Saturday, September 19, 2020

My First Cross Stitch Drum

 I made my first drum. I have been eyeing these for ages. I ran into a problem the night we were awaiting Sally, the devil. I needed a floss color for my flower stitch---I had already visited Joann's. I then decided I would pick up another stitch and again, I needed another color. I ended up just doing a floss order...

and switching gears.

I opened up a cabinet and the wool cloth, ribbon, and floss that I had ordered ages ago to do a strawberry caught my eye. I pulled it out and wheels turned. I remembered a pattern I had and I just started stitching. I would call it nervous stitching. We had the local weather on and watched --- waiting to see where that girl was going. There is no way to sleep while it is that close.


Weeks ---Garnet is the floss color.

I stitched and would get up every few minutes to look out the window....


I stitched the top row pretty much in the two days of the storm blowing in.

The pattern was a February 1993 Leisure Arts magazine with a Christmas sampler on the cover. I have looked at this sampler so many times and never stitched it. I liked it but yet, not enough to stitch. For one thing, it was one of those things you wonder where you would put it and it would only be out for a few weeks.



It just came to me that this could work for one of the drums. You can see I took portions of 4 rows to make my two rows. 

I watched Vonna's tutorial, but I did make some adjustments to her margin. I think next time I would even use less margin for the back side and even try to figure out how to make it blend together more.



I think these would be cute on a candle holder.



I definitely will do another one of these. I would love to do a patriotic one. 



One of my biggest decisions was whether to stuff it with fiberfil or sawdust. I think both would have been great. I ended up going with fiberfil.


I definitely want to use less margin on the back side and try to blend them together better.


For a first attempt though, I really like it. I just realized I didn't take a picture of the back. It has about a inch with nothing. I didn't do a stitch down it. It looks really neat, but I would like for it to flow together.

I am busy stitching on three things and awaiting a floss order. I am working on my flowers, my heron, and about to start my sampler.

I am also going to set aside some time to put my Advent calendar together.

It feels cool tonight, but raining again. Our neighbors just to the west don't need more rain. We don't either for that matter. I have decorated for fall. My daughter is a stickler for no fall decor until October 1st, but she texted me the other day that she had decorated. I think 2020 is for breaking rules.

I will share some of that next and a couple of pics she sent me of hers which have my sweet Tucker posing with it all. You will have to force yourself to look away from his cute little self to see her pretty decorations though.

I am so thankful for the many sweet notes, cards, and warm thoughts for my birthday and our well-being with the weather. Thanks so much blogging friends.



13 comments:

  1. Wow, you made a wonderful sampler. I love it more then the original.
    Your drum roll is so beautiful.
    One day I will make a drum roll too.
    Have a nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you certainly did that quickly! And it is so pretty! Great use of your nervous time in the storm! I like to decorate for fall in September so it is up for my birthday...and we can enjoy it longer. I will add more little touches toward Thanksgiving, and then after that it all comes down for Christmas. But I take my time even then. I don't like to rush out of Thanksgiving too quickly. I like to savor the moments of gratitude as long as I can before I get into a frenzy getting ready for Christmas. Praying this other storm that is brewing stays far away from you all. Take care and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy, your drum looks fabulous. I really like the snippets you used from the chart. Well done on being productive as you waited on Sally, the devil to come calling. I hope your floss comes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it can be fiddly deciding how much fabric you want to show where. I am going to cut down the margins when I do Two Red Houses. I do enjoy making these. I like the decoration you put on top of yours. I might try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your 'drum' looks great and your stitching, during that horrible hurricane, is amazing! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy: Happy Birthday, I am so sorry for being late, wishing you wonderful happy thoughts, I hope you have lots of fun and beautiful gifts.
    What a beautiful drum, your finishing is beautiful, I totally love the ribbon on top, it is an amazing finish.
    I love revisiting my old magazines, there are some really pretty designs to do.
    I do hope the hurricanes stop soon, I am so afraid for all the damage they do and the fires out west are horrible, so many deaths it is sad and a heart breaker, Prayers to all who are affected.
    Stay Safe

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful! You did great on your first drum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I decorated for fall too. Your drum is too cute! I really like it. Looking forward to seeing the Adent calendar. Have a fantastic week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love how you take old patterns and make them new again, Sandy. And it's inspiring how you combine elements - this time from one pattern, but other times from different patterns. Your drum is beautiful and a great addition to Christmas decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your drum is beautiful. The pattern and floss color, both, are really striking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We could use some rain if you want to send some to me. Love your drum. Before I read your fabulous post, I never even knew what a drum was. I learn something every day. Have a wonderful week, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet drum, Sandy! I made my first a year ago and haven’t made one since, but I would like to. Vonna’s tutorial made it less intimidating for sure. Yours is perfect as a winter decoration. So I can see you having it on display for a couple of months.

    Stitching has gotten me through a lot of tough times. Glad you had it to help you weather the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That looks fantastic, Sandy! I've never made one, but I really need to get up my nerve and try. Where would we be without Vonna's tutorials? I stitched the top portion of this design in red and the bottom in blue and made them into two tiny ornaments for my tree a few years ago. I do love this one!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy