the refrigerator.

I will be back in a few days with something besides storms ---stitching and fall decor. 


I did stitch through some of the winds and rain and long time. Nervous stitching I call it. I will update you on the details later.





And yes, I put out some fall decor. I will celebrate Thanksgiving, but Christmas may come out early too. This is 2020 and I am ready for the hope that Christmas offers and possibly a better 2021.



ONE MORE THING...
Just as my family made me feel special over the birthday trip, many of you blogging friends made me feel special checking on me. Wow, y'all are amazing. I think I was even a topic of conversation in the Walmart in Ocala. You can't beat that.

Saying prayers of thanksgiving for a strong house and roof over my head.

Lifting up prayers for those who need it to the west and north and even out West with fires.

Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised.
Even in the tough times.





12 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord. Been praying and hoping to hear from you to hear how you were doing. So thankful for answered prayers on your behalf. I can bet who was talking about you in the Walmart in Ocala. If I still lived near Ocala, I might have been there too! Thank you for the good news...and Praise the Lord for His watchcare over you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to see this post and know you have power again. It was a scary storm but I'm thankful you didn't have major damage. I can't believe you were able to do some stitching. I'm always a nervous wreck with the wind and rain but I love living here too. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Gossip in Walmart?...that is just outrageous! hahahaha! But then again...that's what friends are for! Lots and lots of hugs, Diane (the blog friend that lives very near a Walmart)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered why you'd been MIA but didn't know it was about the storm. So glad you're safe and recovering. What an ordeal. I hadn't connected your location with the storm at all. I think I'm glad I didn't know before, or I'd have been worrying helplessly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness you and your home are okay! Been waiting for a post and you have been in my prayers! You were a topic of a few Facebook comments, too, by the way. Thanks for checking in and letting us know you are okay. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are safe and the things that need to be fixed can be fixed. This has been some year....Marvin is taking me to lunch at the Shrimp Basket in Cullman today as we had our mouths set for sea food. Leta found a condo on Tybee Island so they are going there for a few days. The Atlantic is not as nice as the gulf but the sea air is good for what ails you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy, yes, you were in our conversation at Walmart in Ocala! It was you who encouraged me to introduce myself to Lavender Dreamer two years ago when we were making our plans to move here. (smile) So glad you did!

    Thank you for this report. I will click on the links you provided when my day is more behind me and I have the time to read them. I appreciate all you've shared since facing hurricanes is still a relatively new experience for this gal hailing from a Rocky Mountain High. We did get a pretty harsh introduction to them, however, during our first few months of living in Florida when Erin blasted through Jacksonville -- we spent a night on the floor of our laundry room, listening to our emergency radio, trying to sleep with pillows piled all around us.

    Anyway, blessings to you. Hoping this next one out in the Gulf does not come your way. Thank you for the report.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank God you are all right, Sandy. I can’t imagine how scary it must have been. I watched the news and kept telling my husband, “I think my friend lives right there where that hurricane is headed.” I hope the rain does not cause further flooding and damage. Scary that Sally hit the same day (16 years later) as Ivan... an S hitting the same day an I hit 16 years earlier. That’s a lot of hurricanes (10 more) for the same time period.

    Glad you were able to get in a little stitching. I’m working on a cheery Christmas project, too.

    No big fires in our immediate area but the smoke is thick and hazy. Hard to breathe, and we are all getting headaches. My son’s car, which is parked in the driveway, has a thin layer of ash on it (looks dirty but he just had it washed). I can’t imagine what it’s like in CA, OR and WA. My brother in CO was evacuated as the fire there was within a mile of his home. The Red Cross put him and his wife up at a hotel. I haven’t heard from him. I need to call.

    Have a good weekend. I am so glad you have power and good neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy, thank you for the update. Glad to hear that your power has been restored. We were talking about Ivan and Sally a couple days ago; their similarities and the coincidences. Continuing to pray for your community and the surrounding area. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so relieved to hear you are safe, Sandy, and that your power is already back on. I honestly can't imagine living in a hurricane prone area--I guess you grew up with it and know how to handle things for the most part. You are one brave woman! Will be keeping you and your friends and family in my prayers--I know the recovery must take a long time.

    Did you know that our names are both retired from hurricane usage? I just checked to see if there had ever been a hurricane Carol and it turns out that was the very first hurricane name to be retired way back in 1954! And, of course, the infamous Sandy was retired in 2012. I guess we are both forces to be reckoned with :) Seriously, though, do take care and know that I'm thinking of you ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a good post to read, Sandy - glad you didn't receive serious damage (at least it doesn't appear that you did). What a picture of your dock under water. Whew! Hope the water doesn't rise any further. And what a gorgeous shot of the back of your house! I declare - every time I see more of your house, I'm that much more in awe. What character it has. And I didn't realize you were right on the water. So glad for you that your boat is somewhere else and wasn't damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy and relieved that you and your family are safe and sound Sandy. Hurricanes are so scary. I pray for all the people that had serious damage to their homes and lives. I've been thinking about you. RJ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Sandy, your house is just amazing! As Becki said above, what character it has!

    We've been up north and for half of the time we had no internet or cell service. We had no idea all that was going on in your neck of the woods! So very thankful that you came through it all with minimal damage.

    Those acorns were fun to see. Saw your stitchery project on Instagram and loved it!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy